When (If EVER) Will The Orioles Get a Hitter Like This?

Old#5fan

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you saying you'd take Jose Bautista over Nick Markakis? I'm not trying to misconstrue your words, just looking for some clarification. A simple yes or no will suffice.

This season I would. He has nearly thirty more runs driven in than Markakis of which at least 15 are from homers and didn't require a man on base ahead of him. 30 more rbi might have helped win a lot of those one run game losses.

I don't mean to hitch my wagon to OF5 or anything' date=' but isn't his [b']point that Young and Markakis are essentially a wash and that we'd benefit greatly by Nick NOT being our best bat?[/b]So, to get so in depth comparing the marginal differences between Young and Markakis seems pointless as the bottom line is that they are both good COMPLEMENTARY players, but neither is really capable of being "the man" on a team. I don't think anyone should really be disagreeing with that, right?

Yep. DING DING DING!! WINNER!! You win the prize because you got the point that nearly everyone else has been missing!:clap3:

Oh, how the mighty have fallen...

I think losing makes people (temporarily) dumb.

Oh let's not get carried away here. I merely said he has some semi decent logic. I don't subscribe to what he envisions as a plan (ginormous FA spending and trades that leave our farm system barren) but for some people that's their idea of how to build a team. Not to get political here, but a good example is Republicans/Democrats...both want the best for the country, they just disagree on how to get there.

I'm NOT endorsing his conspiracy theories, thread abandoning/post ignoring, leaps in logic or anything of the sort.

Yep. DING DING DING!! WINNER!! You win the prize because you got the point that nearly everyone else has been missing!:clap3:

I don't think anyone is missing the point, in fact it seems fairly obvious. Markakis wouldn't be the best hitter on a playoff caliber team? Well duh. We're in last place. Any playoff team would be happy to have him starting in the outfield, though, I know that much. I think what people take issue with is that you seem to take shots at our best player when in reality the players you should be disappointed with are Jones, who seemed to be your golden boy up until the season started, and Wieters, who I think we all assumed would do better than this. For whatever reason you've decided Markakis is a problem when in reality he's one of the best things we have going for us.

I don't think anyone is missing the point, in fact it seems fairly obvious. Markakis wouldn't be the best hitter on a playoff caliber team? Well duh. We're in last place. Any playoff team would be happy to have him starting in the outfield, though, I know that much. I think what people take issue with is that you seem to take shots at our best player when in reality the players you should be disappointed with are Jones, who seemed to be your golden boy up until the season started, and Wieters, who I think we all assumed would do better than this. For whatever reason you've decided Markakis is a problem when in reality he's one of the best things we have going for us.

I don't know if the Yankees, Red Sox or Rays would necessarily take Markakis over Swisher, Drew or Zobrist. They are all pretty comparable and not even close to being the best hitters or players on their respective teams.:eek:

Everyone else has been missing this point because your original post doesn't make it (the part about Young and Markakis being a wash).

When (If EVER) Will The Orioles Get a Hitter Like This?

Vladimir Guerrero #27 DH

[2010 Stats]

OR EVEN ONE LIKE THIS?

Michael Young #10 3B

[2010 Stats]

The way you wrote it clearly asks, "when will the Orioles get a hitter like Vlad, or even one like Michael Young?" This of course implies that we don't have a hitter the equivalent of Michael Young.

Nobody is refuting the statement about Markakis being the best hitter on the club not cutting it.

I don't know if the Yankees, Red Sox or Rays would necessarily take Markakis over Swisher, Drew or Zobrist. They are all pretty comparable and not even close to being the best hitters or players on their respective teams.:eek:

So you just proved my point, right? Nick Markakis is comparable to every one of those hitters you just listed. Going by career numbers, the only one of those players who gets on base at a better clip than Markakis is Drew. He's also the only one with a better OPS. Even going with the OldFan gold standard of RBIs, Markakis had more last year than any one of those players. Markakis could certainly start in the outfield for any one of those teams. Like I said, I think everyone here understands that we need better hitters than Markakis. He shouldn't be the best bat in our lineup, we all agree. Who has said otherwise? The point everyone here is trying to make is that Markakis is a very good player and it's pretty ridiculous for you to constantly criticize the lone bright spot in our lineup.

This season I would.

So far, I would probably agree. But we are 64 games in to a 162-game season. As yourself this -- Bautista has hit 18 home runs this year in 64 games. He is 29 years old. He has never hit more than 16 home runs in a season before this year. So, do you think it is likely he is going to hit 45 home runs, as he currently is on pace to do? Or, did he just have a very good start to the season, and is he likely to drop off drastically in the HR department as the year goes along? Meanwhile, his career BA is .238 and he is hitting .232 right now.

Bautista started off the season having a pretty typical year, then from May 3 to June 4 he hit 14 HR in 30 games. So, basically he had one crazy-hot month. In his last 8 games, he has one single in 27 at bats. So, it appears he is coming back to earth now.

Despite Bautista's amazing start with the HRs, I'd still bet that when the year is over, Markakis will have been the better player.

So far, I would probably agree. But we are 64 games in to a 162-game season. As yourself this -- Bautista has hit 18 home runs this year in 64 games. He is 29 years old. He has never hit more than 16 home runs in a season before this year. So, do you think it is likely he is going to hit 45 home runs, as he currently is on pace to do? Or, did he just have a very good start to the season, and is he likely to drop off drastically in the HR department as the year goes along? Meanwhile, his career BA is .238 and he is hitting .232 right now.

Bautista started off the season having a pretty typical year, then from May 3 to June 4 he hit 14 HR in 30 games. So, basically he had one crazy-hot month. In his last 8 games, he has one single in 27 at bats. So, it appears he is coming back to earth now.

Despite Bautista's amazing start with the HRs, I'd still bet that when the year is over, Markakis will have been the better player.

Even if Markakis goes nuts and has a month like Bautista and hits 14 homers I would still rather have had Batista because he did it when his team was in the hunt. If Markakis now does it, it will be meaningless as he didn't do it when it was needed.

Even if Markakis goes nuts and has a month like Bautista and hits 14 homers I would still rather have had Batista because he did it when his team was in the hunt. If Markakis now does it, it will be meaningless as he didn't do it when it was needed.

LOL..and the criteria changes again!

Unreal.

I also find it rather amusing that OF5 is using All-Star appearances as an objective method of evaluating players. Sometimes the fans get it right ... but sometimes, it's just a glorified popularity contest.

Case in point:

Mark Teixeira has ~931k votes and Miguel Cabrera has ~660k. Which isn't really that big of a deal until you actually look at how they've performed this year.

Teixeira: .229 AVG, .738 OPS, 9 HRs, 37 RBIs

Cabrera: .330 AVG, 1.058 OPS, 19 HRs, 56 RBIs

Apparently that means Teixeira is an elite 1b, while Cabrera is not. Who knew!

I also find it rather amusing that OF5 is using All-Star appearances as an objective method of evaluating players. Sometimes the fans get it right ... but sometimes, it's just a glorified popularity contest.

Case in point:

Mark Teixeira has ~931k votes and Miguel Cabrera has ~660k. Which isn't really that big of a deal until you actually look at how they've performed this year.

Teixeira: .229 AVG, .738 OPS, 9 HRs, 37 RBIs

Cabrera: .330 AVG, 1.058 OPS, 19 HRs, 56 RBIs

Apparently that means Teixeira is an elite 1b, while Cabrera is not. Who knew!

Yeah. And based on All Star appearances, Ken Harvey is better than Nick Markakis. This will come as a huge surprise to Ken Harvey.

Archived