Wash. Times steps to the plate and tries to rank our prospects.

Gurgi

http://washingtontimes.com/weblogs/national-pastime/2009/sep/01/september-2009-orioles-prospect-rankings/

Mans got nerve going so soon. Someone had to take the plunge. Okay lets check it out.

Just a first note. Where the crap is Patton? Patton is still eligible to be a prospect right?

Rowell at 43 is probably correct. The lad is dropped like a redheaded stepchild.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the article portion, he points out that he is only ranking those prospects with zero major league experience. That explains why Patton isn't on there. It also seems that he's done a monthly update like this all year.

At a glance, it's a better farm than league average, but of course not nearly as exciting as last year. Then again, at this moment, you can plug Matusz, Tillman, Mickolio, and Patton back in there. They all still qualify as rookies for now.

In the article portion, he points out that he is only ranking those prospects with zero major league experience. That explains why Patton isn't on there. It also seems that he's done a monthly update like this all year.

At a glance, it's a better farm than league average, but of course not nearly as exciting as last year. Then again, at this moment, you can plug Matusz, Tillman, Mickolio, and Patton back in there. They all still qualify as rookies for now.

Okay. ZERO is his cut off. Tough cut off.

I think it's a solid list just looking at it once.

The interesting thing is going to be next year around Spring Training. Who makes it with the club?

Norfolk, Bowie and Frederick are all gonna look a lot different next year to start the year IMO. There's just so many people who could be released or promoted. Not to mention players who were in the minors this year who are already up in Baltimore.

It's gonna be a lot of fun next year to speculate where everyone's gonna be.

Sorry I looked. The list is as depleted as the lists of old. At least at the higher levels. Arrieta, Britton, Hobgood and Bell are the only top ten that look like possible impact players to me. Hobgood's a few years away at that. We may need Babe Bunyan with that third pick next summer.

Sorry I looked. The list is as depleted as the lists of old. At least at the higher levels. Arrieta, Britton, Hobgood and Bell are the only top ten that look like possible impact players to me. Hobgood's a few years away at that. We may need Babe Bunyan with that third pick next summer.

I completely disagree. This is a very deep list. OK, there aren't a lot of advanced and sexy names. But there are a lot of prospects on this list who could turn into that. 5 years ago Tyler Kolodny might be a top 15 prospect for the O's, and he doesn't even crack this guy's top 50.

Zagone is way undervalued at 48. His future is in the pen, and he struggled a bit getting his innings as a starter. He could be an impact LHRP down the road.

I completely disagree. This is a very deep list. OK, there aren't a lot of advanced and sexy names.

So your point is, you completely disagree, but agree completely? :clap3:

Advanced and sexy names are what defines a deep list. Everybody has at least 50 minor leaguers, and everybody goes after 50 more every year.

If somebody wanted to do a top 25 from the bottom of the deck, I might be inclined to agree that it's a deep list then. Frabizio and such look good so far in the low minors.

I was surprised to see Widlansky all the way down at 50. I realize he's a bit old, but considering when he was drafted and the fact that he missed a good piece of 2009 with an injury, I really can't complain about a 24 year old guy hitting .351/.403/.513 in high A.

Advanced and sexy names are what defines a deep list.

No, it doesn't. You can look 25 names down, and find a legitimate potential Big Leaguer in Matt Angle. That's depth. A system does not exist solely to produce impact talent. There are 25 roster spots for a Big League team.

Having a deep system with guys like Angle, Hudson, and Welty in the fold allows teams to avoid overspending for 4th outfielder dregs like Jay Payton. It sounds simple, but the O's haven't been able to do this for, oh, about the last 10 years.

No, it doesn't. You can look 25 names down, and find a legitimate potential Big Leaguer in Matt Angle.

No, you can't.:mwahaha: You CAN find the Matt Angle who will be 24 years old a week from tomorrow. He terrorized A ball to the tune of a .717 OPS. His own mother doesn't project this guy as a big leaguer.

Look at our scrubs this year on our last place team. Angle's an OF, right? How's he stack up vs. Pie at the same age? Pie's like 7 months older, and put up better numbers in the majors this year. See how that works out for Angle's projection?

I completely disagree. This is a very deep list. OK, there aren't a lot of advanced and sexy names. But there are a lot of prospects on this list who could turn into that. 5 years ago Tyler Kolodny might be a top 15 prospect for the O's, and he doesn't even crack this guy's top 50.

Zagone is way undervalued at 48. His future is in the pen, and he struggled a bit getting his innings as a starter. He could be an impact LHRP down the road.

I agree with you. The list is very deep. Its not full of a lot of the sexy names, but we have a ton of guys from this last draft whoi we cant really tag any kind of label on yet until they perform. They havent made a name for themselves yet, but I think after next year it will be different. We have so many high ceiling pitchers and even some position players that we dont even know how they will perform yet. This list is deep, and itll get only deeper and gain more quality as the years flow on IMO...

Archived