Knott DFA'd?

Elbren

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't notice this when I was on earlier. (Apologize if it's already been posted) Just heard on the radio. Knott DFA'd to make room for Victor Santos (?) who was purchased from the Reds.
The Orioles today announced that they have purchased RHP VICTOR SANTOS from the Cincinnati Reds. The 30-year-old reliever will report to the Orioles tomorrow, September 8.

To make room for Santos on the 40-man roster, OF JON KNOTT has been designated for assignment. Knott batted .250 (72-288) with 13 home runs and 34 RBI in 87 games for Triple-A Norfolk. He appeared in 7 games for the Orioles, batting .214 (3-14) with one home run and 4 RBI.

Santos was 1-4 with a 5.14 ERA in 32 games for Cincinnati this season, all in relief. He made the Reds' opening day roster after going to spring training as a non-roster invitee. He was with the Reds for all but 3 weeks before being designated for assignment on August 18 and then outrighted to AAA Louisville. He was 1-1 with a 1.11 ERA in 8 games for Louisville, including 4 starts.

A native of the Dominican Republic, Santos has pitched in the majors in parts of each of the last 7 seasons, going 23-46 with a 5.14 ERA for six different teams. He originally signed with Detroit as a non-drafted free agent in 1995 and also has pitched for Detroit, Colorado, Texas, Milwaukee and Pittsburgh in addition to Cincinnati.

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20070907&content_id=2194745&vkey=pr_bal&fext=.jsp&c_id=bal

I dont know what to say about this move.

Knott was out of options and there was very little chance of him being on the OD roster next year. Would rather have House, even if he is there.

At least they are using the spot for something, even though Santos shouldnt be it.

Do the Orioles have a clue at all? Do they know what they're doing? Or are they just picking names out of a hat and going after them?

It's sad that these guys get paid so much to make this a bad team year after year after year. This isn't a major move but it's another in a long line of stupid, impossible to rationalize moves, and I'm sickened by it.

If this is another case of Leo saying "I can wave my magic wand and fix this guy" then he needs to be shown the door. I'm not saying that is what this is, but it's happened in the past.

MAYBE the O's just picked someone up off the scrap heap to eat innings for the rest of the season just so we don't end up killing the few good relief arms we do have. That's the only possible idea I can come up with that makes this look somewhat intelligent. Somewhat.

If this is another case of Leo saying "I can wave my magic wand and fix this guy" then he needs to be shown the door. I'm not saying that is what this is, but it's happened in the past.

MAYBE the O's just picked someone up off the scrap heap to eat innings for the rest of the season just so we don't end up killing the few good relief arms we do have. That's the only possible idea I can come up with that makes this look somewhat intelligent. Somewhat.

Thats the troof.

Santos was not horrible for the Pirates last year. At this point I think as many arms as they can get in here to pitch some innings, maybe someone will stick and be a valuable contributor. Santos has the stuff to do it.

BUT...DFA'ing Knott does not make any sense. For a team that is lacking in impact bats, I don't think DFA'ing Knott is the right call. But it does show the teams commitment to defense over offense, as misguided as that may be.

Archived