Pie limps off field

Tony-OH

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying it isn't serious but Pie seems to make an injury seem serious by his reaction when it occurs and then is fine as soon as the next day it seems.

My bet would be Pie's reaction made it seem worse than it was, or at least I hope that is the case...

Not saying it isn't serious but Pie seems to make an injury seem serious by his reaction when it occurs and then is fine as soon as the next day it seems.

My bet would be Pie's reaction made it seem worse than it was, or at least I hope that is the case...

Who would have thought that getting hit with a baseball would hurt?

Pie will be fine. I think he's a good player, but I think he is soft and overreacts to injury (just my opinion).

Wow. Took a hard pitch just a few inches above his ankle, danced around for a second or two, got removed BY HIS MANAGER, so he must be soft and overreacting.

Nice.

It's funny, one of my first thoughts when watching the play was that inevitably somebody here was going to pipe up about how soft Pie is and how he makes too much of minor injuries. Yet his reaction seemed perfectly normal, nothing overstated.

I'm wondering, if this same sequence had happened with any other player, would there have been any comment at all about his reaction?

No offense to either.... reminds me of Mora.

Unfortunately, it's become a common occurrence for the Yankees and Orioles this spring, with Felix Pie's plunking from Mariano Rivera Friday afternoon becoming the latest incident between the two clubs.

Pie exited with two outs in the sixth inning after Rivera's cutter struck him above the right ankle. The pitch was believed to be unintentional but, according to Girardi, Rivera heard some off-color comments from the Orioles dugout as he circled the mound.

"It might have been a response to my frustration the other day," Girardi said, alluding to the pitch Jeremy Guthrie hit Mark Teixeira with during Monday's 11-7 Yankees win.

http://brittghiroli.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/04/more_to_pie_plunking.html

I just posted that in another thread. Sorry if I should have slugger it in here.

Still very interesting. I don't really buy girardis excuse... Guthrie has been all over the place during the spring.

EXACTLY. Guts was lost. If Ghirardi thought that was intentional he's clueless. Looking for some controversy.

"Pie headed back to Orioles camp soon after the beaning and we should all know his status for Opening Day by Saturday afternoon. He appeared to be in a significant amount of pain and is questionable for the opener."

Britt Ghiroli on Twitter Apr.

Well, first off it appears that Ghiroli doesn't even know the difference between getting plunked in the leg and a beaning. Who is this person? A beaning is when the P hits the batter in the freakin head with a fastball. Bouncing a pitch off a batter's lower body parts is not a beaning, just like a punch to the stomach is not the same thing as getting shot in the head with a gun.

Given that Ghiroli doesn't know basic baseball terminology, the comment about "questionable for the opener" is based on what? Who says Pie is questionable for the opener? Sounds like something Ghiroli just made up, based on nothing. Personally, I think highly of Felix but I also think he has a, um, let's see... how about "a flair for the dramatic". I don't know beans about what happened, but I'm guessing he'll fine as soon as the ouch wears off...

EDIT: The hysterical twitter noise suggested to me that it looked bad. I just now saw the thing on TIVO, and it didn't look bad at all. It didn't hit him on the ankle, it hit him at the top strap on his shin guard armor. Felix did not do any high-drama pain-thing, he was just walking if off, that's all. DT came and got him and sent him back to the clubhouse. BFD. The stuff about "questionable for OD" seems like 100% BS.

I have faith in Pie. He's a gamer, and he'll be alright come Opening Day.

I'm so excited to watch Pie this year.

I am hopeful that Pie breaks out this year also but a gamer?? Not real sure about that.

Let's hope he is able to play soon. As far as Tuesday, not a big deal. Reimold looked good today. He was moving well, stole a base so he could make the start.

One piece of information that hasn't filtered through the vitriol in this thread: Davis and Johnson mentioned on the postgame that the reason he went back to Sarasota for an x-ray is that the Yankees apparently do not have an available x-ray machine at their Tampa stadium, which is very unusual. (Give them the benefit of the doubt, maybe the x-ray machine went north with the moving vans earlier in the day or something).

EXACTLY. Guts was lost. If Ghirardi thought that was intentional he's clueless. Looking for some controversy.

"I'm Joey Pitbull, and I likes my meat raw...hey, did you notice I changed my number to 28 for this season? Subtle, huh?"

I got drilled in the ankle, right on the bone in high school. Granted whoever was pitching didn't throw nearly as hard as Rivera but at that point there isn't much of anything there to absorb the impact...it's pretty much just skin on top of bone.

I was on crutches for about 4-5 days. Bruised ligaments and tendons, IIRC.

Archived