Pirates fire Littlefield

JTrea81

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...have to wonder about Huntington. He's been in the Indians organization, which is a good thing because they do lots of things really well, but the hyped, supposed-mastermind assistant GM there is Antonetti. Of course, Huntington has five years on Antonetti, who is "only" 32. If I'm a cynical Pirates fan (and I'm not, I'm a cynical Orioles fan :P), I'm wondering whether the Pirates just wanted an Indians guy and are choosing the wrong one due to considerations like age and baseball experience. John Farrell and John Mirabelli are also probably better known assistants to Shapiro in Cleveland than Huntington.

I don't know anything about Huntington other than his ML resume, and he may turn out to be a fantastic GM, but if I'm a Pirates fan I might be scratching my head.

Hmm...have to wonder about Huntington. He's been in the Indians organization, which is a good thing because they do lots of things really well, but the hyped, supposed-mastermind assistant GM there is Antonetti. Of course, Huntington has five years on Antonetti, who is "only" 32. If I'm a cynical Pirates fan (and I'm not, I'm a cynical Orioles fan :P), I'm wondering whether the Pirates just wanted an Indians guy and are choosing the wrong one due to considerations like age and baseball experience. John Farrell and John Mirabelli are also probably better known assistants to Shapiro in Cleveland than Huntington.

I don't know anything about Huntington other than his ML resume, and he may turn out to be a fantastic GM, but if I'm a Pirates fan I might be scratching my head.

His name has just kinda dropped out of the blue over the past 48 hours. Before that it seemed that Brewers assistant GM Jack Zduriencik and the Blue Jays Tony LaCava were the two prime candidates.

My guess is that when Antonetti withdrew his name earlier this week, he recommended Huntington.

Archived