Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Source - USA Today, Dec 19, 2001

Also, a footnote to the story from the same article

Getting Rolen would have been awesome but we wouldn't have been able to build around him at that point. We also wouldn't have developed Bedard who netted us the sweet Seattle deal.

Though I guess one could argue what we could have got for Rolen some years down the line. Doubt it would have been as good, though.

Harang and Todd Frazier for Scott?

Yes please.

I wouldn't mind making a play for Alonso either, since, as CaptainRedbeard mentioned, he's blocked by Votto. Also, I wonder if the Reds would be interested in Guthrie, since he's cheaper than Harang and would probably do pretty well in the NL Central.

Yes please.

I wouldn't mind making a play for Alonso either, since, as CaptainRedbeard mentioned, he's blocked by Votto. Also, I wonder if the Reds would be interested in Guthrie, since he's cheaper than Harang and would probably do pretty well in the NL Central.

Alonso isn't blocked like people think. The Reds seem to have no problem with the idea of moving him to one of the corner outfield positions. If they were going to deal Alonso then Scott wouldn't make much sense. Alonso should be able to equal or surpass Scott's numbers and he can't be that much worse than Scott in the field. You have to think that another team would give up more than Scott for Alonso, but crazy trades happen everyday.

The Guthrie idea you mentioned makes very good sense IMO and Scott and Guthrie for Alonso and a low level prospect may get that deal done.

It's hard to think of a worse idea than dumping lots of players to clear payroll to sign a free agent coming off a career year at 33 after many seasons of unspectacular play.

Hmmm... Harang + $6.5M for Berken and Liz???

Isn't that roughly the equivalent of saying "would you just donate Harang and $6.5M to the Orioles"? If you squint hard enough you can imagine Berken as a generic middle reliever, and Liz has been less effective than a Charlie Finley high school draftee who skipped his prom to make his major league debut.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/money-worries-could-force-reds-to-move-all-star-phillips-others/

CHICAGO -- The Reds' need to slash payroll, according to a major league source, could lead them to explore trading second baseman Brandon Phillips as well as right-handers Bronson Arroyo and Aaron Harang.

...The source above said the Reds plan to cut back to $65-70 million, which is a challenge in part because of raises due Harang ($11 million to $12.5 million), Arroyo (from $9.5 million to $11 million) and Phillips (from $4.75 million to $5 million).

...They also need a shortstop and a catcher and have a decision to make at first base, where Joey Votto hit .322 but prospect Yonder Alonso (.838 OPS in the minors last season) seems close to being ready.

Arroyo and Votto for Tillman, Izturis, Snyder and Erbe?

I don't know if I'd do it or how realistic it is, but I'm just throwing it out there as a start. I don't know if they'd want Izturis enough, or if we would be willing to give up three top-ten prospects, or whether another team would beat that.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/money-worries-could-force-reds-to-move-all-star-phillips-others/

Arroyo and Votto for Tillman, Izturis, Snyder and Erbe?

I don't know if I'd do it or how realistic it is, but I'm just throwing it out there as a start. I don't know if they'd want Izturis enough, or if we would be willing to give up three top-ten prospects, or whether another team would beat that.

Might just be enough, I'd have a sick stomach at first but then I might feel a little more optimistic about it.

Also, can Phillips play SS or 3B?

Archived