I like the booing

Skeletor

Eh, difference of opinion, that's all. I get what you're saying... and I honestly used to be right there with you. But that's changed for me over the course of the past decade.

Effort is assumed. We've been cheering effort for like 12 years now. It's time to see some sort of results on top of the effort. This isn't little league where everyone gets to bat, nobody strikes out, and everyone wins.

I get that you're not going to win them all, that's the nature of baseball. But when you're in a position to do so late in the game, effort's not enough. Getting the job done is enough.

Well said Hank. What I don't get, as a Steeler fan, is how the same fans that are rabid and wouldn't stand for this nonsense for 2 weeks during football season are still ok with this crap 12 years later come baseball season.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well said Hank. What I don't get, as a Steeler fan, is how the same fans that are rabid and wouldn't stand for this nonsense for 2 weeks during football season are still ok with this crap 12 years later come baseball season.

Different fans, different sport, different mindset.

The biggest problem for baseball is that a lot of people have football mindsets. I honestly believe that people who are looking for a pound of flesh everytime the team loses have that thought process because of the significance of every NFL/NCAA football game. Four or five baseball games aren't necessarily going to be an indicator of how the rest of the season is going to go.

That said, whenever you have a division opponent down in the 9th inning, that's an important game to put away. Gonzalez has delivered two of our three losses and has looked horrible in doing so. If he came out and someone blooped a single then hit a two run home run off him, okay. Sometimes baseball happens. But the inability to throw the ball over the plate is inexcusable to me.

Eh, difference of opinion, that's all. I get what you're saying... and I honestly used to be right there with you. But that's changed for me over the course of the past decade.

Effort is assumed. We've been cheering effort for like 12 years now. It's time to see some sort of results on top of the effort. This isn't little league where everyone gets to bat, nobody strikes out, and everyone wins.

I get that you're not going to win them all, that's the nature of baseball. But when you're in a position to do so late in the game, effort's not enough. Getting the job done is enough.

Agreed. I think we can assume that you're going to give a days work for a days pay, but that never happens in any profession. I know I spend way too many company minutes reading posts here. If I'm not giving my best effort and my boss knows it I expect to be yelled at. By the same token if I'm doing my best and still get yelled at it just pisses me off. Now if my performance is horrible over a period of time, then I have to be honest and expect to be fired.

I feel like if a player is giving his best effort he deserves to be treated with a modicum of respect. If he sucks for a while and is still in his position, his manager is at fault, just like my manager would be at fault for keeping me in a position I am not fulfilling.

Again, DT deserves criticism, but the boos were misdirected IMO. I guess the bottom line is that I'm glad we have enough people that care to even have this discussion. :)

I know he struggled but one actual blown save doesn't merit boos before the guys first home game. He is an important part of the team. The booing wasn't real loud before the game but it was noticeable.

Two blown saves. I don't give him credit for last night as a save.

I honestly believe that people who are looking for a pound of flesh everytime the team loses have that thought process because of the significance of every NFL/NCAA football game.

Did you just go Shylock on us??:laughlol: You would never find such sophistication on a MFY's board. Stupid knuckle draggers.

Two blown saves. I don't give him credit for last night as a save.

Making people nervous isn't a blown save though. I don't give him alot of credit but we did win the game. Orioles fans had a chance to make a good first impression which certainly would not of hurt the situation. Look I don't feel sorry for him, this is the how the business works. I think supporting the guy today before he took the field would of said alot.

Although we as fans don't go to the Yard in the 3 million person range anymore (there's a reason for that, O's FO), when we do show up we need to show that we're not happy with the losing.

When they play like ****, boo them. When you leave a closer in to give up the tying run and then the go ahead run when he obviously doesn't have it, boo Trembley. When Izturis is facing a wild pitcher and fouls out on the first pitch, boo him. When the O's have runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and can't score, boo them. And then don't go back anymore.

I've reached a breaking point. This is my last year of watching ****ty baseball.

Russ, I think your Uncle Eddie's cooking up some Helper. But seriously, I started telling myself this every year starting with the 1999 season. Every year I still say: "I'm done! No more." Heck, I even moved to Florida... only to discover MLB.TV! Neat. I could conceivably watch the O's play from Uzbekistan. Anyway... Gonzo gonna turn it around... And what about my boii Atkins! Where be da Atkins haters?

Anybody who buys a ticket has every right to boo all they want.

Phillies fans have been proving this for years. It's sad to see Oriole fans acting that way. Yeah, it's somebody else's fault, the booing was deserved because of blah-blah-blah. It's still ugly and is not how Oriole fans acted before, even back when the team was lousy before they got good the first time. When guys wearing a Baltimore uniform are doing lousy, you shout encouragement and pray, you don't act like a goon. My fear is that, by the time the team gets good again, the general behavior of the fanbase will have eroded to the kind of crappy behavior you see elsewhere. Then, the press can quit talking about how the Oriole teams are lousy after a long tradition of being good, and can instead say the same thing about fan behavior. I hope this was a 1-time aberration, like the time when O's fans cheered when Mickey Mantle got hurt climbing the fence. It could well be just an aberration. I certainly hope so anyway...

I hope this was a 1-time aberration, like the time when O's fans cheered when Mickey Mantle got hurt climbing the fence. It could well be just an aberration. I certainly hope so anyway...

I'm betting more on selective memory on your part. And that's not meant as any offense.

I guarantee there have been plenty of other situations where Orioles fans have cheered an injury, or booed their own player. They might be few and far between, reserved for specific confluences of circumstances, but that makes them neither aberrations nor regular occurrences.

In fact, I think this IS an "aberration", in the sense that the circumstances combined for these fans and this player to create the situation. I have a feeling he'll be booed in his next appearance, and in any subsequent appearance until he turns things around. But it will only be him.

But even so, this isn't the time for romanticized recollections, because they almost always turn out inaccurate at best.

Phillies fans have been proving this for years. It's sad to see Oriole fans acting that way. Yeah, it's somebody else's fault, the booing was deserved because of blah-blah-blah. It's still ugly and is not how Oriole fans acted before, even back when the team was lousy before they got good the first time. When guys wearing a Baltimore uniform are doing lousy, you shout encouragement and pray, you don't act like a goon. My fear is that, by the time the team gets good again, the general behavior of the fanbase will have eroded to the kind of crappy behavior you see elsewhere. Then, the press can quit talking about how the Oriole teams are lousy after a long tradition of being good, and can instead say the same thing about fan behavior. I hope this was a 1-time aberration, like the time when O's fans cheered when Mickey Mantle got hurt climbing the fence. It could well be just an aberration. I certainly hope so anyway...

As another poster stated I think booing poor performance shows that fans still care. Was it OK to boo Mike when he was introduced during pregame ceremonies or before he came out to pitch? NO. Is it OK for someone to boo a player when he sucks it up 3 out of 3 chances he is given? HELL YEAH! I was booing Mike G as loudly as I could, as a matter of fact, after he gave up the lead I walked out of the stadium out of disgust after watching his crap performance the past three games. Does my booing mean I am a bad fan, absolutely NOT. I applaud, clap, get involved with as much of the fan experience as I can and POSITIVELY at that. I would rather boo a player who is performing terribly than, chant "F" the Yankees in the bathroom with a bunch of little kids standing in line with their Dad. Those are the kind of people that make Baltimore Fan's look Bush League! Keep on booing. And as a side note, I recall several times during the 90's and late 00's when players were booed for bad performance.

There's been plenty of booing in Baltimore over the last few years. It's been at M&T Bank stadium however and not at Camden Yards. Mostly because there isn't a lot of fan passion or fans for that matter at the Yard.

Fans have booed Kyle Boller's injury, Brian Billick's offense and even a half-time show.

I sat on my hands when Gonzalez was introduced.

Your damned skippy I booed, and booed until my throat was raw, during his "let's see how some napalm will work on this fire" routine.

If he pulls this stunt again, I will have no choice but to boo again.

I'm betting more on selective memory on your part. And that's not meant as any offense.

I guarantee there have been plenty of other situations where Orioles fans have cheered an injury, or booed their own player. They might be few and far between, reserved for specific confluences of circumstances, but that makes them neither aberrations nor regular occurrences.

I'm not saying nobody ever booed, there certainly are a smattering of jerks who boo. But I never ever heard anything like today.

But even so, this isn't the time for romanticized recollections...

No, you've got that backwards. When things suck is *exactly* the right time for remembering how you're supposed to act. This is the time it is needed most. It's easy to act right when you sweep the MFY's. It's when things suck that people need to remember what's important. The last thing we need is a lot of lame BS about how lousy fan behavior is somehow good because it shows passion, or some similar crap...

Archived