When (If EVER) Will The Orioles Get a Hitter Like This?

Old#5fan

:confused:

I also find it rather amusing that OF5 is using All-Star appearances as an objective method of evaluating players. Sometimes the fans get it right ... but sometimes, it's just a glorified popularity contest.

Case in point:

Mark Teixeira has ~931k votes and Miguel Cabrera has ~660k. Which isn't really that big of a deal until you actually look at how they've performed this year.

Teixeira: .229 AVG, .738 OPS, 9 HRs, 37 RBIs

Cabrera: .330 AVG, 1.058 OPS, 19 HRs, 56 RBIs

Apparently that means Teixeira is an elite 1b, while Cabrera is not. Who knew!

Uh, you do realize that past performance is considered don't you?:confused::confused: Also, if you think Texeira's numbers will be that bad by the end of the season you better think again or are definitely no student of the game!:eek::scratchchinhmm:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL..and the criteria changes again!

Unreal.

Not really, I don't know about you but I want a player who performs when it actually means something not a glorified stats padder who didnt perform until the season was for all practical purposes over and done with. If you don't understand that than I sure wouldn't want you running a baseball team.

If you really want a player who would only perform when his team was totally eliminated from contention than you sure have some low standards in players.:eek::eektf:

I also find it rather amusing that OF5 is using All-Star appearances as an objective method of evaluating players. Sometimes the fans get it right ... but sometimes, it's just a glorified popularity contest.

Case in point:

Mark Teixeira has ~931k votes and Miguel Cabrera has ~660k. Which isn't really that big of a deal until you actually look at how they've performed this year.

Teixeira: .229 AVG, .738 OPS, 9 HRs, 37 RBIs

Cabrera: .330 AVG, 1.058 OPS, 19 HRs, 56 RBIs

Apparently that means Teixeira is an elite 1b, while Cabrera is not. Who knew!

You're looking at this all wrong. That means that Cabrera is more likely to get the most important hit in baseball. The one that wins the All-Star game.

Not really, I don't know about you but I want a player who performs when it actually means something not a glorified stats padder who didnt perform until the season was for all practical purposes over and done with. If you don't understand that than I sure wouldn't want you running a baseball team.

If you really want a player who would only perform when his team was totally elilminated from contention than you sure have some low standards in players.:eek::eektf:

LOL...Wow..You must think Ted Williams and Ernie Banks were big stat padders.

Uh, you do realize that past performance is considered don't you?:confused::confused: Also, if you think Texeira's numbers will be that bad by the end of the season you better think again or are definitely no student of the game!:eek::scratchchinhmm:

Past performance?

You mean the past performance that Miguel Cabrera has a higher career BA, OBP, SLG, OPS than Teixeira? Or the .321 career average with RISP compared with .301 for Tex? Or the fact that Cabrera hits better late and close?

You mean that past performance?

Past performance?

You mean the past performance that Miguel Cabrera has a higher career BA, OBP, SLG, OPS than Teixeira? Or the .321 career average with RISP compared with .301 for Tex? Or the fact that Cabrera hits better late and close?

You mean that past performance?

You are putting all your eggs in the offensive basket. Texiera is also a repeated Gold Glove fielder as well. They vote for the best all around player at the position. You act like all Allstar voting fans are stupid. They aren't.

You are putting all your eggs in the offensive basket. Texiera is also a repeated Gold Glove fielder as well. They vote for the best all around player at the position. You act like all Allstar voting fans are stupid. They aren't.

I do not think that defense is a very high consideration for most fans when they are filling out an all star ballot. You are reaching.

You're right, no wonder Griffey (.454) has more votes than players like Prince Fielder (.853), David Ortiz (.869), Troy Tulowitzki (.862), Adrian Beltre (.897), Kevin Youkilis (1.039), Alfonso Soriano (.890), and Ryan Zimmerman (.977). (OPS in parentheses)

I mean, nevermind the fact that the guy took more naps (1) than home runs this year (0). He's retired!

:rofl:

You're right, no wonder Griffey (.454) has more votes than players like Prince Fielder (.853), David Ortiz (.869), Troy Tulowitzki (.862), Adrian Beltre (.897), Kevin Youkilis (1.039), Alfonso Soriano (.890), and Ryan Zimmerman (.977). (OPS in parentheses)

I mean, nevermind the fact that the guy took more naps (1) than home runs this year (0). He's retired!

:rofl:

Clearly they are taking his defense into account. After all, he has won multiple gold gloves. :laughlol:

I'm pretty sure my wife, sister-in-law, and brother-in-law are pretty typical casual fans of the type who probably make up 50% or 75% of All Star voters. They all voted a straight Orioles ticket in the AL, and for whomever had the coolest names in the NL.

The typical All Star voter isn't stupid. They just don't care.

Archived