Impressions of Brian Matusz

Hank Scorpio

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently he told DT prior to the game that he has 2...at least that's what Thorne said.

News to me, and I've talked to him. He's got a killer change, a loopy curveball, a tight breaking slider, and his fastball, unless he's learned some new change in the past couple weeks. I never listen to the hockey guy when he's talking baseball (Thorne), so who knows.

I think I get the slider & his changeup mixed up a bit, but I swore I saw a circle change & a straight change tonight.

Either way, both pitches looked to be very effective.

Mostly I was impressed by his fastball command and ability to throw it inside to righties. He definitely knows how to pitch.

Yeah, totally know what you mean. I thought he had two curveballs at first until I heard him talk about the slider and curve after the game. He might have started throwing something new, or just took something off something else, but I've never seen him throw a straight change, he's got some break to his change. Who knows with him though, it wouldn't shock me at all if he just picked up another one recently. Sounds like something he'd do.

I agree about the fastball, i came in expecting it to be his 4th best pitch, but he was using it aggressively and accurately when I saw him, I'm glad it carried over to the ML. That is the reason he was in AA though, because of all the work he's been doing with that FB. Some games he'll go to just a FB/SL mix just to get a lot of work in with the FB.

News to me, and I've talked to him. He's got a killer change, a loopy curveball, a tight breaking slider, and his fastball, unless he's learned some new change in the past couple weeks. I never listen to the hockey guy when he's talking baseball (Thorne), so who knows.

Thorne said that DT sat down with him before the game and asked Matusz what he (DT) should expect. He rambled off a few things and said..."my change up is outstanding, and I've got 2 of em" (or something to that effect). Thorne later said that he has 1 he throws "for a strike" and one that he uses as an "out pitch". The "out pitch" change apparently has downward break (according to Thorne).

I don't know how much of that is true...I'm just relaying what I heard from Thorne.

First career start, bottom of the 5th 2nd and 3rd no outs, high pitch count and Bass throwing in the pen. What does he do? Back to back strike outs to get himself out of the inning and give himself a chance to get his first career win. That my fellow Oriole fans, is a pitcher.

Yeah, totally know what you mean. I thought he had two curveballs at first until I heard him talk about the slider and curve after the game. He might have started throwing something new, or just took something off something else, but I've never seen him throw a straight change, he's got some break to his change. Who knows with him though, it wouldn't shock me at all if he just picked up another one recently. Sounds like something he'd do.

I agree about the fastball, i came in expecting it to be his 4th best pitch, but he was using it aggressively and accurately when I saw him, I'm glad it carried over to the ML. That is the reason he was in AA though, because of all the work he's been doing with that FB. Some games he'll go to just a FB/SL mix just to get a lot of work in with the FB.

This is very encouraging to hear as well. It actually sounds like we are doing a better job at developing our talent to be more ML ready.

There has been a lot of success from the rookies this year and I think the O's scouting and development department needs to be commended.

I liked what I saw from Matusz tonight. He was getting ahead of hitters all night and there were a few pitches where he could have rung up a few guys but didn't get the call. Very impressed with his composure when getting into jams.

Thorne said that DT sat down with him before the game and asked Matusz what he (DT) should expect. He rambled off a few things and said..."my change up is outstanding, and I've got 2 of em" (or something to that effect). Thorne later said that he has 1 he throws "for a strike" and one that he uses as an "out pitch". The "out pitch" change apparently has downward break (according to Thorne).

I don't know how much of that is true...I'm just relaying what I heard from Thorne.

Thorne thinks his fastball is his slider, his changeup is his "heater", and his slider is his luggage.

Archived