I like the booing

Skeletor

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I realize it's early in the season, etc... but there are plenty of good reasons Trembley could have given the media for not putting Gonzalez out there today, and nobody would have even blinked or thought about it twice.
And if they would have, who cares?

End of the day, JJ was unhittable today and even if Gonzo was pitching well, JJ should have stayed in, especially against the bottom of the order.

How about adding to the misery with these tidbits:

1) No days off for a while.

2) West coast trip coming up.

3) 12 straight games against Bos and NY coming up.

4) Bullpen already being overworked and with no days off anytime soon, this could be a real problem very quickly...especially since you have to assume DH isn't going to go really deep tomorrow...Hope he gets into the 6th inning...anything more than that is a bonus.

That's my real problem. Trembley is blowing through these guys arms..just like he did last year, and the year prior. He has a penchant for doing it.

Use your relievers for more innings, not more outings.

Maybe there's one positive way to look at this season so far. We would 3-1 right now if we even had a remotely decent closer and we'd all be excited as can be.

The more I keep thinking about it the more I keep thinking, Gonzalez is pretty much the sole reason I'm down on this season so far.

It is really only him.

While the offense hasn't looked great, it's been solid. The starters have been impressive, and the bullpen (sans Gonzalez) has been fantastic.

The Orioles have had 4 one-run games. They have been in every single game so far.

There are a lot of positives in this first week. They're just drastically overshadowed by the negative.

That's my real problem. Trembley is blowing through these guys arms..just like he did last year, and the year prior. He has a penchant for doing it.

Use your relievers for more innings, not more outings.

Yep....JJ should have been able to at least start the ninth and see what happens.

How about adding to the misery with these tidbits:

1) No days off for a while.

2) West coast trip coming up.

3) 12 straight games against Bos and NY coming up.

4) Bullpen already being overworked and with no days off anytime soon, this could be a real problem very quickly...especially since you have to assume DH isn't going to go really deep tomorrow...Hope he gets into the 6th inning...anything more than that is a bonus.

The schedule is a joke. 16 straight games to start the year is a competitve disadvantage. Off days are very important. We know why Berken is here.

He blew through the 8th inning on like 9 pitches and was in the mid 90's with his fastball.

I know that. It is real simple if we don't have a closer who can get the job done Trembley will be an idiot. In 2007 Ray and Baez struggled and Perlozzo was a moron. In 1997 Davey was a genuis when Myers and Benitez were unhittable. When Benitez was brutal in the ALCS Davey wasn't as smart. I have yet to meet a good manager with a bad back end of the bullpen.

I was sitting up in Section 346. Shivering.

I watched Bergesen struggle and work through it. I watched the teams go back and forth all day.

I watched Pie score the go-ahead run in the bottom of the eighth when I was SURE Windmill Juan was sending him to his fate.

I watched Dave Trembley take out three different pitchers who were pitching well because of his bullpen fetish.

I watched Mike Gonzalez enter the game. A pitcher who looked terrible in his two appearances. A pitcher who should not have been allowed in the game as a "closer" short of a three-run lead, if they wanted to "build his confidence". A pitcher who my father spent the whole afternoon making "I REALLY hope we don't see Gonzalez today"-type comments.

I watched that pitcher throw six straight balls, followed by a double to the right-center gap, followed by a second run.

So, yes, I booed. I didn't cheer when he was taken out because I consider that an awful thing to do for a fan. But booing is perfectly acceptable.

It wasn't just for Gonzalez. It was for the move by Trembley. It was the knowledge that there was no chance the team was coming back after that. It was for the fact that we've been told that this season is supposed to actually matter yet we're already forcing chances for pitchers who should already be pitching their way out of a job.

Do I think any of it matters right now? Not really. Gonzalez will either turn things around and earn cheers, or he'll continue down his present path and lose his job soon enough. Chances are if it takes too long for Trembley to make that decision, it could end up a factor in his future employment as well, though I doubt he'll let things get to that point. The team will figure out a way to deal with Gonzalez on the mound or they will lose a lot of games.

But as a fan, the only way to directly show disapproval to the players is by booing. They rarely read Internet comments, and media appearances are screened, so this is the method used to reach them. If some people can't handle that, oh well.

When it goes beyond disapproval into actually cheering the removal (or injury) of a player, that's when it gets bad. Booing, however, is fine.

I was sitting up in Section 346. Shivering.

I watched Bergesen struggle and work through it. I watched the teams go back and forth all day.

I watched Pie score the go-ahead run in the bottom of the eighth when I was SURE Windmill Juan was sending him to his fate.

I watched Dave Trembley take out three different pitchers who were pitching well because of his bullpen fetish.

I watched Mike Gonzalez enter the game. A pitcher who looked terrible in his two appearances. A pitcher who should not have been allowed in the game as a "closer" short of a three-run lead, if they wanted to "build his confidence". A pitcher who my father spent the whole afternoon making "I REALLY hope we don't see Gonzalez today"-type comments.

I watched that pitcher throw six straight balls, followed by a double to the right-center gap, followed by a second run.

So, yes, I booed. I didn't cheer when he was taken out because I consider that an awful thing to do for a fan. But booing is perfectly acceptable.

It wasn't just for Gonzalez. It was for the move by Trembley. It was the knowledge that there was no chance the team was coming back after that. It was for the fact that we've been told that this season is supposed to actually matter yet we're already forcing chances for pitchers who should already be pitching their way out of a job.

Do I think any of it matters right now? Not really. Gonzalez will either turn things around and earn cheers, or he'll continue down his present path and lose his job soon enough. Chances are if it takes too long for Trembley to make that decision, it could end up a factor in his future employment as well, though I doubt he'll let things get to that point. The team will figure out a way to deal with Gonzalez on the mound or they will lose a lot of games.

But as a fan, the only way to directly show disapproval to the players is by booing. They rarely read Internet comments, and media appearances are screened, so this is the method used to reach them. If some people can't handle that, oh well.

When it goes beyond disapproval into actually cheering the removal (or injury) of a player, that's when it gets bad. Booing, however, is fine.

Did you boo during the intro's or when he came out of the bullpen?

It is not a matter of logic. He should not have been emotionally abused by some of the fans in his first ever appearance at OPACY. It was morally wrong to treat him like that.

He should have been welcomed, regardless of his performance. That would have gone a lot further toward helping him to improve his future performances. As it is, the way he was treated may only make it harder for him to take the mound at OPACY and close games.

Those who claim that they were entitled to unload a decade's worth of their frustration on this poor man are full of crap. They are not entitled to a whipping boy.

Let's not overstate it.

I thought the booing was in poor taste, at least until he allowed the runs in. But morally wrong?

Save that outrage for guys like Pol Pot, Stalin, and Pauly Shore.

I know that. It is real simple if we don't have a closer who can get the job done Trembley will be an idiot. In 2007 Ray and Baez struggled and Perlozzo was a moron. In 1997 Davey was a genuis when Myers and Benitez were unhittable. When Benitez was brutal in the ALCS Davey wasn't as smart. I have yet to meet a good manager with a bad back end of the bullpen.

Just saying, it's a difference of opinion. If it were up to me, I would have given Gonzalez a night off after laboring through the 9th inning last night.

When Gonzalez came out of the bullpen, I turned to my buddy and said, "This guy doesn't have the foggiest clue where it's going right now. This is a bad idea."

You don't remember fans cheering Boller's injury in 2005?

In fairness to Baltimore (though this can be a low-brow town), that was a vocal, small, select group at the stadium, most of whom got shouted at by the rest of the fans.

It wasn't even clse to a majority of the M&T crowd.

Plus, Boller is marrying Carrie Prejean, so as I have it,

Boller 1, Baltimore hillbillies - 0.

Archived