2011 Draft Chat...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Corner Infield

Best Player: Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice, .394/.530/.801. I wanted to start with the likely 2011 #1 overall pick, who followed up the best freshman season in Rice history (.388/.461/.702), with probably the best offensive season the school has ever seen. A very good defender and good baserunner, Rendon does not have a discernible hole in his game. His 21.5 BB% is more reflective of the fear he strikes in opposing teams, and rightfully so. Rendon is worthy of Orioles fans to begin rooting against their team.

Tough to root against the O's, but, I could learn to do it... Just for this year... :D

Corner Infield

Best Player: Anthony Rendon, 3B, Rice, .394/.530/.801. I wanted to start with the likely 2011 #1 overall pick, who followed up the best freshman season in Rice history (.388/.461/.702), with probably the best offensive season the school has ever seen. A very good defender and good baserunner, Rendon does not have a discernible hole in his game. His 21.5 BB% is more reflective of the fear he strikes in opposing teams, and rightfully so. Rendon is worthy of Orioles fans to begin rooting against their team.

Tough to root against the O's, but, I could learn to do it... Just for this year... :D

I will bet that the Orioles will not finish last. Right now we are six games ahead of the next worst team. The Orioles will start to play better ball soon and will end up with the 3rd or 4th pick.

I will bet that the Orioles will not finish last. Right now we are six games ahead of the next worst team. The Orioles will start to play better ball soon and will end up with the 3rd or 4th pick.

Sad to say, but I truly hope not.

The O's have been the "bridesmaid" far too long, it's time to get the prize.

Sad to say, but I truly hope not.

The O's have been the "bridesmaid" far too long, it's time to get the prize.

I agree, we have sucked for so long, but we have never sucked bad enough to get the #1 overall pick in the entire 13 or 14 year streak.....amazing.....

Just think of the names we have missed because probably 15 total wins over the last Longoria (Rowell over Lincecum) Price, Alvarez, Strasburg, and Harper. We need a young impact bat in the worst way. Rendon to us is what Longoria is to the Rays. An impact bat in the middle of the lineup. I know its a few years away but if we do get lucky enough to draft Rendon, what do we do with Bell? I guess he would play 3B until Rendon is ready and maybe he moves to 1B? Does he have the power to man 1B?

Just think of the names we have missed because probably 15 total wins over the last Longoria (Rowell over Lincecum) Price, Alvarez, Strasburg, and Harper. We need a young impact bat in the worst way. Rendon to us is what Longoria is to the Rays. An impact bat in the middle of the lineup. I know its a few years away but if we do get lucky enough to draft Rendon, what do we do with Bell? I guess he would play 3B until Rendon is ready and maybe he moves to 1B? Does he have the power to man 1B?

Yes, he has the power, but will it translate?

I know its a few years away but if we do get lucky enough to draft Rendon, what do we do with Bell? I guess he would play 3B until Rendon is ready and maybe he moves to 1B? Does he have the power to man 1B?

This isn't a problem.

Rendon won't be showing up in Baltimore until 2012 at the earliest. That gives Bell a season and a half from today to establish himself, and it gives the O's at least half a season, plus an offseason, to work him into 1B if they get Rendon.

My prediction is that by then Bell will no longer be a switch hitter, and will be hitting exclusively from the left side, where he has plenty of power.

This isn't a problem.

Rendon won't be showing up in Baltimore until 2012 at the earliest. That gives Bell a season and a half from today to establish himself, and it gives the O's at least half a season, plus an offseason, to work him into 1B if they get Rendon.

My prediction is that by then Bell will no longer be a switch hitter, and will be hitting exclusively from the left side, where he has plenty of power.

If we get Rendon, move Bell to first. Rendon is a plus defender while Bell is just average. We need a power hitting 1b, maybe Bell is that guy.

If we get Rendon, move Bell to first. Rendon is a plus defender while Bell is just average. We need a power hitting 1b, maybe Bell is that guy.

Is Rendon really a plus defender? Or is he really above average? Bell was rated the best defensive 3Bman in 09 for his league(with the Dodger system). That said, see how it plays out, let Bell have the position at first, then if/when Rendon pushes the issue, evaluate the situation. Bell is still capable of being a 25-30 HR guy with a decent average and good OBP.

Regardless, we will deal with it if/when it comes up.....

What would be most interesting with an infield of Rendon, Machado, Hoes and Bell, is that all 4 of these guys are good OBP hitters. And so is Wieters, Markakis and Reimold. Only Pie and Jones would be non-OBP guys which would be pretty nice.....

Is Rendon really a plus defender? Or is he really above average? Bell was rated the best defensive 3Bman in 09 for his league(with the Dodger system). That said, see how it plays out, let Bell have the position at first, then if/when Rendon pushes the issue, evaluate the situation. Bell is still capable of being a 25-30 HR guy with a decent average and good OBP.

Regardless, we will deal with it if/when it comes up.....

What would be most interesting with an infield of Rendon, Machado, Hoes and Bell, is that all 4 of these guys are good OBP hitters. And so is Wieters, Markakis and Reimold. Only Pie and Jones would be non-OBP guys which would be pretty nice.....

Per Keith Law "Rendon is the star attraction here, with a great short stroke with good follow through, outstanding plate discipline and plus defense at third."

I've heard his swing compared to Hank Aaron, thats pretty high praise.

Archived