Keith Law on Taillon/Orioles

Yep-and it sounds like they will. The Pirates are improving and I think this year they are going to try and prove they have a new approach.

Got a link for this statement? The buzz out there, as indicated by Law in the chat, is that the Bucs go with a hitter or a college arm.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everyone needs to get a reality check. If the consensus is he is the next Strasburg, then there is no way he drops into our arms at #3. Machado will be our pick:)

Who said anything about being the next Strasburg? The risk profile between Strasburg andf Taillon is totally different. Strasburg was an advanced college arm essentially ready to pitch in MLB immediately. Apples and oranges my friend. Taillon to the O's hinges on the Bucs who appear focused on Machado or a college arm.

Who said anything about being the next Strasburg? The risk profile between Strasburg andf Taillon is totally different. Strasburg was an advanced college arm essentially ready to pitch in MLB immediately. Apples and oranges my friend. Taillon to the O's hinges on the Bucs who appear focused on Machado or a college arm.

Technically, if you want to compare them both when they came out of HS, Taillon is better. Strasburg didn't get really great until he got to college and lost a lot of weight.

Technically, if you want to compare them both when they came out of HS, Taillon is better. Strasburg didn't get really great until he got to college and lost a lot of weight.

I agree that Taillon is the better prospect coming out of HS, but so is a guy like Hobgood. However, there is no way that you can extrapolate anything from that fact. It remains apple and oranges; There is no consensus, heck I'm not aware of any single expert declaring Taillon as the next Strasburg.

Ha, that's true. Was Strasburg even drafted out of HS? I can't find any mention of it. The Baseball Cube is pretty good about noting the HS draft status of college players, but it only shows Strasburg being drafted in 09.

Ha, that's true. Was Strasburg even drafted out of HS? I can't find any mention of it. The Baseball Cube is pretty good about noting the HS draft status of college players, but it only shows Strasburg being drafted in 09.

Strasburg was not drafted out of high school, from MLB.com article:

Strasburg was a three-year varsity star at West Hills High School in Santee, Calif. During his senior season, Strasburg finished with a 1.68 ERA, struck out 74 batters in 62 1/3 innings and tossed seven complete games.

Still, Strasburg was not drafted out of high school. Asked what he had to do to get where he is now, Strasburg said: "I had to get tougher both mentally and physically. It came down to, if you want something bad enough, you have to go out and get it."

source

If he got an MLB contract he would have to be on the team by 2014 right?

If he signs before August 15th, he would have four option years starting in 2010, thus he would be out of options starting in 2014. If he signs around August 15th, his option in 2010 wouldnt count and he would start with four option years in 2011, thus giving him until 2015 to make the majors. Of course, if he isnt ready within 2-3 years than something went wrong.

Right. It would most likely be a contract that begins 2011, with 11, 12 and 13 being three option years. He'd need to be on the 25-man come 2014 (which is definitely possible).

Not quite.

He will have four option years if necessary. As I alluded to in my earlier post, he will have four option years starting this year if he signs before August 15th (really August 10th) because he will be in the minors for more than 20 days, but if he signs between the 10th and 15th (like Matusz) and is assigned to Bluefield, their season ends by approx August 30th so there wouldnt be 20 days spend in the minors thus the option wouldnt be used.

http://www.click2houston.com/video/23424854/index.html

Profile on him by the Houston media. Seems pretty grounded in the interview.

I'd like to see what Stotle or someone thinks of his mechanics...

Great link. Geez, talk about a smart family!!! :eektf: I like the kid more and more everyday. I really can't wait for the draft to get here to add some more talent to the system.

If he signs before August 15th, he would have four option years starting in 2010, thus he would be out of options starting in 2014. If he signs around August 15th, his option in 2010 wouldnt count and he would start with four option years in 2011, thus giving him until 2015 to make the majors. Of course, if he isnt ready within 2-3 years than something went wrong.

This is a new wrinkle to me, but you are The Man in these matters, so I'm sure that it's correct.

This would mean that the club has an incentive to drag out negotiations until the very end. (And conversely, the player and his agent have an incentive to sign earlier).

http://www.click2houston.com/video/23424854/index.html

Profile on him by the Houston media. Seems pretty grounded in the interview.

I'd like to see what Stotle or someone thinks of his mechanics...

I highly recommend this video. He seems to be a genuinely good kid. And whether he realizes it or not, he also talks as if he intends to be a pro soon.

Also some good video of a very nice, smooth delivery, without undue effort.

Plus rep for this!

EDIT: I also note that he still has a little room to fill out in his upper body.

Serious man-crush developing...

His character sounds like he'd fit right in with a lot of the young guys we've been drafting/developing as of late. The talent is there. Good amount of projection, too. I'd be extremely happy with the pick.

Archived