McGwire admits using steroids

Skeletor

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_steroids_mcgwire;_ylt=Anj8aSTDmC8SQomMjaxEX4wLMxIF;_ylu=X3oDMTJsMGkyM2htBGFzc2V0A2FwLzIwMTAwMTE

"I'm sure people will wonder if I could have hit all those home runs had I never taken steroids," McGwire said. "I had good years when I didn't take any, and I had bad years when I didn't take any. I had good years when I took steroids, and I had bad years when I took steroids. But no matter what, I shouldn't have done it and for that I'm truly sorry."

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably thinks this helps his chances of getting into the HOF. But did he tell Congress the opposite? Wouldn't that spell more trouble for him since he lied under oath?

He was evasive to Congressional questioning, if I remember right.

He's probably doing this now so he won't face a gazillion questions the minute camp starts for the Cards.

I think this DOES help his HOF chances. Rhetorically, it is clever that he notes he did well and poorly both on and off the juice, as if it didn't make a difference. The down side to that is that people are going to ask him specifically which years he took the juice. If he's clever, he'll say one or two good years and try to point to the bad years as the years he did poorly.

About the congeresional testimony. Big Mac said he "was not here to talk about the past". He never gave a straight yes or no and in no way pujured himself.

It is kinda of a moot point really, the feds have only ever been interested in throwing one baseball player in jail for steroid use and his name isn't McGwire.

He never lied, he simply pleaded the 5th by claiming he wasnt "here to talk about the past".

Ok, well that's smarter than saying "no, I didn't do steroids", I suppose. He was obviously able to afford a smarter lawyer than Miggy. ;)

Even now that he's admitting the use of steroids, from the OP quote, he's not fully conceding that it enhanced his career. He had good years and he had bad years while using steroids but in the end he had enough good years to cheat tons of money out of his team.

Oh well, guess this ends all of the debating from Migrant Redbird. He's a great contributor here but trying to argue that McGwire wasn't a steroid user was futile.

Well, this wasn't exactly a surprise. It really is too bad that he didn't own up sooner, but I doubt the fact that he waited this long will hurt his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame. Either the writers will decide, in time, to ignore the fact that certain guys have admitted using steroids, or they won't. The timing of a player's admission won't really matter.

Archived