How can you guys not be talking more about Sano?

Mashed Potatoes

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Back to the OP. Rob, you asked why we aren't talking about Sano more. I mean, there really isn't much more to talk about. We've pretty much said everything there is to be said. What else is there?

BTW, have any scouts told you that they weren't that high on Sano?

My, that'd be an interesting read.

The Post-Gazette said the bone test done for the Pirates showed Sano was 16 or 17, but pointed out that the test would be one of several avenues MLB would use to determine Sano's age.

There was a picture of Sano in the article and he looked older than the 16 year olds I've seen. He must have had a hard life so far.

I'm not talking about him because I have no real reason to expect that we'll get him. I don't like getting my hopes up about stuff like this because I've been disappointed too many times. If we get him, wonderful, but 'til then I'm not even going to think about it.

Last i read they were saying he indeed appears to be 16 but it may take another 2 months to get his Visa. How does the Visa thing affect him being able to sign?

It's probably the other way around. The signing affects his being able to get the visa; I doubt that he can qualify for the athlete/entertainer/artist visa until he has a contract.

Or maybe the embassy has a conditional visa status that I'm not aware of--that is, that he would pre-qualify for the visa before signing a contract, but the visa wouldn't actually be issued until the contract is signed. Teams would want to know for sure that he qualifies, because he's useless to them unless he can legally enter and play ball.

Qualifying for the visa would also be an acid test for his paperwork, although this kid has had plenty of scrutiny already.

Why waste time talking about the guy? The Orioles won't get him-hate to say it.

The Yankees or some other big-spending team will.

^This!

Rob has said numerous times that MONEY will be the major determining factor on where Sano signs. If anyone on this board truly believes the Orioles or Pirates will outbid the Yankees, then they have had their heads in the sand for a very long time. Rob, unless you and Sano's stance has changed, tell Sano to say hello to Tex for us!

I am not trying to be an arse, just stating the obvious. I won't fall into a false hope anxiety like I did for Tex. I'll just sit and wait for Sano to sign, hopefully with us, but likely not. It doesn't mean I don't want him or think he's a good kid. Its just I don't expect to get him.

For me, I guess it's a combination of not expecting to get him and not really caring that much that we do. I'd be glad if we landed him, but I'm not going to get too high or too low on a (allegedly) 16 year old. He's a hyped kid. Sometimes they pan out, often they don't.

• 3 weeks later...
That's not the point. You don't make personnel decisions like that. No sane person does.

Sorry, but I disagree. The market is set by what teams are willing to offer a player. How can you possibly determine a player's value other than by considering your position relative to offers from other teams? There's no objective value - there's only the market, which is largely subjective.

For example, the Yankees set the market regularly. They did so by outbidding for Sabbathia and Texeira. They are reaping the rewards for their aggressive pursuit of elite talent at the MLB level. (They still suck.)

Perhaps the Orioles can be just as aggressive, but at the MiLB level - and if they think Sano is that talented, they should give him $6 million. Hell, that's LESS than we're paying Danys Baez for one year of horrible middle relief!

Archived