Nomar Retires as Member of the Red Sox

Sanfran327

Not exactly a shocker, but perhaps a bit surprising considering the way they split before the 2004 WS run. He whinned his way out of town, broke his wrist, and was having other health issues. Not as bad as the way it went down when they traded Manny (who, for my money, will also retire/enter the hall as a member of the Red Sox), but not exactly a happy ending.

Garciaparra was an excellent hitter in his day. It takes a ton of talent to win multiple batting titles, and he won two of them.

In his prime, and when healthy, Nomar was a damn fine hitter. One of the best in the business. It's a shame that injuries destroyed his career. Things were never the same for him after 2003. Had he stayed healthy I think there was a good chance he would have been a Hall of Famer. But thanks to injuries and his big drop off in performance, I don't see it happening.

In his prime, and when healthy, Nomar was a damn fine hitter. One of the best in the business. It's a shame that injuries destroyed his career. Things were never the same for him after 2003. Had he stayed healthy I think there was a good chance he would have been a Hall of Famer. But thanks to injuries and his big drop off in performance, I don't see it happening.

Honestly, I don't either. But you're right... had his health not derailed his career, we'd probably be looking at him in the HOF ~2018.

One's retired, two others are playing third base and the fourth should have moved off the position years ago.

Man I feel old.

I used to leave my office at GT, and go watch Varitek and Nomar play college ball on the very nearby field. The team also had an OF'er named Jay Payton, and when somebody took him in the 1st round, we said WTF? Seems like only yesterday. But now, one of them was gone last year, another is gone this year, and the third one is about to be done real soon now. Damn.

Kinda surprising that the the guy who lasted longest is the one who's a catcher and is the oldest of them. Of the three, Varitek was the stud in college, he kept hitting them over the 405 sign. But the coaches said Nomar would have the best career of the three...

Archived