Some stuff I've heard

Ok, here's some stuff I've heard.

- Don't look for the Orioles to draft Crow. Things can always change, but he's apparently not on the radar.

- The Orioles want someone who is ready go play this summer, not a guy who thinks he's worth a premium price. Basically the Orioles (and a lot of teams from what I hear) don't see the "gotta have" guy in this draft so they are not going to break the bank for a guy with the 5th pick. Expect them to take someone who will sign fairly quickly to slot or around slot.

- The Orioles will be looking for more value picks like Bundy in this draft so if a guy starts to drop because of signability issues and the Orioles like him and have a shot in the 5-12 range don't be surprised to see these kind of guys drafted.

- Overall talent is down in this draft, but good solid guys will be available through the first 15 picks.

- As always, Jordan makes all of his final calls on draft picks and will draft guys based on thier talent, his budget and what he feels is the reasonable chance they will sign for what he believes they are worth.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Don't look for the Orioles to draft Crow. Things can always change, but he's apparently not on the radar.

- The Orioles want someone who is ready go play this summer, not a guy who thinks he's worth a premium price. Basically the Orioles (and a lot of teams from what I hear) don't see the "gotta have" guy in this draft so they are not going to break the bank for a guy with the 5th pick. Expect them to take someone who will sign fairly quickly to slot or around slot.

- The Orioles will be looking for more value picks like Bundy in this draft so if a a guy start to drop because of signability issues and the Orioles like him and have a shot in the 5-12 range don't be surprised to see these kind of guys drafted.

- Overall talent is down in this draft, but good solid guys will be available through the first 15 picks.

- As always, Jordan makes all of his final calls on draft picks and will draft guys based on thier talent, his budget and what he feels is the reasonable chance they will sign for what he believes they are worth.

You da man, Tony! :clap3:

I'm wondering if Crow is going to plummet in this draft. It tells me a lot that his advisor/agent was calling all the Top 10 teams this morning (not including the Nats) and trying to work out a deal with all of them.

- The Orioles will be looking for more value picks like Bundy in this draft so if a a guy start to drop because of signability issues and the Orioles like him and have a shot in the 5-12 range don't be surprised to see these kind of guys drafted.

Well then, if all the reports of what Matzek wants is accurate, it looks like we won't be taking him.

That leads me to believe it's Leake or White -- would I be wrong in assuming that?

That leads me to believe it's Leake or White -- would I be wrong in assuming that?

Wheeler too. He's also considered to be an easy sign.

You da man, Tony! :clap3:

I'm wondering if Crow is going to plummet in this draft. It tells me a lot that his advisor/agent was calling all the Top 10 teams this morning (not including the Nats) and trying to work out a deal with all of them.

Crow's really gonna regret not taking the Nats money last year it would seem.

Every single sign is pointing to the O's drafting Wheeler.

I see three scenarios where that might not happen:

1. Matzek gets spooked by the chance that he falls and indicates that he'd sign for ~$4 million.

2. Ackley drops (though I still think they'd pick Wheeler)

3. Wheeler goes in the top 4. Pitt seems like a strong possibility here. If this happens and we don't want Crow, one of Green, Turner or White seem likely. This isn't a very good scenario unless Matzek is available and the O's go that direction.

I'm not sure why the Orioles would want a slot player that is quick to sign, especially a HS guy?

A HS player isn't likely to help us for 3-4 years down the road at the earliest, so what is the harm if they don't pitch this season? Wheeler may be a good pitcher, but is he better than Matzek? The scouting reports would say no.

College players are likely to reach the majors quickly so it would make more sense to draft a college player that would be easy to sign if we wanted a college player at that #5 spot.

However the college pitchers available aren't worth the #5 pick.

I'll be extremely disappointed if the Orioles are going this route as it would seem we are back to the days of Tony DeMacio...

I'm glad the O's will sign somebody who wants to play this summer and get his career started.The last two years, we've had to wait till the Az. fall league to see our first pick. That gets old.Of course if Ackley falls to #5...

There is absolutely nothing here that should make anyone upset...These are all sound strategies and make a lot of sense.

I was just telling Stoner that beyond Green, I don't really care who they draft...And what I mean by that is it just doesn't seem anyone can really come up with a consensus here and that it is almost, draw a name out of a hat type thing.

Green should be the pick IMO and if he's not, that will be my gripe...But it will be like last year...I probably won't be upset that they take Wheeler or whoever, just that I think Green is the better pick(like Smoak vs Matusz last year).

I am hoping for the values later in the draft...that is where this draft is going to be made.

Archived