Mussina gets 250th win

Boy Howdy

I already thought he'd done enough to merit a HOF plaque, but this nice, round number will probably convince a few others.

His career regular season record is now 250-144.

While his won-lost mark in 15 post-season series is just 7-8, he's actually pitched much better than that. What Orioles fan can forget Moose's two starts in the 1997 ALCS: 15ip 4h 25k 0.60 ERA & 2 n0-decisions. Aaaargh!

I already thought he'd done enough to merit a HOF plaque, but this nice, round number will probably convince a few others.

His career regular season record is now 250-144.

While his won-lost mark in 15 post-season series is just 7-8, he's actually pitched much better than that. What Orioles fan can forget Moose's two starts in the 1997 ALCS: 15ip 4h 25k 0.60 ERA & 2 n0-decisions. Aaaargh!

Congrats to Moose, although I certainly wish he'd have gotten all of them in an O's uniform. Good for him.

I hope he gets 50 more.

gonna be real tough but I echo the sentiment. I believe it will take at least 25 more for him to get in the Hall though I think he deserves it now.

I really believe when it is all said and done he will be overlooked and not given due consideration for the Hall.

Look behind Moose, and you'll see there aren't many 250-game winners coming down the pike. http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/W_active.shtml

Although there are some others who have a shot at it, it isn't far-fetched to say that it could be 10 years before anyone else reaches 250. The best candidates out there are probably Moyer (229 wins at age 44), Pedro Martinez (209 wins at age 35), and Andy Pettitte (200 wins at age 35). Any of them could make it, but none of them are a sure thing.

It wouldn't surprise me too much if he rebounded and won another 50 or 75 games. Look at Jamie Moyer's age-37 season in 2000. Looked like he was done, right? Then he won 20 two of the next three years. Or he could retire in two months. I guess a lot of it depends on how much he wants to keep going.

This isn't news to many of you, but I think Mussina is a HOFer right now. As far as I'm concerned everything he does from here on out is gravy. But as much as ever I have no idea what the HOF voting standards are going to be in the future. I have a feeling that they'll get significantly tougher than in the past, and we're going to have a historically thin class coming out of the 1995-2010 era, despite a talent level that's as good as any era in baseball history. Steroids just gives an excuse to the oldtime voters who've long believed that baseball peaked when they were 17 years old.

And for all the talk of the death of 300-game winners, I also believe this is a temporary thing. Baseball goes in cycles, and we've pretty well reached a minimum for starting pitcher's wins. When starters average a little over five innings a game you can't go much lower. You can't have more relievers without expanded rosters. I think it's likely that in 10 or 20 years there will be innovations (medical and otherwise) and strategy changes that reverse today's trends and make 20- and 300-game winners more common.

Archived