Do you agree with Jordan picking Hobgood at #5?

Do you agree with Jordan picking Hobgood at #5?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Jordan picking Hobgood at #5?

• Yes, in Jordan we trust
    • No, what is Jordan smoking?

They can be serious if they want. I'm serious about grilling. I really like to do it. I read cookbooks and grill regularly. That doesn't make me Bobby Flay.

There is a difference between being serious about it and doing it professionally. I respect Stotle, Crawdad and allstar's opinions. I don't take them as Gospel, but I can see that they do know what they are talking about for the most part. But that doesn't mean they can do Joe Jordan's job.

Right, but the idea that no one, anywhere, besides the Front Office is spinning Hobgood as even a top 5 HS pitcher, means that he's not even close to BPA. If you're fine with saving money to get a cheap sign, at the cost of getting the best player, that's fine as an opinion.

I don't think you should reduce what some people on here do as "reading scouting reports on their lunch breaks."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fact that you think the Orioles are always right saddens me.

Finally you respond! I thought I needed at least a bird to deserve a response from you. Did I say I wanted Hobgood? No. I said I preferred Matzek, but if a paid professional for some reason believes that Hobgood is worth the 5th pick then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until Hobgood fails.

My only issue I have is with your arrogance and refusal to wait and see how things play out before you throw a freak fest.

I don't get why you root against the Orioles, of course I always hope the O's are right, they're my team! Whats the point of constantly being negative and complaining about every single facet, I'd much rather be positive until I have a reason to be upset.

I have no problem with people criticizing this pick or the Orioles in general, but that's all you ever do. Ever.

If you think Hobgood would be a bad pick, then that's fine, but don't act like you actually no more then Jordan. You don't and that's a fact. Grow up.

Finally you respond! I thought I needed at least a bird to deserve a response from you. Did I say I wanted Hobgood? No. I said I preferred Matzek, but if a paid professional for some reason believes that Hobgood is worth the 5th pick then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until Hobgood fails.

My only issue I have is with your arrogance and refusal to wait and see how things play out before you throw a freak fest.

I don't get why you root against the Orioles, of course I always hope the O's are right, they're my team! Whats the point of constantly being negative and complaining about every single facet, I'd much rather be positive until I have a reason to be upset.

I have no problem with people criticizing this pick or the Orioles in general, but that's all you ever do. Ever.

If you think Hobgood would be a bad pick, then that's fine, but don't act like you actually no more then Jordan. You don't and that's a fact. Grow up.

I am allowed to have an opinion, as are you. I don't go along with the Orioles for every move they make and that's my choice.

I have praised the Orioles when they deserve it, but you can bet I'll critque them when they deserve it as well. That's me being a fan.

And if you don't like the threads I post in - stay out of them. That's your choice too.

I am allowed to have an opinion, as are you. I don't go along with the Orioles for every move they make and that's my choice.

I have praised the Orioles when they deserve it, but you can bet I'll critque them when they deserve it as well. That's me being a fan.

And if you don't like the threads I post in - stay out of them. That's your choice too.

Nevermind, you missed the point.

I'll echo what Frobby said here:

My feeling is if we pick Hobgood, it will be because Joe Jordan thinks he is the best player available, or at least so close to it that there's no solid reason not to pick him over another guy who would be much more expensive. Speaking as someone who knows nothing about any of these guys, I'll just say that I trust Jordan's scouting better than the scouting by BA or the various posters on this board, knowledgeable as they may be. It's obvious that there is a lot of room for difference of opinion about who is the BPA at no. 5, and how tightly packed the talent is at that spot compared to cost. So, I will trust Jordan's opinion. I don't believe he would pass up someone who he thought had a clear edge in talent merely due to some moderate difference in expense. His track record belies that kind of thinking.

Joe Jordan has enough of my trust that if he takes Hobgood he truely believes Hobgood is at or very close to the other prep pitchers who are thought of as top 10 picks. I don't think there is anything to be concerned about with this pick as far as PA or even AM interfering and putting some kind of restriction on JJ like we saw earlier this decade.

Right, but the idea that no one, anywhere, besides the Front Office is spinning Hobgood as even a top 5 HS pitcher, means that he's not even close to BPA. If you're fine with saving money to get a cheap sign, at the cost of getting the best player, that's fine as an opinion.

Nobody - pundits or fans - had Markakis going as high as he did, and that turned out pretty well.

I immediately thought of Joba when I read the scouting reports (though Joba's stuff is better, I imagine).

That's what the guys on mlbtv were saying. Maybe it was Reynolds? They said Joba and Brad Penny. They also commented on having an unbelievable curveball for a high school kid.

Get this kid signed, a good dietician, and put him to work.

Last year, I preferred Smoak to Matusz but didn't think Matusz was a bad pick.

I feel the same way this year...I would have preferred them to go a different way but for what Jordan is saying, my initial reaction of a bad pick is gone and feel like this should be as good a pick as Wheeler or Matzek would have been. Maybe those guys are slightly better but maybe Hobgood is more of a "sure thing" or will sign for less?

Apparently you haven't been following anything in this forum. I'm not referring to myself, rather the other guys that have actually scouted some of these players. When they say Hobgood isn't a #5 pick, I tend to believe them.

Whether you are referring to yourself or not, I tend to agree with the OP. How many games have our "top" guys here spent scouting Hobgood? I wanted one of the other pitchers more as well but still. Whether it takes a PhD to be a scout or not, it takes actually going to the games and spending countless time watching film and grading out prospects. How many hours you think our top "scouts" spend scouting for the draft? I'm guessing no where near the professionals.

I really wanted Matzek but after watching the videos shown of Matzek/Hobgood/Wheeler, I'm liking our pick a bit more.

Hobgood's fastball had some late explosive movement that reminded me of FHer. His curveball looked absolutely filthy, the break was so hard it reminded me of Flash Gordon. Now obviously I'm not saying this kid has Felix Hernadez's fastball and Tom Gordon's hook but the movement was similar.

Wheeler and Matzek's fastballs looked much straighter and neither of their secondary pitches moved like Hobgood's curveball.

Since this pick is seen as a reach by many it will be an interesting place to judge Jordan, as perhaps this was going out on a limb.

That video MLB network showed really blew me away as you can tell!

I know nothing about this kid but the Orioles sure do come up with some weirdly named players in the draft. Guys like Beau Hale, and now Hobgood! It makes me yearn for the Boddicker's and Mussinas of the world.:eek:

Last year, I preferred Smoak to Matusz but didn't think Matusz was a bad pick.

I feel the same way this year...I would have preferred them to go a different way but for what Jordan is saying, my initial reaction of a bad pick is gone and feel like this should be as good a pick as Wheeler or Matzek would have been. Maybe those guys are slightly better but maybe Hobgood is more of a "sure thing" or will sign for less?

Would you have still gone with Green at number 5 with the way things played out?

That's what the guys on mlbtv were saying. Maybe it was Reynolds? They said Joba and Brad Penny. They also commented on having an unbelievable curveball for a high school kid.

Get this kid signed, a good dietician, and put him to work.

They also said his command is "spotty". Do we really need another pitcher with command issues? On the other hand, maybe they pinpointed something that they feel our pitching coaches can fix? :scratchchinhmm:

Archived