MacPhail puts hitters on notice

clapdiddy

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/05/macphail_puts_hitters_on_notic.html

"There is going to come a time where we’re going to be obligated to keep making changes in terms of offensive personnel and they’re going to get the opportunity to head to [Triple-A] Norfolk and hone their swings because they’re not doing anything to help us now," said MacPhail. "I would say there isn’t a great deal of time left before they have to start doing more than what they’re doing now. I’m not staying with them forever. It’s not a suicide pact. They either have to start performing or they’ll go to Norfolk."
"The offense has been weak and I think the numbers will bear that out," MacPhail said. "We have some guys who are just, to put a kind word to it, underperforming and we’ve ended up having to push some people toward some roles that they are probably not ready for. While you can give them some allowance for the quality of pitching that we’ve faced, our patience isn’t inexhaustible."
"Sometimes you have to take in account the other half of the equation which is the other guy on the mound, but still, we’re not producing," he said. "If we’re going to have to rely on our pitchers to pitch a shutout to win a game, we’re in for a long season. There will come a time where really, sometimes you have to make a change for the sake of change if you’re not getting performance at this level. "

I can't get this link, it is blocked at my office. What's the gist?

Selected quotes...

"There is going to come a time where we’re going to be obligated to keep making changes in terms of offensive personnel and they’re going to get the opportunity to head to [Triple-A] Norfolk and hone their swings because they’re not doing anything to help us now," said MacPhail. "I would say there isn’t a great deal of time left before they have to start doing more than what they’re doing now. I’m not staying with them forever. It’s not a suicide pact. They either have to start performing or they’ll go to Norfolk."

"Sometimes you have to take in account the other half of the equation which is the other guy on the mound, but still, we’re not producing," he said. "If we’re going to have to rely on our pitchers to pitch a shutout to win a game, we’re in for a long season. There will come a time where really, sometimes you have to make a change for the sake of change if you’re not getting performance at this level. "

I wonder how Luke, Lugo, etc might feel when they find out they're all heading to Norfolk.

Veteran: "I'm a veteran and you're sending me to Norfolk!?"

Manager: "Good! I like to see that energy! Only problem is, I didn't send you to Norfolk. Somebody's been playing a prank on you."

Seems like a great idea and all, but who are they going to bring up?

There really isn't anybody to bring up, however, I wouldn't let that stop me from shipping a few of these guys to AAA if they don't start hitting.

Archived