I like the booing

Skeletor

To me the booing shows the fans still care, and that is important.

Dead silence in that situation would be a lot worse.

I was disappointed on Tuesday when Gonzalez blew it in the 9th.

I was pulling my hair out Thursday night when he loaded the bases in the 9th.

I was at the ballpark today and the loss burns me up.

However, I do NOT boo my team !!

I'll boo a bad call by the umps; I'll boo when an Oriole gets plunked; I'll boo when the Yankees are announced; I'll boo when Yankee fans start their chanting in my ballpark, but no matter how bad it gets, I will not boo my team.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just saying, it's a difference of opinion. If it were up to me, I would have given Gonzalez a night off after laboring through the 9th inning last night.

When Gonzalez came out of the bullpen, I turned to my buddy and said, "This guy doesn't have the foggiest clue where it's going right now. This is a bad idea."

What you said isn't crazy. I wondered the same thing before the game you did. All I am saying is that there isn't a manager who can hide around a bad back-end of the bullpen. At some point the dam will break.

What you said isn't crazy. I wondered the same thing before the game you did. All I am saying is that there isn't a manager who can hide around a bad back-end of the bullpen. At some point the dam will break.

It's hard for me to believe Gonzalez is THIS bad, really. He's obviously been successful in the past, but I don't care what league you're in. The way he's pitching right now is pooty tang.

I'm sure he'll figure it out, but it's disheartening to kick off a season of moderate expectations like this... especially on the heels of MacPhail saying how losing a game at the very end can be demoralizing for a young team.

That's a guy who cost us 2nd round pick and $12MM that's blown two saves in three chances. People are gonna boo.

It's hard for me to believe Gonzalez is THIS bad, really. He's obviously been successful in the past, but I don't care what league you're in. The way he's pitching right now is pooty tang.

I'm sure he'll figure it out, but it's disheartening to kick off a season of moderate expectations like this... especially on the heels of MacPhail saying how losing a game at the very end can be demoralizing for a young team.

That's a guy who cost us 2nd round pick and $12MM that's blown two saves in three chances. People are gonna boo.

I hear you. I am very upset. I don't golf, don't fish, Orioles baseball is my summer, they are my childhood team. I am tired of all this too. I just didn't get the booing before he even performed today.

I hear you. I am very upset. I don't golf, don't fish, Orioles baseball is my summer, they are my childhood team. I am tired of all this too. I just didn't get the booing before he even performed today.

Yeah, I wasn't involved in that particular booing.

What I really didn't get was why did Trembley take him out of the game after the bases were clear and there were two outs? What's the deal w/ that? Just leave him in there to mop up at that point. He's obviously got some things to work on.

Let me try to feel badly for a guy making $6 million this year and will need a ski mask to pick up his check this week.......sorry, not working. However, booing him during introductions is a bit harsh I must admit.

I can see how fans/front office is surprised by his lack of success so far. Who knew a guy who almost ends up in foul territory during his follow through would struggle with control. I'm not sure when Atlanta cheered harder, when Gonzalez or William Tecumseh Sherman left town.

I just wish the fat cats on Wall Street would have a crowd of people booing them this loudly every time they left work.

What I really didn't get was why did Trembley take him out of the game after the bases were clear and there were two outs? What's the deal w/ that? Just leave him in there to mop up at that point. He's obviously got some things to work on.

I think he didn't want him throwing any more pitches. With his command he didn't want him out there for lord knows how much longer. That would be my guess.

See, I think after the past two appearances, the boos could be justified. The booing was fairly sporadic anyway; the big boos didn't come until he started throwing ball-after-ball, and it was growing with each one. So it isn't as though the crowd was looking to actively boo him; he earned most of what he got in my opinion. At least until the cheering.

I think he might have been making a point about the performance. Maybe that he isn't just going to allow a poor performance to continue when there's still a chance at a win.

A statement like that would actually be a point in his favor, I think.

Just saying, it's a difference of opinion. If it were up to me, I would have given Gonzalez a night off after laboring through the 9th inning last night.

When Gonzalez came out of the bullpen, I turned to my buddy and said, "This guy doesn't have the foggiest clue where it's going right now. This is a bad idea."

I totally agree that this is on DT, but Gonzalez got the brunt of the criticism from the fans. At least that is how I would interpret it. Imagine you go to a new job as the premier salesman in an office with a reputation and salary of a guy who could ahem close the sales. A couple slip through your fingers and within your first 4 days of work all the investors are calling for your head. Do you a: think the investors are a bunch of dbags, or b: think that since you've given your best when called upon to close the sale but it just hasn't worked out that the investors have every right to give up on you?

Can anyone tell me what good it does to boo your own team when they're doing their best? Does anyone honestly believe that these guys don't care about winning? Boo someone that isn't giving their all.

I don't think there is any justification DT can have for putting Gonzalez out there, but he didn't throw the game on purpose so I think the fans that booed are wrong.

See, I think after the past two appearances, the boos could be justified. The booing was fairly sporadic anyway; the big boos didn't come until he started throwing ball-after-ball, and it was growing with each one. So it isn't as though the crowd was looking to actively boo him; he earned most of what he got in my opinion. At least until the cheering.

I know he struggled but one actual blown save doesn't merit boos before the guys first home game. He is an important part of the team. The booing wasn't real loud before the game but it was noticeable.

I totally agree that this is on DT, but Gonzalez got the brunt of the criticism from the fans. At least that is how I would interpret it. Imagine you go to a new job as the premier salesman in an office with a reputation and salary of a guy who could ahem close the sales. A couple slip through your fingers and within your first 4 days of work all the investors are calling for your head. Do you a: think the investors are a bunch of dbags, or b: think that since you've given your best when called upon to close the sale but it just hasn't worked out that the investors have every right to give up on you?

Can anyone tell me what good it does to boo your own team when they're doing their best? Does anyone honestly believe that these guys don't care about winning? Boo someone that isn't giving their all.

I don't think there is any justification DT can have for putting Gonzalez out there, but he didn't throw the game on purpose so I think the fans that booed are wrong.

Eh, difference of opinion, that's all. I get what you're saying... and I honestly used to be right there with you. But that's changed for me over the course of the past decade.

Effort is assumed. We've been cheering effort for like 12 years now. It's time to see some sort of results on top of the effort. This isn't little league where everyone gets to bat, nobody strikes out, and everyone wins.

I get that you're not going to win them all, that's the nature of baseball. But when you're in a position to do so late in the game, effort's not enough. Getting the job done is enough.

Archived