2009 Draft - Fantasy Prospects

My fantasy baseball keeper league is having our annual amateur draft once again. Last year I got a lot of help from some of you and I hope to get the same support again this year. Currently, we are at pick 12 and I have ZERO picks (traded 21st and 51st during season); however, I'm looking to trade into the 1st rd. I'm pretty deep at SP, so I'm looking for a young SS (Jiovanni Mier) and speed/HR guys. With Mier on my radar, I'm hoping to acquire a pick very soon. Is that too early or should I make the move? And what other fantasy prospects should I be looking at?

ROUND 1

1. Cincinnati Reds - STEPHEN STRASBURG, SP, WAS

2. Texas Rangers - DUSTIN ACKLEY, OF, SEA

3. Toronto Blue Jays - GRANT GREEN, SS, OAK

4. New York Yankees - DONOVAN TATE, OF, SD

5. Detroit Tigers - BOBBY BORCHERING, 3B, ARI

6. San Diego Padres - TYLER MATZEK, SP, COL

7. Houston Astros - KYLE GIBSON, SP, MIN

8. New York Mets - ZACK WHEELER, SP, SF

9. Kansas City Royals - TONY SANCHEZ, C, PIT

10. Seattle Mariners - AJ POLLOCK, OF, ARZ

11. Cleveland Indians - MICHAEL LEAKE, P, CIN

12. Milwaukee Brewers - MATT HOBGOOD, SP, BAL

13. Toronto Blue Jays (from SF) - JARED MITCHELL, OF, CHW

14. Atlanta Braves - MIKE MINOR, SP, ATL

15. Kansas City Royals (from COL) - MATTHEW PURKE, SP, TEX

16. Boston Red Sox (from OAK) - JIOVANNI MIER, SS, HOU

17. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - JACOB TURNER, SP, DET

18. Cleveland Indians (from ANA) - MIKE TROUT, OF, ANA

19. Chicago Cubs - BRETT JACKSON, OF, CHC

20. New York Yankees (from LA) - SLADE HEATHCOTT, OF, NYY

21. San Francisco Giants (from STL)- DREW STOREN, P, WAS

22. Chicago White Sox - LEVON WASHINGTON, 2B,TB

23. Minnesota Twins - TIM WHEELER, OF, COL

24. San Francisco Giants (from MON) - ALEX WHITE, RHP, CLE

25. Arizona Diamondbacks- SHELBY MILLER, RHP, STL

26. Boston Red Sox - REYMOND FUENTES, OF, BOS

27. Baltimore Orioles - CHAD JENKINS, RHP, TOR

28. Seattle Mariners (from FLA) - MATTHEW DAVIDSON, 3B, ARI

29. Texas Rangers (from PHI) - RANDAL GRICHUK, OF, LAA

30. Pittsburgh Pirates - KENTRAIL DAVIS, OF, MIL

ROUND 2

31. Cincinnati Reds CHAD JAMES, LHP, FLA

32. Texas Rangers, REX BROTHERS, RP, COL

33. Toronto Blue Jays WIL MYERS, C, KC

34. New York Yankees - KYLE SEAGER, 2B, SEA

35. Detroit Tigers - ERIC ARNETT, SP, MIL

36. San Diego Padres - AARON MILLER, LHP, LA

37. Houston Astros - NICK FRANKLIN, SS, SEA

38. New York Mets - DAVID RENFROE, SS, BOS

39. Detroit Tigers (from KC) - RICHARD POYTHRESS, 1B, SEA

40. Seattle Mariners - EVERETT WILLIAMS, OF, SD

41. Cleveland Indians - ANDREW OLIVER, P, DET

42. Milwaukee Brewers - TRAYCE THOMPSON, OF, DET

43. Seattle Mariners (from SF) - JASON KIPNIS, OF ,CLE

44. Atlanta Braves - JEFF KOBERNUS, 2B, WASH

45. Detroit Tigers (from COL) - GARRETT RICHARDS, SP, LAA

46. Seattle Mariners (from OAK)- JACOB MARISNICK, OF, TOR

47. Tampa Bay Devil Rays - TOMMY JOSEPH, C, SF

48. Cleveland Indians (from ANA) - KENT MATTHES, OF, COL

49. Chicago Cubs - TOM MENDONCA, 3B, TEX

50. St. Louis Cardinals (from MIN

from LA) - JAMES PAXTON, P, TOR

51. Detroit Tigers (from STL) - ALEX WILSON, SP, BOS

52. Chicago White Sox - NOLAN ARENADO, 3B COL

53. Cincinnati Reds (from MIN) MARC KRAUSS LF ARZ

54. San Francisco Giants (from MON) CHRIS DOMINGUEZ, 3B, SF

55. Los Angeles Dodgers (from ARI) MYCHAL GIVENS, SS, Bal

56. San Francisco Giants (from BOS) JASON STOFFEL, RP, SF

57. Baltimore Orioles - BEN PAULSEN, 1B, COL

58. Kansas City Royals (from FLA) - DEREK MCCALLUM, 2B, MIN

59. Detroit Tigers (from PHI)

60. Pittsburgh Pirates

I'm curious to see when Hobgood goes in this.

Mike Trout maybe? He has above average, but not great speed. He is a CF with potential, and was promoted to A ball after owning his rookie league.

Also, in what trades did you give up your picks?

Traded my 2009 2nd last year to get another 2nd rd pick in last year's draft, which ended up being Mike Montgomery (great pick).

And then this year I dealt Loney and Cain plus a 1st and 2nd for Adrian Gonzalez and Franklin Morales (when he was still in minors)

• 2 weeks later...

Even if you are stacked at pitcher, I might have a hard time ruling out the upside that is still available. Namely, Aaron Crow, Scheppers, Shelby Miller & maybe even Chad James. That's the order I'd take them in, too. The order of Crow & Scheppers is arguable, I just wonder if Schepper's shoulder will hold up.

I'm not a big Matt Davidson fan. He shows big power, but so far his game production (even in highschool) hasn't matched his showcases.

My favorite bat left might be Wil Myers. He has the potential to be an impact bat at catcher. There were a lot of good catchers in this draft and I think Myers has the best bat – definitely the most power. So far it looks promising that he’ll be able to stay behind the plate.

If you're dead set on a shortstop, I guess Nick Franklin would be my pick. I like Jeff Kobernus more offensively, but he won't be a shortstop (2B instead).

For outfielders, Marc Krauss and Everett Williams are both solid choices. Krauss is more polished and right now profiles similarly to Cole Gillespie did, IMO. Krauss has a lot more size, though, so I like his chances to turn some of those doubles into homers better than Gillespie has/will. However, that question is what lets the upside of Williams sneak in there.

Even if you are stacked at pitcher, I might have a hard time ruling out the upside that is still available. Namely, Aaron Crow, Scheppers, Shelby Miller & maybe even Chad James. That's the order I'd take them in, too. The order of Crow & Scheppers is arguable, I just wonder if Schepper's shoulder will hold up.

I'm not a big Matt Davidson fan. He shows big power, but so far his game production (even in highschool) hasn't matched his showcases.

My favorite bat left might be Wil Myers. He has the potential to be an impact bat at catcher. There were a lot of good catchers in this draft and I think Myers has the best bat – definitely the most power. So far it looks promising that he’ll be able to stay behind the plate.

If you're dead set on a shortstop, I guess Nick Franklin would be my pick. I like Jeff Kobernus more offensively, but he won't be a shortstop (2B instead).

For outfielders, Marc Krauss and Everett Williams are both solid choices. Krauss is more polished and right now profiles similarly to Cole Gillespie did, IMO. Krauss has a lot more size, though, so I like his chances to turn some of those doubles into homers better than Gillespie has/will. However, that question is what lets the upside of Williams sneak in there.

I know you are good on SP, but I'd probably go with Scheppers or Crow, in that order. If not, maybe Matt Davidson 3b.

Crow and Scheppers were picked last year and are still owned so neither guy is eligible.

Shelby Miller and Alex White just were picked.

I'm hoping Myers slips out of the draft and I can pick him up.

Crow and Scheppers were picked last year and are still owned so neither guy is eligible.

Shelby Miller and Alex White just were picked.

I'm hoping Myers slips out of the draft and I can pick him up.

I was going to ask you about that since I saw that Matthew Purke & Levon Washington were picked in this draft even though they didn't sign. Considering the fact that you have the draft after the season is over and therefore past the signing deadline, it seems kind of silly to me that you can still have control over these guys when they're not playing professionally and will enter the draft again. What's the reasoning behind that?

I was going to ask you about that since I saw that Matthew Purke & Levon Washington were picked in this draft even though they didn't sign. Considering the fact that you have the draft after the season is over and therefore past the signing deadline, it seems kind of silly to me that you can still have control over these guys when they're not playing professionally and will enter the draft again. What's the reasoning behind that?

Because our commishes allow the dumb owners to take them. Even though our rosters for the minors are 12 deep, you can't afford to keep a guy that doesn't sign unless he's going to be drafted again the following season. Some guy actually drafted Andrew Miller in 2003 and kept him until 2006.

Because our commishes allow the dumb owners to take them. Even though our rosters for the minors are 12 deep, you can't afford to keep a guy that doesn't sign unless he's going to be drafted again the following season. Some guy actually drafted Andrew Miller in 2003 and kept him until 2006.

Craziness. Mike Minor was getting some AFL time and could be a quick riser. I would look hard at Poythress from SEA, he shouldn't have many people blocking him there, Kipinis from CLE, OF usually fly through that system, and Mendonca could be interesting to keep an eye on in TEX, that ballpark might inflate his power numbers a bit more than they should be.

• 3 weeks later...

Updated the draft list. It has been an extremely slow draft. I don't have any picks, but I might acquire one.

Of the remaining undrafted players, here are the guys I'm looking at in no particular order:

James Paxton,P (not signed, but should be 1st rounder next year)

Jeff Kobernus, 2B, WSH

Mychal Givens

Chris Owings, SS, AZ

Victor Black, P, PIT

Kyle Heckathorn, P, MIL

Nolan Arenado, 3B, COL

Tommy Joseph, C, SF

Jason Kipinis, OF, CLE

Max Stassi, C, OAK

Daniel Fields, SS, DET

Chris Dwyer, P, KC

Anybody else I'm overlooking? And how would you rank these guys in a fantasy perspective?

Updated the draft list. It has been an extremely slow draft. I don't have any picks, but I might acquire one.

Of the remaining undrafted players, here are the guys I'm looking at in no particular order:

James Paxton,P (not signed, but should be 1st rounder next year)

Jeff Kobernus, 2B, WSH

Mychal Givens

Chris Owings, SS, AZ

Victor Black, P, PIT

Kyle Heckathorn, P, MIL

Nolan Arenado, 3B, COL

Tommy Joseph, C, SF

Jason Kipinis, OF, CLE

Max Stassi, C, OAK

Daniel Fields, SS, DET

Chris Dwyer, P, KC

Anybody else I'm overlooking? And how would you rank these guys in a fantasy perspective?

I wouldn't consider taking Paxton. There are high upside arms left that you wouldn't need to "waste a year of development" on, like Heckathorn. I would still prefer Tyler Skaggs (LHP, LAA) if drafting a pitcher, though. If you wanted an arm who could move quickly, Alex Wilson (RHP, Bos) could be it. He had a disappointing college season, but he must have rebounded some by the time he started playing pro ball because he had a dominant debut. If you're like me, Wilson would slot higher than Heckathorn, because I see them both as relievers and Wilson will likely move faster.

As for position players, I'd rank them (loosely) as...

1. Nolan Arenado, 3B, Col (could move fast for HS bat)
  2. Tommy Joseph, C, SF (not sure he'll stick at C, esp. with Posey in SF)
  3. Jeff Kobernus, 2B, Was
  4. JR Murphy, C, NYY
  5. Marc Krauss, OF, Ari
  6. Ryan Schimpf, 2B, Tor (really not that far behind Kobernus)
  7. Chris Owings, SS, Ari (position is what props him up, but future at SS uncertain)
  8. James Jones, OF, Sea (athlete with lots upside - strong debut)
  9. Ryan Wheeler, 1B, Ari (outstanding debut even w/o protypical power #'s)
  10. Jason Kipnis, OF, Cle
  11. Kent Matthes, OF, Col (lots of strikeouts, but could be worth a shot)
  12. Max Stassi, C, Oak (strong prospect, but 3rd catcher here)
  13. Tommy Mendonca, 3B, Tex (same as Matthes)
  14. Jeff Malm, 1B, TB

Zach Von Rosenburg (RHP, Pit)(like his polish - could rise fast) & Ryan Berry (RHP, Bal)(if you believe he'll stay healthy) are two more arms to consider.

I guess the question could become, is it worth trading to get a draft pick? That's 19 names right there and there are only 19 picks left. Some of those guys might be worth it, but with some of the others you might be better off waiting and see who is left to pick up after the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived