Reds looking to dump salary to add Scutaro

Roll Tide

It's worth taking that contract if you can get Votto.

Realistically what would it take to get Votto and Arroyo. He might like coming here to beat on the team that traded him.

Also a question for you JTrea, who do you see as that impact SS that we add at some point like Tampa did with Barttlet beffore the winning came in '08? They also added Garza, so if we can add a workhorse like him and a legit SS we are in business IMO

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2009/11/10/money-worries-could-force-reds-to-move-all-star-phillips-others/

Arroyo and Votto for Tillman, Izturis, Snyder and Erbe?

I don't know if I'd do it or how realistic it is, but I'm just throwing it out there as a start. I don't know if they'd want Izturis enough, or if we would be willing to give up three top-ten prospects, or whether another team would beat that.

Replace Tillman with Arrieta and I'd probably make that deal. I'd rather get Harang than Arroyo, and while I'd love to get Votto, I think ultimately the Reds would want more than that.

Harang/Votto for Arrieta, Pie, Erbe and Waring

Would Cincy be interested in that? Do they still think Drew Stubbs is the future in CF or would they be interested in Pie? Definitely something to follow as the winter goes on...

Per MLBTR

A very intriguing trade chip could be young slugger Joey Votto, if the Reds wanted to make room for star prospect Yonder Alonso at first base. Another team could be convinced to take on a bad contract if it meant getting Votto, who isn't eligible for free agency until after the 2013 season.

Scott and Steve Johnson for Harang/Arroyo and Votto?

Since the Tigers seem to be looking to dump some players as well (Edwin Jackson has the most appeal to me here), is there a possibility that a three way deal could get worked out where we get Jackson and Votto? What do you think it would take to get this done?

Replace Tillman with Arrieta and I'd probably make that deal. I'd rather get Harang than Arroyo, and while I'd love to get Votto, I think ultimately the Reds would want more than that.

Harang/Votto for Arrieta, Pie, Erbe and Waring

Would Cincy be interested in that? Do they still think Drew Stubbs is the future in CF or would they be interested in Pie? Definitely something to follow as the winter goes on...

If Cincy is truly desperate to dump $70 million the value for Votto in a deal may diminish. They need to trade Harang, Arroyo, and Phillips and have the receiving team pick up a majority of their salaries. The incentive to pick up "lucrative" contracts? Joey Votto.

Realistically what would it take to get Votto and Arroyo. He might like coming here to beat on the team that traded him.

Also a question for you JTrea, who do you see as that impact SS that we add at some point like Tampa did with Barttlet beffore the winning came in '08? They also added Garza, so if we can add a workhorse like him and a legit SS we are in business IMO

I can see the Reds wanting Tillman for sure, but I have no problem dealing him for Votto.

Let's say Tillman, Arrieta, Snyder, Erbe and Pie for Votto and Arroyo.

The Reds aren't going to just give Votto away, and he'll likely cost more than AGon considering you have him for 4 years

As for that SS, Izturis is fine if we can upgrade the offense significantly elsewhere and there will be SS options in the next couple of years if we want to upgrade.

I can see the Reds wanting Tillman for sure, but I have no problem dealing him for Votto.

Were not trading Tillman, get that through your head.

That is such an awful deal for us.

That's insane. Absolutely insane. You want to trade 5 guys who are cheap and all under control for many, many years for a 12M dollar pitcher who will be lucky to have a 4.00 ERA in the AL East and Joey Votto? Look, Votto is great. But I wouldn't trade Tillman and Arrieta alone for him. Not to mention "throwing in" Snyder, Erbe and Pie and taking on Arroyo's 12 million.

Insane.

If Cincy is truly desperate to dump $70 million the value for Votto in a deal may diminish. They need to trade Harang' date=' Arroyo, and Phillips and have the receiving team pick up a majority of their salaries. The incentive to pick up "lucrative" contracts? Joey Votto.[/quote']

Sure, if you take on a bad contract you maybe can get Votto for less. But not a ton less. It's not like it's a Vernon Wells-type contract you are taking on. Harang is only signed through next year with an option for '11. Arroyo same deal. The Reds aren't just going to give away Votto for that. Sure, they might deal him, but you are going to have to give some guys up. I'd imagine they'd want Tillman or Matusz, but you might be able to start a deal with Arrieta if there were some other good pieces involved.

Were not trading Tillman, get that through your head.

I don't think you can make that statement. Tony has said that some in the organization see him as no more than a #4 starter. And if that's the case, you would think given the past failures of pitching prospects to live up to their hype, that they would sell high on Tillman while they still could.

I don't think you can make that statement. Tony has said that some in the organization see him as no more than a #4 starter. And if that's the case, you would think given the past failures of pitching prospects to live up to their hype, that they would sell high on Tillman while they still could.

There's going to be scouts for just about every pitching prospect who say that.

You're reading way too much into that comment, as usual.

Might just be enough, I'd have a sick stomach at first but then I might feel a little more optimistic about it.

Also, can Phillips play SS or 3B?

I would only have a sick stomach because of Tillman, but you have to give something to get something. Snyder would be replaced by Votto. I think the deal would make sense, but I would be shocked if anything of that magnitude were accomplished.

There's going to be scouts for just about every pitching prospect who say that.

You're reading way too much into that comment, as usual.

I have a bad feeling after seeing Tillman pitch. He might be great, but he looks more like a back of the rotation guy to me. I'd include him and Snyder in a deal for Votto and a high priced pitcher.

Archived