Pedroia to miss ASG

JTrea81

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar09/news/story?id=4322090

Boston Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia will miss the All-Star Game so he can be with his wife, who has been hospitalized this week because of early labor complications.

The 2008 AL MVP had been voted in as the starter at second base in fan voting. His wife is due in August with the couple's first child.

American League manager Joe Maddon has added Tampa Bay Rays first baseman Carlos Pena as Pedroia's replacement. It is Pena's first All-Star selection.

I may despise the guy on the field, but he's still a human being, and I hope for the best for the health of his wife and unborn child.

Aaron Hill should definitely get the nod but sadly Carlos Pena (whose stats are overblown thanks to a relatively high home run total) is chosen by Joe Maddon.

With All-Star appearances having a major impact on HOF votes and home field in the WS, I think there simply HAS to be a committee for the whole ASG process. These little traditions and friendly options are fine if this were a meaningless exhibition game. But it's not. And MLB needs to recognize that.

/endrant

Aaron Hill should definitely get the nod but sadly Carlos Pena (whose stats are overblown thanks to a relatively high home run total) is chosen by Joe Maddon.

With All-Star appearances having a major impact on HOF votes and home field in the WS, I think there simply HAS to be a committee for the whole ASG process. These little traditions and friendly options are fine if this were a meaningless exhibition game. But it's not. And MLB needs to recognize that.

/endrant

Hill already made the team. I think you meant Kinsler.

I guess his thinking was that Pena can play second base almost as well as Kinsler can? :laughlol:

Kinsler (UZR 5.1) has been much better in the field this year. He is better than Pedroia (3.6) and your lover boy Roberts (-0.9).

Slightly off topic but I'm trying to put together all of the semi-factual reasons to hate Pedroia (aside from the team he plays for). Yes, I know he has a severe attitude problem, but I have forgotten what he has actually said or responded to that pissed me off.

Anyone have a short list in the back of their mind?:scratchchinhmm:

Slightly off topic but I'm trying to put together all of the semi-factual reasons to hate Pedroia (aside from the team he plays for). Yes, I know he has a severe attitude problem, but I have forgotten what he has actually said or responded to that pissed me off.

Anyone have a short list in the back of their mind?:scratchchinhmm:

By the way, I was being genuine when asking this question. I am really curious and not trying to defend Pedroia or anything.

I remember some annoying back and forth with DCab ( I think) and some really heartless potshots after the Mother's Day Massacre, but some of the other things are escaping me. I should probably read his bio.

Archived