Bedard to the bullpen?

rp0806

I personally don't think it'd be a bad idea to move Bedard to the pen. He could go all out and not worry about his pitch count. He's always been a strikeout pitcher other than this year. Same thing in regards to preventing homeruns other than this year. If he fails as a starter I think he could be an interesting guy to try out in the pen. I could see him developing into a dominating relief pitcher as either a setup guy or a closer.

That being said I think it's way too early to think about moving him to the pen. I know he's incredibly frustrating to watch at times but he has had two years with decent enough ERA as a starting pitching overall even though he was inconsistent during both years.

He's improved in his last two starts. He still hasn't exactly been good but he's been better. He kept us in each of those games. I think at the least we need to stick with him for the rest of this year as a starter.

If he ends the year with an ERA over 5.00 then I think the Orioles might start thinking about converting him into a reliever.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not opposed to dealing him, but how much trade value does he have at the moment?

Alot

If he spends a month dominating in the BP he might be a little more attractive

No he won't.

Great analysis, thanks. What do you think the Orioles could get for him at the moment? They're not getting a good young position player or a top prospect. If he strings together 4-5 excellent starts before the allstar break they might get something decent, but at this point he doesn't have a lot of value IMO.

Great analysis, thanks. What do you think the Orioles could get for him at the moment? They're not getting a good young position player or a top prospect. If he strings together 4-5 excellent starts before the allstar break they might get something decent, but at this point he doesn't have a lot of value IMO.
Of course they could get some very good talent for him.

Young, cheap lefty starters with great stuff have alot of value.

5-6 bad starts this year is not going to change that.

He likely doesn't have as much value now as he did before OD or even through his first 5 or 6 starts but he still has plenty of value.

Whatever happens, it needs to be done soon. Bullpen, trade, whatever. He's arguably our worst starter now.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in his last 2 starts Bedard allowed 3 R in 6 IP and 2 R in 5 IP. That is hardly a reason to be looking to push Bedard out of the rotation.

Also, I'm all for being patient (I've repeatly pushed for the Orioles to trade Tejada and others so they'll be in a better position to compete down the road), but there's also something to be said for being bold. A big problem with the Orioles over the last few years has been an absolute unwillingness to take risks. They never sell high (and only buy low when there's no risk involved). That's why I'd love to see them trade Tejada and Mora. It would be a bold stroke that could potentially reshape the franchise for the next ten years. Similarly, moving Bedard at this point would be somewhat unorthodox, but I'd rather see them take a risk like that instead of sitting around and hoping things improve.

I remember thinking back to when I saw him in the minors and I thought that at worse Bedard would make a great Arthur Rhodes-type releiver. I've always been concerned with Bedard's pitch counts and lack of a good third pitch and now that he's seemed to have regressed a bit, a new role for the future may be in the cards.

Although I wouldn't make the move now, when Penn comes back, and if he's still struggling to go deep into games, a move to the bullpen should not be ruled out. It very well could be his best role in the long run.

He likely doesn't have as much value now as he did before OD or even through his first 5 or 6 starts but he still has plenty of value.

But what is the likely return? If you were Minaya or Byrnes or Daniels or Cashman or the Rangers GM, what you be willing to trade for Bedard?

I remember thinking back to when I saw him in the minors and I thought that at worse Bedard would make a great Arthur Rhodes-type releiver. I've always been concerned with Bedard's pitch counts and lack of a good third pitch and now that he's seemed to have regressed a bit, a new role for the future may be in the cards.

Although I wouldn't make the move now, when Penn comes back, and if he's still struggling to go deep into games, a move to the bullpen should not be ruled out. It very well could be his best role in the long run.

Alot of teams will still view him as a starter...Trade him before you send him to the pen. That will maximize his value more.

Of course they could get some very good talent for him.

Young, cheap lefty starters with great stuff have alot of value.

5-6 bad starts this year is not going to change that.

I don't think Bedard's value is as high you seem to think. He's 27-years old and has never put together a completely successful full season in the majors. He's regressed this year and when you add in the fact that he's never been a guy who could go deep into games (not in the minors or majors), I think you would find his value has dropped.

Does he have value? Sure. But I don't think he has elite value anymore and with the Orioles need for bullpen help, it may be better to see if he can make a successful arthur Rhodes-type conversion.

If the O's can trade him and get a top power prospect they should, but I think eventually sending him to the bullpen is probably a more realistic outcome.

It depends on what you are deep in and what your needs are.

Well, just pick one of those teams. If you're Josh Byrnes, what would you give up for Bedard right now (or a month from now assuming Bedard hasn't improved significantly and the DBacks are still 1-2 games back in the division)? If the Orioles could get C. Jackson in that scenario I say do it, but I don't think Bedard gets you a guy like that.

(to be fair, a month of dominating peformance in the BP isn't going to change that equation much, but he might have more value to the Orioles there)

It depends on what you are deep in and what your needs are.

Well, just pick one of those teams. If you're Josh Byrnes, what would you give up for Bedard right now (or a month from now assuming Bedard hasn't improved significantly and the DBacks are still 1-2 games back in the division)? If the Orioles could get C. Jackson in that scenario I say do it, but I don't think Bedard gets you a guy like that.

(to be fair, a month of dominating peformance in the BP isn't going to change that equation much, but he might have more value to the Orioles there)

There isn't a pitcher on the market who could get Conor Jackson.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in his last 2 starts Bedard allowed 3 R in 6 IP and 2 R in 5 IP. That is hardly a reason to be looking to push Bedard out of the rotation.

Thank you. A voice of reason is finally heard in this thread.

Archived