Baseball America Posts BAL Top 10

Stotle

Agree. Disappointed in the standard industry guys ranking Givens so high. Doesn't seem to mesh.

Well, if they think it's something correctable, then I'm not sure why that's a big deal. To me, it would seem to be a good sign that his reputation hasn't disappeared, only diminished. The implication is that the problem isn't the competition, but rather something intrinsic and correctable.

Makes me think of Dan Marino's senior year at Pitt. Which admittedly might be wholly inapt.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if they think it's something correctable, then I'm not sure why that's a big deal. To me, it would seem to be a good sign that his reputation hasn't disappeared, only diminished. The implication is that the problem isn't the competition, but rather something intrinsic and correctable.

Makes me think of Dan Marino's senior year at Pitt. Which admittedly might be wholly inapt.

It's the cynic in me. Seems like scouts/coaches spitballing rather than analyzing. Good news, I agree, that BA reports BAL liked what they saw in fall instructionals. It'd be fantastic if I end up with egg all over my face, because I'd love to see Givens do well and do it quickly.

Interesting that they have Tillman as the #1 over Matutz.

And another place that has Britton over Arrieta.

It looks like a pick - um from BA on who is the future #1 starter. I choose Matusz because the younger age is irrelevant since he went to College and was up in the big leagues in less than a year and did better than Tillman. I also think that command and smarts is much better than a "shade better stuff". Here's the chat Q&A on Tillman and Matusz:

Jed (Bmore): I see that you guys projected Tillman to be the No. 1 guy in 2013...from what I saw last year, I feel like Matusz will be the No. 1 guy...granted, I'm not a scout so why do you guys think Tillman will be better than Matusz? Or was it just a coin flip because they are both very good?

Will Lingo: I think it is a very close call, but Tillman has done more at a younger age and his stuff is just a shade better. Matusz's tremendous feel for pitching could eventually move him ahead of Tillman, though. Nice problem to have.

As for why Britton over Arrieta - Command issues with Arrieta that make him a candidate for the BP and a "notch below the top pitchers (yes, Britton is now considered one of the top pitchers). I still like Jake more and believe that he will work those issues out, after all Britton also has some command issues, though he is younger and has more time to work those out.

It's the cynic in me. Seems like scouts/coaches spitballing rather than analyzing. Good news, I agree, that BA reports BAL liked what they saw in fall instructionals. It'd be fantastic if I end up with egg all over my face, because I'd love to see Givens do well and do it quickly.

Always hard to tell (if not impossible) whether you're looking at a collective wisdom that's not over-reacting, or simply a collective wisdom that refuses to change its mind when presented with evidence.

As for the second part, I think that's something that gets lost around here. Thinking analytically and objectively (as possible) around here sometimes gets misread as being "down" on someone.

Here's the chat Q&A on Tillman and Matusz:
Jed (Bmore): I see that you guys projected Tillman to be the No. 1 guy in 2013...from what I saw last year, I feel like Matusz will be the No. 1 guy...granted, I'm not a scout so why do you guys think Tillman will be better than Matusz? Or was it just a coin flip because they are both very good?

Will Lingo: I think it is a very close call, but Tillman has done more at a younger age and his stuff is just a shade better. Matusz's tremendous feel for pitching could eventually move him ahead of Tillman, though. Nice problem to have.

Seems to me that he has the "eventually" part backwards.

Matusz has the feel already. Just watch the guy, it's obvious.

What we're gonna find out "eventually" is whether Tillman can catch up and do better than him.

I have no idea what the answer will be, but I'm pretty sure that's the question...

Seems to me that he has the "eventually" part backwards.

Matusz has the feel already. Just watch the guy, it's obvious.

What we're gonna find out "eventually" is whether Tillman can catch up and do better than him.

I have no idea what the answer will be, but I'm pretty sure that's the question...

Classic. Thanks.

I'll take Will Lingo's opinion.

The best thing to conclude IMO is that we have two elite young pitchers in the organization.

Classic. Thanks.

The best thing to conclude IMO is that we have two elite young pitchers in the organization.

Well, you shouldn't be surprised to have Shack weigh in on a part of baseball he doesn't actually follow, should you?

Classic. Thanks.

Well, you shouldn't be surprised to have Shack weigh in on a part of baseball he doesn't actually follow, should you?

Nice content-free snark...

What part do you disagree with? You think Tillman is the better P, and Matusz might eventually be better than him? Is that what you think?

Ha ha. I like shack just fine, still it never ceases to amaze me what some folks do when confronted with the opinion of a subject matter expert.

Ha ha. I like shack just fine, still it never ceases to amaze me what some folks do when confronted with the opinion of a subject matter expert.

In his defense, you see a lot of people alternate on who they think is better between Brian and Chris. Tillman has the youth on his side, Matusz has polish beyond his years. I personally don't care which one is better, they are both going to be darn good. Haven't been this excited for O's pitching since Mussina/McDonald.

In his defense, you see a lot of people alternate on who they think is better between Brian and Chris. Tillman has the youth on his side, Matusz has polish beyond his years. I personally don't care which one is better, they are both going to be darn good. Haven't been this excited for O's pitching since Mussina/McDonald.[/quote]

Amen!

This is a projection. And Tillman has a higher-ceiling projection. That's what I think.

Yeah, that's that power pitcher thing for you. It's just an extra dynamic. Power guys can refine and improve things like control and be better than the polish/control guys. Kinda rare for them to make it completely to their ceiling, but the potential is definitely there for Tillman.

Archived