McGwire admits using steroids

Skeletor

And in other news......

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f_DPrSEOEo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McNutty called a little while ago and told me to recap the Costas interview for him, here's what I have so far:

Says he didn't use in 1987.

Says he started using winter of 89-90, used a couple weeks worth.

Used consistently in winter of 93-94.

Says he did it for health purposes to help recover from injuries.

Aw jeez, he's gonna cry. Says he was so torn up from injuries he was desperate.

Costas asked if he could have hit 70 homers without the roids, McGwire says he could. Says he was a homer hitter before the roids.

Says he had to sit back in 93 and 94 during his time off and really study pitching, thats where the biggest change came from.

Costas asks again if he would have hit his big homer years without steroids, McGwire says yes. Says again that he took em for health reasons.

Wish I never played in that era, wish we had drug testing.

Doesn't remember the names of the roids...did injectibles, but preferred orals. Took low dosages.

He's welling up. Apologizes to his family, the Marises, Selig...says its the hardest day of his life. Talked to Roger Maris's wife, she was disappointed.

Costas is whipping out Canseco, tosses out the quote about injecting each other in the stalls. McGwire again denies it.

Says LaRussa found out this morning. Welling up again.

"I've let a lot of people down" More welling up.

"I've wanted to come clean since 2005...didn't know where, or when or how"

Costas asks why he testified how he did in 2005.

Wanted to get it off his chest, says his lawyers advised him against it, they told him if they admitted to it he could have gone before a grand jury. Lawyers couldn't get immunity for him. Didn't want to bring in anyone/everyone for a trial, prosecution. Had to do what I had to do to protect myself, my family and my friends...anyone would have done the exact same thing.

I knew someday, somehow somewhere I was going to have to talk about this...didn't want to put pressure on the Cardinals, said he had to come clean today.

Parents, son found out yesterday. Totally kept it to himself. Parents never asked him.

Bob asks how much of a burden it was to carry this secret "I think you see it", wells up even more, closest to full blown tears. Bob throws it to commercial break real quick.

Well it's certainly not a shocker. :rolleyes:

But, now we know for sure! You never know for sure 100% until someone comes out and admits it. You can always assume, but that's all it is, an assumption, until it's admitted.

Gee, do you think my 10 rookie cards I have of him will go up in value? :P

McGwire seemed delusional to me in the Costas interview.

He refused to admit that it's possible he may not have hit 70 hr without steroids. He kept citing his God given ability. I find that ironic.

McGwire claimed the "low level" of steroids he took just made him feel normal. He says it had nothing to do with strength gains. It was simply for health.

He also said his mental strength was something "no pill or injection" could give him. That is complete garbage. Beyond the immense physical gains and ability to recover quickly, steroids offer a huge bump in confidence and focus. One of the things that makes steroids so addictive is the psychological benefits. The sense of well-being. The feeling of walking on clouds. The confidence that you can do anything.

He is like most steroid users I've known: he took the steroids, reaped the benefits, then assigned other reasons for why he saw such dramatic improvements.

A lot of steroid users truly seem to convince themselves that the steroids are far down the list of why new plataus are reached. Yet they can't seem to stop taking steroids for very long.

McGwire came off looking terrible in my opinion.

McGwire seemed delusional to me in the Costas interview.

He refused to admit that it's possible he may not have hit 70 hr without steroids. He kept citing his God given ability. I find that ironic.

McGwire claimed the "low level" of steroids he took just made him feel normal. He says it had nothing to do with strength gains. It was simply for health.

He also said his mental strength was something "no pill or injection" could give him. That is complete garbage. Beyond the immense physical gains and ability to recover quickly, steroids offer a huge bump in confidence and focus. One of the things that makes steroids so addictive is the psychological benefits. The sense of well-being. The feeling of walking on clouds. The confidence that you can do anything.

He is like most steroid users I've known: he took the steroids, reaped the benefits, then assigned other reasons for why he saw such dramatic improvements.

A lot of steroid users truly seem to convince themselves that the steroids are far down the list of why new plataus are reached. Yet they can't seem to stop taking steroids for very long.

McGwire came off looking terrible in my opinion.

You said this well.

Archived