Steinbrenner: Torre gone if they lose this series

SteveA

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Torre is fired, I could easily see A-Rod walking, while Clemens may not return, and Rivera and Posada possibly finding other teams.

That would be awesome.

Ah, I would love to see the collapse of the Yankees.

Ah, I would love to see the collapse of the Yankees.

His players are very loyal to Torre for the most part. Steinbrenner should let Torre retire when he's ready. Show the man some respect. He won 4 World Series. What people forget is that he won those championships before they started the huge spending sprees this decade.

He won 4 World Series. What people forget is that he won those championships before they started the huge spending sprees this decade.

Which illustrates two things:

(1) The "crapshoot" nature of the post season. It is the team that plays best that wins, not necessarily the "best" team. The best measure of a team's quality is how many games they win in the regular season.

(2) Stocking a team with very expensive all star caliber players is no guarantee of success. The highest paid players tend to be older, more vulnerable to injuries, and due for an inevitable decline in performance as they age.

Torre is a good manager, but strategy during the game isn't why he's good. There are thousands of people who could do as well, and probably a few who would be better -- though identifying those few would be difficult. Torre's strength is in the handling of his players and his bosses; it's a rare manager who can do both well for as long as he has. It sounds as though Joe's clock is about to run down.

He's still my favorite Cardinals manager and I've liked Joe's management style since I watched him in the opposing dugout during the 1982 NLDS. That doesn't mean that I want Joe back managing in St. Louis; I think that his window of opportunity has passed.

Which illustrates two things:

(1) The "crapshoot" nature of the post season. It is the team that plays best that wins, not necessarily the "best" team. The best measure of a team's quality is how many games they win in the regular season.

(2) Stocking a team with very expensive all star caliber players is no guarantee of success. The highest paid players tend to be older, more vulnerable to injuries, and due for an inevitable decline in performance as they age.

Torre is a good manager, but strategy during the game isn't why he's good. There are thousands of people who could do as well, and probably a few who would be better -- though identifying those few would be difficult. Torre's strength is in the handling of his players and his bosses; it's a rare manager who can do both well for as long as he has. It sounds as though Joe's clock is about to run down.

He's still my favorite Cardinals manager and I've liked Joe's management style since I watched him in the opposing dugout during the 1982 NLDS. That doesn't mean that I want Joe back managing in St. Louis; I think that his window of opportunity has passed.

Well said. I agree that his handling of players seems to be his strength. The fact that the Brosius, Girardi, and O'Neill teams were far more successful than the A-Rod, Sheffield, and Mussina/Johnson/Pavano ones helps confirm this.

I'm just floored that King George thinks it's a good idea to hang Torre out to dry like this (not to mention putting a ridiculously UNNEEDED extra amount of pressure on the players.) Add to that the egotistical entitlement that the fat slob obviously feels... "He'll never umpire a game for us again." :rolleyes:

Uhn huhn.... the emperor IS naked. Ass.

BTW, I beat you to it...:P

And BTW... GO CLEVELAND!!! Much as I like and respect Torre, chaos in Skankee land is ALWAYS a good thing! :P

I like and respect Torre too. Clearly though, George is a lunatic, and if I were Torre, I'd just walk away with my four rings and tell him where he can stick it.

I'm just floored that King George thinks it's a good idea to hang Torre out to dry like this (not to mention putting a ridiculously UNNEEDED extra amount of pressure on the players.) Add to that the egotistical entitlement that the fat slob obviously feels... "He'll never umpire a game for us again." :rolleyes:

Uhn huhn.... the emperor IS naked. Ass.

BTW, I beat you to it...:P

Actually, I beat you to it when I started that thread. I just didn't put a link.;):D

Archived