Anyone else cheering for the O's to lose?

JoeOrsulak

This is a terrible attitude. This isn't a hedge fund, and it ain't the NBA, it's baseball. Of all the crappy things to suggest...

I strongly agree. How can a fan of a team honestly root for their team to lose? So what if you can gain a few positions in the draft. A prospect is a prospect for a reason, they haven't proved themselves at the big league level. I hope someone can answer this next question, but how many top ten prospects over the last decade have come and gone vs. becoming an everyday contributer to a big league club (the one that he was drafted by)? Just because a guy is drafted 1-5, or in the top 10, doesn't mean that he will automatically be a stud for the club that drafted him.

Doesn't this thread pop up every year?

My answer: I like watching this team win. I don't like watching this team lose. But I will acknowledge that at this point, on a purely rational, non emotional, non personal level, losing is probably the best thing for ANY team that has no shot at the playoffs. I'd love if we had the second pick in the draft next year. I just hate the path that leads there.

If that is your argument, maybe MLB should adopt the policy that when a team is mathematically eliminated that they should drop out of the rest of the season. If losing is the best option for a team that has no shot of the playoffs, then why even suit up and play the game? Heck, lets take it a step further, maybe MLB should have a managers poll at the beginning of the season and any team that is determined to have no shot at the playoffs should just forfeit the season.

Am I a "bad" fan for thinking about losing a couple unless games(will explain useless games below) this year if it means us willing in the future?

Let me ask you this. If you are the prospect, do you want to sign with a team that lost on purpose? Lets say that last year, the O's purposely lost to be able to get into position to draft Weiters. Don't you think that would have factored into his 11th hour decision to sign or head back to the GT campus?

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I strongly agree. How can a fan of a team honestly root for their team to lose? So what if you can gain a few positions in the draft. A prospect is a prospect for a reason, they haven't proved themselves at the big league level. I hope someone can answer this next question, but how many top ten prospects over the last decade have come and gone vs. becoming an everyday contributer to a big league club (the one that he was drafted by)? Just because a guy is drafted 1-5, or in the top 10, doesn't mean that he will automatically be a stud for the club that drafted him.

If that is your argument, maybe MLB should adopt the policy that when a team is mathematically eliminated that they should drop out of the rest of the season. If losing is the best option for a team that has no shot of the playoffs, then why even suit up and play the game? Heck, lets take it a step further, maybe MLB should have a managers poll at the beginning of the season and any team that is determined to have no shot at the playoffs should just forfeit the season.

Let me ask you this. If you are the prospect, do you want to sign with a team that lost on purpose? Lets say that last year, the O's purposely lost to be able to get into position to draft Weiters. Don't you think that would have factored into his 11th hour decision to sign or head back to the GT campus?

He is rooting for them to loose for long term gain...Not sure why this is so hard to figure out.

Who cares if we win 75 games or 68 games? What the hell is the difference besides a better draft position?

Nobody here would have the you-know-whats to tell Roberts or Millar that, because those two (and every other player and coach) would rightfully beat them until their body looked like it had a Ravens' jersey tattooed onto it.

I just can't belive that people would want the O's to lose its mind-boggling.

It truly is.

Way to dodge the question...Pretty typical of you though.

So you dodge mine? Nice job there.

And I didn't dodge it anyway; I answered it with a question of my own (which you, you know, dodged).

Tell me how we are supposed to look into the future and decide whether trying to LOSE games will matter?

Scenario 1:

O's end the year hot and finish 500...Because of the hot finish, we decide to go for it...We sign A Jones to a 7/119 deal and we don't trade anyone. Over the next 7 years(the terms of Jones's contract), the Orioles max out at 88 wins and are usually in the 75-85 win area...We never make the playoffs.

Scenario 2:

We end the year with 72 wins....The FO decides it is finally time to rebuild properly...They trade guys, get younger, build a lot of talent and get a high draft pick, thus setting us up long term.

Which scenario would you prefer?

So you dodge mine? Nice job there.

And I didn't dodge it anyway; I answered it with a question of my own (which you, you know, dodged).

Tell me how we are supposed to look into the future and decide whether trying to LOSE games will matter?

I am not going to answer you until you answer me....Was it worth it for us to sweep the Yanks and end up losing out on Tex?

What if you can't bring yourself to root against the O's, but you'll be perfectly happy with the #2 pick nonetheless?

Exactly! And who is to say that just because you draft at the number #5 that you might not get a pick who was projected to be at #2 or 3. Wasn't Weiters slotted to be a top 3 pick? And we drafted him at 5.

How about the Tigers in this years draft. They certainly didn't have to lose to get the top pitching prospect in the draft, Frederick Porcello.

Scenario 1:

O's end the year hot and finish 500...Because of the hot finish, we decide to go for it...We sign A Jones to a 7/119 deal and we don't trade anyone. Over the next 7 years(the terms of Jones's contract), the Orioles max out at 88 wins and are usually in the 75-85 win area...We never make the playoffs.

Scenario 2:

We end the year with 72 wins....The FO decides it is finally time to rebuild properly...They trade guys, get younger, build a lot of talent and get a high draft pick, thus setting us up long term.

Which scenario would you prefer?

Agree with you SG. But I would "prefer" wins in the 60's so the front office will finally realize that this is a bad team that needs to be revamped from the ground up.

Archived