Padres asking price for Adrian Gonzalez

GoldGlove21

We need to get some of the best available talent when its available. The Orioles have a gross of pitching talent & 2 potential star CF guys..... They have a good 3B candidate thats nearing the show. But as far as organizational depth most of our postion prospects are mediocre.

You are right..Positional talent is weak...And your solution to that is to trade what we have for 1 player? Yea, good strategy! :rolleyes:

The Orioles need to add 1 more guy...Either a SS or first baseman.

Give me one more top level talent, whether proven or unproven, at either of those positions and I will be happy.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We need to get some of the best available talent when its available. The Orioles have a gross of pitching talent & 2 potential star CF guys..... They have a good 3B candidate thats nearing the show. But as far as organizational depth most of our postion prospects are mediocre.

I did just about everything I could do to emphasize that word. I wish there was a button you could press to make it jump onto viewer's desks and shout into a bullhorn or something...

The Orioles have a surplus of talent. Unproven (in many regards) talent. In fact, talent that I'd wager we value much more highly than other teams around the league. We traded...what, half a sandwich for Felix Pie? Funny that he gave us half a good season in return. I'm not ready to hand him the full time outfield reigns based on that half-season, and I seriously doubt other teams look at him as "the answer" to whatever outfield problems they may have.

In a perfect world, in terms of comparable worth, we should be able to offer the Padres 2-3 very good, full-of-potential, young players in exchange for Adrian Gonzalez and have that be enough. Odds are, however, that it'd take 4-5 players of that kind. Not...worth...it.

Actually he hit 40 this season playing for the Pads in a pitchers park.

Nick had 20 homers & 87 RBIs in 2008

And 18 Homers & 101 RBIs this season

Gonzalez had 36 Homer & 119 RBIs in 2008 (16 more Home runs & 32 more RBI)

and this season 40 Homers & 99 Rbis (a little low but his slg % was 510 ..so I suspect he batted often with the bases empty)

In fact his SLG has been .500 the past 4 seasons. Its funny Nick hasnt had a .500 SLG since hes been in the majors.

SG I cant believe your trying to argue that Nick is a comparable player to Gonzalez ...It just isnt true. Dont argue the OPS with me because Gonzalez's job is ti hit homers & drive in runs.

keep the WAR stats & all ...Besides Nick would be a much more productive player with Gonzalez batting behind him in the line up.

Yea, too bad there are a ton of studies out there that debunk the whole lineup protection myth.

If Gonzalez could be had for an appropriate price, I'd be fine with that. However, I doubt you could get him for an appropriate price, which is what most reports I've read have said, given how affordable he is and how well-liked he is in SD.

Why does Gonzalez have to be the final piece?

I would argue a player like a Jose Reyes or a Jimmy Rollins could be the final piece in 2012.

Yes, so if one of those players is the final piece why trade 4 or or 5 potential quality players for a player that does not even get us to the play offs, when you can add both for the 2012 season.

Actually he hit 40 this season playing for the Pads in a pitchers park.

Nick had 20 homers & 87 RBIs in 2008

And 18 Homers & 101 RBIs this season

Gonzalez had 36 Homer & 119 RBIs in 2008 (16 more Home runs & 32 more RBI)

and this season 40 Homers & 99 Rbis (a little low but his slg % was 510 ..so I suspect he batted often with the bases empty)

In fact his SLG has been .500 the past 4 seasons. Its funny Nick hasnt had a .500 SLG since hes been in the majors.

SG I cant believe your trying to argue that Nick is a comparable player to Gonzalez ...It just isnt true. Dont argue the OPS with me because Gonzalez's job is ti hit homers & drive in runs.

keep the WAR stats & all ...Besides Nick would be a much more productive player with Gonzalez batting behind him in the line up.

I agree with you, Its seem we all want to improve are team but we don't want to give anyone up to make it happen.Trading some of are young guys is not going to kill our farm system. I think we know how important the farm system is but look at Boston and NY that does not stop them from making deals and there farm systems are just fine. I just think we fall in love with our young guys and over value them.

If the Padres allowed the Orioles to negotiate an extension with Gonzales and he agreed to a two or three year extension, what package could you see AM giving up?

Would something like Tillman, Snyder, Pie, Erbe do it? Or more???

If the Padres allowed the Orioles to negotiate an extension with Gonzales and he agreed to a two or three year extension, what package could you see AM giving up?

Would something like Tillman, Snyder, Pie, Erbe do it? Or more???

I think if you'd add Arrieta to that package, it would do it.

Trembley on MacPhail's desire to acquire bats without trading the top young pitchers in the organization:

"I think that's the direction we'd like it to go. I can't see us trading any of our good young arms. I think Andy's been very consistent with that. We're going to develop our own pitching and try to get as much of an inventory as we possibly can. I think we've seen in the post-season and World Series that starting pitching is at a premium, and good start pitching. He has said we'll grow the arms and buy the bats. I don't see us trading those high-quality arms. I think it would have to be something really, really overwhelming for that to be considered. I don't see Andy changing his philosophy, and I'm in total agreement."

http://masnsports.com/2009/11/checking-in-with-trembley.html?loc=interstitialskip

Please God, nobody tell me that Adrian Gonzalez or Cabrera would be overwhelming.

Ha, caught that didn't you? MacPhail has also said he's not adverse to trading young pitching for a LT solution.

If the Sox get Gonzalez, we may have to do just that. 95 wins might no longer be enough.

Archived