The Pirates broadcast crew said a bunch of dubious stuff. I'm not putting much stock in their opinion of how to build a solid team. At one point, they claimed the Pirates should have a really solid pitching staff this season.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most of our young players had winning experiences in the minors at Frederick and Bowie, and each of the vets we acquired has been a key part of a playoff team in the past, so I'm not too worried that the team's confidence will be fragile.

Not only that, but almost all of these players were great players on very good college/high school/Babe Ruth/travel teams. Every single one of them have won a whole lot of baseball games, and probably a fair share of trophies, in their lives.

The Pirates broadcast crew said a bunch of dubious stuff. I'm not putting much stock in their opinion of how to build a solid team. At one point, they claimed the Pirates should have a really solid pitching staff this season.

Context, context, context. The Pirates will almost certainly have one of the 40 best pitching staffs in the known universe in 2010.

During the everyday grind of the regular season I think superior talent and hustle will win out over past successes or failures. However, I do think getting used to winning helps in the postseason. If the team like the O’s were somehow able to get the wildcard this year they would probably have a “happy to be there” aura surrounding them. Once you establish winning expectations is when you can make a run. Obviously the Rays and I’m sure other teams prove me wrong, just my two cents.

Not only that, but almost all of these players were great players on very good college/high school/Babe Ruth/travel teams. Every single one of them have won a whole lot of baseball games, and probably a fair share of trophies, in their lives.

But nobody on the current Orioles team has won anything at the major league level (that I can think of). So there is a confidence hurdle to overcome. Afterall, they are playing on a team which has been losing now for nearly 13 years! Nobody really even expects them to win. So why should they?

I'm a little confused.

Didn't OF post that he didn't want us to do well in Spring Training?

In any event, no matter the day, month or year.. I want the O's to be playing well and winning.

If you take two completely opposite positions, then you should be right about something.;)

If you take two completely opposite positions, then you should be right about something.;)

As I said in the opening of the thread I thought about what the Pirates announcers said and it made sense for a young team that maybe getting some wins in ST could help build confidence. For Pete's sake haven't you ever had somone make you re-think your position on something?:confused: No need to crucify me for it!:eek::(

Having or lacking confidence may provide a slight uptick or downturn in performance respectively, but I don't think it is a barrier to anything. The team with the most talent will win most of the time and that's just how it works. These guys are all professional ballplayers and understand what it takes to win a game.

Having or lacking confidence may provide a slight uptick or downturn in performance respectively, but I don't think it is a barrier to anything. The team with the most talent will win most of the time and that's just how it works. These guys are all professional ballplayers and understand what it takes to win a game.

Yeah, but until you do something at a higher level for the first time there has to be doubt that you can suceed at such a high level. They have to prove they are good enough and some probably are and some aren't going to be. Ergo, a confidence boost would do wonders. Hayden Penn always looked to me like he lacked confidence when pitching against major league hitters. I saw something where he is off to a good start this season. It just seems like it is a barrier for any unproven players that they can show they belong.

As I said in the opening of the thread I thought about what the Pirates announcers said and it made sense for a young team that maybe getting some wins in ST could help build confidence. For Pete's sake haven't you ever had somone make you re-think your position on something?:confused: No need to crucify me for it!:eek::(

To the contrary, I appreciate it when someone is willing to consider other points of view and re-think their position, so good for you.

I think there is little question that confidence can be very important in baseball. We've all seen teams go through stretches where it feels like they are just waiting for something to go wrong, or conversely, where you just know something good will happen.

With that said, if you look at who has been playing in these games, I think the performance to date has just about zero impact on anyone's confidence. And as Earl Weaver once said, "momentum is the next day's starting pitcher." I think confidence will be just fine so long as the starters demonstrate that they will keep the team in games on a consistent basis, and nothing that happens in spring training is going to prove or disprove that.

To the contrary, I appreciate it when someone is willing to consider other points of view and re-think their position, so good for you.

I think there is little question that confidence can be very important in baseball. We've all seen teams go through stretches where it feels like they are just waiting for something to go wrong, or conversely, where you just know something good will happen.

With that said, if you look at who has been playing in these games, I think the performance to date has just about zero impact on anyone's confidence. And as Earl Weaver once said, "momentum is the next day's starting pitcher." I think confidence will be just fine so long as the starters demonstrate that they will keep the team in games on a consistent basis, and nothing that happens in spring training is going to prove or disprove that.

I agree with you as what you say just makes good sense.:clap3:

No matter what anyone says, I can't get excited about spring training records. If the Orioles come north with no significant injuries and the pitchers are where Trembley and Kranitz want them to be, then they've accomplished what I think they need to accomplish.

But nobody on the current Orioles team has won anything at the major league level (that I can think of). So there is a confidence hurdle to overcome. Afterall, they are playing on a team which has been losing now for nearly 13 years! Nobody really even expects them to win. So why should they?

Sounds like you're asking a question (again) for which you already have an answer.

Why don't you just tell us what you think? :rolleyes:

Yeah, but until you do something at a higher level for the first time there has to be doubt that you can suceed at such a high level. They have to prove they are good enough and some probably are and some aren't going to be. Ergo, a confidence boost would do wonders. Hayden Penn always looked to me like he lacked confidence when pitching against major league hitters. I saw something where he is off to a good start this season. It just seems like it is a barrier for any unproven players that they can show they belong.

There ya' go - I knew if I read far enough I would find out that you had already answered your own "question."

Archived