Anybody but Boston

Frobby

With the Evil Empire eliminated, I now turn my sights on the Red Sox. If my dislike of the Yankees is a 10, the Red Sox are at about 9.5. Their payroll is more than double that of any of the three remaining playoff teams, and almost as much as the other three teams combined:

Red Sox $143 mm

Indians $62 mm

Rockies $54 mm

Diamondbacks $52 mm

I'm tired of their annoying fans, and the whole mentality that Boston and New York are the only two teams that matter in baseball. I hope the Indians kick Boston's butts.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Concur. I'll never hate the Sox as much as the Yanks, but they're high on the list. I can't decide if it's more or less annoying that they generally make moves that I'd love to see the Orioles try. And you have to love how 5-6 years ago you'd occasionally see a Sox hat, now you can walk down the street in Boise or Annapolis or Roanoke and see 10 people wearing David Ortiz jerseys. Nothing worse than a bandwagoner.

I'm rooting for the Rockies, but, yea, anyone but Boston. If the Sox win it all I think they should wear pink hats and uniforms as a salute to their "fans."

I sorta liked the BoSox growing up (Dewey Evans was one of my favorite non-Orioles ... untiil he became, briefly, an Oriole), but between Theo, Bill Simmons and the beyond-obnoxious horde of pink cap-wearing bandwagon fans, they've sunk to the Yanks' level in my view. And at least Yanks' fans' sense of entitlement is warranted by history.

Rooting for the Indians to take them behind the proverbial woodshed — and for an eventual Tribe-Rox series. Not only would it put the hurt on Rupert Murdoch, as italianfingers has amply pointed out, but it would set the stage for an endless stream of Rocky Colavito jokes.

You know, guys, none of this Red Sox hatred gets the Orioles any closer to winning games. I'd appreciate it if you'd all direct all this mental energy into making the Orioles better. Thanks. ;)

We have voodoo-telepathy ionic powers sufficient to both root for the Orioles to get better and their enemies to be humiliated. It's not a zero-sum game.

I'm actually very torn about this. On the one hand, I agree that the new-phony-Red-Sox-fans are annoying. On the other hand, I feel solidarity with the real BOS fans, those who are not obnoxious and who (in my experience of bantering with them) feel solidarity with the Orioles. In my experience, for many real BOS fans, the Red Sox and Orioles sorta play tag-team in giving the MFY's fits. I hate to begrudge those guys anything just because the ESPN hype has sold a lot of BOS caps to obnoxious idiots.

Plus, I really think it's a mistake to waste perfectly good MFY-venom on the Red Sox. To me, they're just the Red Sox.

Plus, there's the issue of league-loyalty. I always root for ACC teams vs. other conferences. I always root for AFC teams to beat the NFC. I always root for the AL to beat the NL. And I always root for the AL-East to beat others... with the one exception of guess-who.

So, it is with something of a heavy heart that I do indeed hope CLE wins. But I don't feel especially good about it. I sorta feel like a traitor.

(Just because the terrorists are animals, that doesn't mean we should act the same way. We shouldn't. We should have principles. We should have a code to live by, etc. I know it's not the same thing. But it's ain't exactly not the same thing either. )

By the way, were you guys as appalled as I was to hear so much cheering for Boston at the Angels' stadium during the last game of their divisional series?

It just goes to show how out-of-hand the Red Sox thing has gotten.

Same with the Cubs in Arizona.

I tend to think it's just because the local fans are lame - moreso in AZ than in Anaheim - but I could be wrong.

You know, guys, none of this Red Sox hatred gets the Orioles any closer to winning games. I'd appreciate it if you'd all direct all this mental energy into making the Orioles better. Thanks. ;)

Touche...Dude, I got slammed by boardmates the other night, so I'll leave this one alone. However, I"ll just say this, my non hatred of the Yankees does not apply to the Red Sox. Go Tribe!

Same with the Cubs in Arizona.

I tend to think it's just because the local fans are lame - moreso in AZ than in Anaheim - but I could be wrong.

And the Cubs have been training in Arizona forever, that certainly helps. Oh, and the whole "loveable loser" thing too.

With the Evil Empire eliminated, I now turn my sights on the Red Sox. If my dislike of the Yankees is a 10, the Red Sox are at about 9.5. Their payroll is more than double that of any of the three remaining playoff teams, and almost as much as the other three teams combined:

Red Sox $143 mm

Indians $62 mm

Rockies $54 mm

Diamondbacks $52 mm

I'm tired of their annoying fans, and the whole mentality that Boston and New York are the only two teams that matter in baseball. I hope the Indians kick Boston's butts.

Im with you 100% Frobby!!:)

I disagree. I am rooting hard for the Redsox. Perhaps its my hate for the Yanks, but I just cant hate the Redsox at all. I love the way they play, the way the enjoy the game......no crap limitations on hair and facial hair like the Yanks and Orioles.

they know its about having fun. How can you hate that?

Archived