MacPhail cites Tex offer as proof the Orioles will spend money

JTrea81

Do you guys really need TS to do all of your research?

Do you actually think, without even remembering, that AM would be the one to set the market on Tex?

All of the offers came in around the same time...We put the 7/140 deal out there right around the time the 8/160 deals were out there.

We sat back and said we could go higher, as if we were in some "power seat" and Tex would just come running to us.

How much you feel we should have offered is a different argument....AM's lack of aggression is another one.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Want to take a second crack at my question?

I've only been skimming through this thread, mostly for the entertainment value, so I apologize if someone already gave this answer, but the answer in my mind is very simple: Not every free agent is Mark Teixeira.

Most free agents, even bigger ones, get less than seven years and $20 million a year. Therefore, that kind of money available towards one free agent makes it pretty obvious that it would still be available for another one.

You are focusing far too much on the Teixeira side of the question and almost not at all on the money side.

Do you guys really need TS to do all of your research?

Do you actually think, without even remembering, that AM would be the one to set the market on Tex?

All of the offers came in around the same time...We put the 7/140 deal out there right around the time the 8/160 deals were out there.

We sat back and said we could go higher, as if we were in some "power seat" and Tex would just come running to us.

How much you feel we should have offered is a different argument....AM's lack of aggression is another one.

We have no way of knowing this to be true, but just assuming it is; you have the Gnats offering 8/160 the O's offering 7/140-150 and the Angels 7-8/153 maybe. We know Tex wants to play for an East Coast team and at that time Boston has not made an offer and the Yankees aren't involved yet. Why should AM up his offer when it's very competitive with what the Gnats are offering?

Sure it is. It was the real market starting point, and certainly Tex did nothing to lower his value from then. At least two other teams recognized that simple fact. Source - Baltimore Sun, Dec 18

No it's not the real market starting point because things change and the fact that he wasn't on the open market. If the Angels had offered him that and he had turned it down, that would be more relevant because it would be in the same market and the Angels would likely still be willing to offer that once he entered free agency. Besides, once again, the O's made a better offer (tax issues aside) than did the Rangers.

The real market starting point is whatever a team or multiple teams open the bidding at, which may or may not be similar to what the Rangers offered.

And whatever Boras and Tex want (obviously more than they turned down) is not an indication of the real market starting point either. What he and others get is dictated by the market, not what they want or what they turned down 2 years or so before.

We have no way of knowing this to be true, but just assuming it is; you have the Gnats offering 8/160 the O's offering 7/140-150 and the Angels 7-8/153 maybe. We know Tex wants to play for an East Coast team and at that time Boston has not made an offer and the Yankees aren't involved yet. Why should AM up his offer when it's very competitive with what the Gnats are offering?

Are you serious????? If the Orioles had any real interest in Tex they would have matched the reported best offer ...Or we will be your best offer by X number of dollars.

Anyone who says the Orioles were serious must have been at the Park on give away night & received the free Orange colored sunglasses.

The Angels offered Tex $160 Million.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2008/12/13/the-angels-offer-mark-teixeira-160-million/

The Rangers had offered Tex $140 Million that he turned down before being traded to the Braves in 2007

So basically he waited 2 years to accept years to accept a $140 Million contract in Free Agency (Not Likely). I realize 140 Million was over 8 years instead of 7 . But you get the point .

Are you serious????? If the Orioles had any real interest in Tex they would have matched the reported best offer ...Or we will be your best offer by X number of dollars.

Anyone who says the Orioles were serious must have been at the Park on give away night & received the free Orange colored sunglasses.

The Rangers had offered Tex $140 Million that he turned down before being traded to the Braves in 2007

So basically he waited 2 years to accept years to accept a $140 Million contract in Free Agency (Not Likely). I realize 140 Million was over 8 years instead of 7 . But you get the point .

He would have accepted the best offer he could get. If no team offered more than the Rangers had, do you think he would have just sat out and sulked?

I think the O's were serious about signing him, didn't know what it would take, made a solid offer, said they were flexible, Tex ended up getting much better offers, and AM wasn't willing to go that high even if Boras came back to him.

I wouldn't call that proof that he's willing to spend because I don't know the exact timing of the offers or AM's limit, but I think it's compelling evidence that he would be willing to spend for the right guy.

Yes I'm serious, are you? I have looked through the various reports and can find nothing definitive as to who offered what, when. You show me a source e.g. that definitively prooves the Angels offered 8/160 before the O's offered 7/140-150. Do you know what " While the numbers aren't confirmed, the deal is believed to be an offer of eight years and around $160 million" means? I think not. I can show you an article that says Moreno left the winter meetings without offereing Tex anything. Not everything you read in the papers is true, especially when they don't claim it to be so.:rolleyestf:

He would have accepted the best offer he could get. If no team offered more than the Rangers had, do you think he would have just sat out and sulked?

I think the O's were serious about signing him, didn't know what it would take, made a solid offer, said they were flexible, Tex ended up getting much better offers, and AM wasn't willing to go that high even if Boras came back to him.

I wouldn't call that proof that he's willing to spend because I don't know the exact timing of the offers or AM's limit, but I think it's compelling evidence that he would be willing to spend for the right guy.

Any sane, reasonably objective, person would agree with this.;)

For some unknown reason, you assume "aggression" is the preferred approach to everything.

It's your personal trait, which says absolutely nothing about what's best.

He didn't need to up it immediately...I do agree with that.

However, once we knew that there was concrete 8/160 deals and then we heard about the Red Sox offer of around 8/170, that was when it was time to up it.

For some unknown reason, you assume "aggression" is the preferred approach to everything.

It's your personal trait, which says absolutely nothing about what's best.

And for some unknown reason, you have no clue as to what you are talking about and have never understood a damn thing I have ever said...So please, either go away or just keep "looking like Trea"(as you like to say he has no idea what he is talking about)...Its your choice.

Maybe I'm wrong, but hasn't it come out that Tex told AM he would not come to Baltimore and that he wanted to be on a World Series contender? If AM offered 10 years/210 million, would Tex have come to Baltimore? I seriously doubt it.

Do I think it was a token offer by AM? Yup, but only because Tex had no intention of coming to Baltimore. He couldn't not bid on Tex, a hometown kid and the answer to all our prayers. I think they could have gone higher if Tex would have been willing to come to Baltimore. Since we had no shot though, why tell everyone how much you're willing to spend on the top end? Would that have had some impact on the re-signing of Roberts and Markakis?

And, after all that, I think it a good idea that AM is picky about how he intends to spend the money...don't we all? The misery of the contracts of Baez, Walker and Bradford is finally over. I've never liked the idea of overpaying for journeyman free agents, but we had to in the past because our farm system was terrible.

Now, we'll see what he does with money to spend, albeit wisely. Would we be happy with Delgado, Beltran and Bedard? Personally, if Lackey is willing to listen and come here, I'd spend the money to get him here. His intangibles and ability make him a pitcher that can make the difference between mediocre and playoff contender.

And for some unknown reason, you have no clue as to what you are talking about and have never understood a damn thing I have ever said...So please, either go away or just keep "looking like Trea"(as you like to say he has no idea what he is talking about)...Its your choice.

SG, I have considered most posts you have made for the last couple years. The idea that it's either your way or the highway is absurd.

SG, I have considered most posts you have made for the last couple years. The idea that it's either your way or the highway is absurd.

Never said it was...again, go away.

Aggressiveness is obviously a factor here..to deny that is absurd.

You can argue to what degree he should be aggressive and that is where maybe we differ(you are fine with whatever AM does because you are still sucking at his daddy's power teet) but his agressiveness is definitely a factor here.

When it was obvious that we were the trailer in terms of the deals out there, AM kept saying that we can offer more...but he never did.

Archived