Who really controls the checkbook?

JTrea81

I see many posters saying that Angelos needs to open up his wallet, but others such as myself think that Andy is totally in charge, as Angelos has distanced himself from the team, and left his checkbook with Andy to use as he saw fit.

This theory comes to mind again from a post in another thread:

One other note, I remember on Garceau's show about 2 months ago that, apparently, Angelos came to MacPhail and was anxious to open the wallet and buy some impact players. MacPhail, not surprisingly, told him to wait another offseason.

So it would seem (if this account is true) that MacPhail is holding this team back despite the resources at his disposal. One can only hope that PGA forces MacPhail to utilize those resources this offseason, or maybe even as soon as July or August, or finds somebody else who will...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My guess is for small stuff, MacPhail has control. Angelos has set a budget and MacPhail works within it (well under I'm guessing).

For a larger move (such as a huge contract or a trade for a player like AGon and Fielder which would require a huge contract extension) Angelos would need to approve.

We get it dude. You want to get all these "premium" free agents when te team is still overall horrible. Andy wants to wait. Tell us something new.

There is far more to the spending notion than simply high priced free agents. Much more money can and should be invested to support the draft, scouting, coaches, player development, international signings, conditioning programs, etc. You don't have to "wait" for that spending.

I posted this in another thread, that this inherently makes no sense as a theory. Angelos still outranks McPhail. If he wants him to spend he can order him to spend. And on the other side, every GM wants to be judged by their results, and many "good GMs" get to appear that way because they have the latitude to spend a bunch of money on top players. There's no rational GM who upon being told "the purse strings are yours!" would voluntarily limit himself and spend on a budget. The GMs who spend on a budget are told to and try to make the best of the situation. If McPhail was told by Peter that he could spend whatever he wanted to make the team better, there's zero reason he wouldn't throw out obscene amounts of money to every big free agent or trade target out there while still building the young core around them. If you want to blame Andy McPhail for being too slow and deliberate in making moves, not a sufficient multi-tasker, or not creative enough in trying to improve our roster with the right talent (on a budget), that's valid. Blaming him for not spending enough money or the organizational dysfunction defies logic. Bottom line is if Andy is not spending money, its because Angelos told him not to.

Blaming him for not spending enough money or the organizational dysfunction defies logic. Bottom line is if Andy is not spending money, its because Angelos told him not to.

It will be interesting to see if your theory holds water when Tony's info comes out...

I suspect you'll find it won't.

There is far more to the spending notion than simply high priced free agents. Much more money can and should be invested to support the draft, scouting, coaches, player development, international signings, conditioning programs, etc. You don't have to "wait" for that spending.

Yeah but lets not kid ourselves. Trea is talking about FAs. And my guess is that is where PA wanted to spend the money as there is virtually nothing in PA's past that says he is willing to open up his checkbook for the very important stuff you mention above.

How do you know Andy sets the budget for these things? All the innuendo going around is that one division doesn't approve of what another is doing and there's a bunch of dysfunction and territorial pissing. It's very likely that Angelos has his guys set in player development, scouting, international, etc., gives them their budget and their own autonomy to do things their way, and when McPhail tries to "infringe" on another division he's seen as sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and is not listened to and he can't really do anything about it because they're Peter's guys. The thought that Andy McPhail has autonomous control of the entire organization is a complete myth, (i.e. the veto of trying to replace the development guy). I have a feeling Tony's expose will shed a lot more light on this dynamic.

How do you know Andy sets the budget for these things? All the innuendo going around is that one division doesn't approve of what another is doing and there's a bunch of dysfunction and territorial pissing. It's very likely that Angelos has his guys set in player development, scouting, international, etc., gives them their budget and their own autonomy to do things their way, and when McPhail tries to "infringe" on another division he's seen as sticking his nose where it doesn't belong and is not listened to and he can't really do anything about it because they're Peter's guys. The thought that Andy McPhail has autonomous control of the entire organization is a complete myth, (i.e. the veto of trying to replace the development guy). I have a feeling Tony's expose will shed a lot more light on this dynamic.

I'm not saying this. I'm saying Peter controls ALL/ALL of the spending at the end of the day and not enough is or hasbeen spent on this team for a LONG time.

All signs indicate that the Orioles have stepped up their spending in many, if not all, of these areas.

But stepped up from what? Count me down as one who thinks all areas still need quite a bit of help.

I'm not saying this. I'm saying Peter controls ALL/ALL of the spending at the end of the day and not enough is or hasbeen spent on this team for a LONG time.

Agreed. I was just saying I don't think you can blame McPhail for the lack of spending on these areas.

I agree. Tough because I don't think there is much media coverage of the changes made/not made in these areas. Maybe there are improvements being made. Maybe there aren't. I honestly don't know. If anyone has read articles about added funding to the developmental side or scouting side I'd be very interested to read them.

I see many posters saying that Angelos needs to open up his wallet, but others such as myself think that Andy is totally in charge, as Angelos has distanced himself from the team, and left his checkbook with Andy to use as he saw fit.

This theory comes to mind again from a post in another thread:

So it would seem (if this account is true) that MacPhail is holding this team back despite the resources at his disposal. One can only hope that PGA forces MacPhail to utilize those resources this offseason, or maybe even as soon as July or August, or finds somebody else who will...

I suspect AM has full authority to do the 2/16 type of deal like Mike Gonz received while PA must approve the type of deals ($100 million Plus) that you day dream about.

Archived