Anyone else cheering for the O's to lose?

JoeOrsulak

There are 10 teams along with the O's with 57, 58, or 59 total wins vying for the second worst record.

The devil rays are at 50 wins, don't think we catch them.

I know it is really early, but next years draft is suppose to have two of

the better positional college hitters in years: Pedro Alvarez 3rd Vandy and

Justin Smoak 1b USC. Wouldn't it be nice to be in position to draft one of those?

I assume the NL drafts first next year because the devil rays drafted this year first. So there might be some "work" to do.

We need positional prospects.

I'm with Smokin' Joe on this. I, myself, might have started a thread just like this one some time ago.

Alvarez is in the Pujols/Guerrero/Manny category as a hitter. As for Keith Law, his comment that Smoak is 'a better hitter' than Pedro just proves that he's one of the worst writers of ALL TIME.

If this team adds Alvarez to the nucleus of Rowell, Markakis, Reimold, Snyder, and Wieters, the O's will be in a position to DOMINATE the division.

The Sox and Yankees won't know what hit them!!

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Un-friggin-believable.

Last week, I started a thread expressing my wish that Millar would go hitless for ONE night while the Orioles WON a game & got shredded on here.

Now, we have people actively rooting for the team to lose and they get received like visionary deep thinkers who alone are privy to the ability of some teenagers and young adults to come save this franchise.

I understand that you cannot separate business from baseball, but you'll never convince me that someone cheering a team on to losses is really a fan. Make all the excuses you like, I'm not buying 'em. Go root for the Pirates or Devil Rays. You'll be a lot happier.

Un-friggin-believable.

Last week, I started a thread expressing my wish that Millar would go hitless for ONE night while the Orioles WON a game & got shredded on here.

Now, we have people actively rooting for the team to lose and they get received like visionary deep thinkers who alone are privy to the ability of some teenagers and young adults to come save this franchise.

I understand that you cannot separate business from baseball, but you'll never convince me that someone cheering a team on to losses is really a fan. Make all the excuses you like, I'm not buying 'em. Go root for the Pirates or Devil Rays. You'll be a lot happier.

Yeah, you got deep-fried for that one...

I think the diff between this one and that one is about 99% due to who is responding vs. who isn't...

But just think, in order for us to lose enough to finish with the second worst record, you would have to watch a lot more plays like that.
I doubt that people who propose the team lose to gain a higher draft slot, watch games very often.

Un-friggin-believable.

What thread are you reading? From what I can see, only one person has agreed with the original poster's premise, while everyone else has vehemently disagreed. And I don't see anyone treating him as a "visionary deep thinker."

For the record, rooting for your team to lose is the most ridiculous situation I can possibly think of. It negates the entire point of being a fan. Period.

Joeorsulak, you are correct!!! I too hope for a better draft position. If the o's lose 4 or 5 more games , so be it. Tex , is not the only one we have lost, due to a couple of late season wins. In 2005, we took snyder who is "maybe" a good prospect, the orioles wanted Bruce, who was selected one pick ahead of them by Cinn.. Bruce has clubbed his way into AAA already. In 2006, I read they wanted H.S. lefty Kershaw, who in 14 months has already gotten to AA and is considered by many as the top lefty in the minors. Now if we had drafted those three, ( tex, Bruce, Kershaw), how many of the people bashing you in this thread ,would be celebrating??

Joeorsulak, you are correct!!! I too hope for a better draft position. If the o's lose 4 or 5 more games , so be it. Tex , is not the only one we have lost, due to a couple of late season wins. In 2005, we took snyder who is "maybe" a good prospect, the orioles wanted Bruce, who was selected one pick ahead of them by Cinn.. Bruce has clubbed his way into AAA already. In 2006, I read they wanted H.S. lefty Kershaw, who in 14 months has already gotten to AA and is considered by many as the top lefty in the minors. Now if we had drafted those three, ( tex, Bruce, Kershaw), how many of the people bashing you in this thread ,would be celebrating??

Prospects are prospects for a reason. Sure, Kershaw is doing well in the minors, but can he translate to the majors? That is the true unknown. You'd pull your hair out if you worried about how every draft pick that could have been made is doing in the minors/majors.

Because I am a fan and can see beyond this abysmal season and ballclub choc full of horrible players, you bet I'm pulling for us to get the #1 overall pick.

As it stands now, the Devil Rays will, once again, get the top pick and they'll take Alvarez. We're likely going to have to hope Loewen, Penn, and company can keep him in check (and that's a no sure thing).

As I stated earlier, the O's taking Alvarez would be another huge step in the right direction for a ballclub that is just now starting to do things the right way in terms of scouting and player procurement.

Look at how overjoyed we are now that Wieters has signed. Drafting Alvarez would be just as monumental.

We'd be set up for a sustained run for success. We'd, at the very least, see an exciting high-powered offensive team take the field and OPACY would enjoy capacity crowds as it did in the mid-late 90's.

Prospects are prospects for a reason. Sure, Kershaw is doing well in the minors, but can he translate to the majors? That is the true unknown. You'd pull your hair out if you worried about how every draft pick that could have been made is doing in the minors/majors.

Agree, prospects are prospects. MLB draft is much different than NFL or NBA where one player can impact an organization immediately. But when there are two stud college hitters available next year why wouldn't you want to have one of them. Even if it means doing the the unimaginable.

The issue is that we have two specific issues were a player that the O's wanted went exactly one slot above us:

Teix instead we got Chris Smith

Jay Bruce instead we got Snyder

Guess the o's are trying to tank indirectly by playing Bako over House :).

Would feel differently if we started giving youngsters some playing time instead of running overpaid bench players out there.

Look at how overjoyed we are now that Wieters has signed. Drafting Alvarez would be just as monumental.

Totally agreed. Not that there is any guarantee that Alvarez will do anything, he could be a complete bust. But if Wieters signing deadline can keep me in front of my computer refreshing mlb.com and baseballamerica.com for 2 hours straight. Hoping that the O's could sign him (yes i am a loser). What could the possibility of having Alvarez or Smoak do? Bring hope?

Millar hitting a homer to win a game is nice. But we all know the o's future is not players like Millar and Mora (tough to say).

If this organization isn't going to sign the big free agents or sign top International talent the mlb draft is an opportunity to improve.

What keeps us going year in and year out to be fans? The hope that the team will be better in the future.

Archived