Boston:

Delcarmen

Lester

Lopez

Papelbon

Pedroia

Youk

Ellsbury

Varitek, DiceK and Okakima have only played for the Red Sox in the majors.

NY:

Chamberlain

Hughes

Pettitte

Rivera

Wang

Veras

Posada

Cano

Jeter

Melky

Shelly

Matsui has only played for the Yankees in the majors.

Not sure how they got Wang though.

It is pretty close.

Good find, it's pretty close, but more Yankees. That's where the myth is different from the truth. One of the things the Yankees are always accused of is "buying everyone", when they have plenty if not more home grown talent than most teams. I'd love to see how many the O's have...hint, hint.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good find, it's pretty close, but more Yankees. That's where the myth is different from the truth. One of the things the Yankees are always accused of is "buying everyone", when they have plenty if not more home grown talent than most teams. I'd love to see how many the O's have...hint, hint.

Well, i think the Yankees have done more in the FA market than Boston and Boston has used their system to make more trades.

So, all in all, i would say Boston has used their system more effectively.

Orioles:

Bedard

DCab

Birkins

Hoey

Liz

Olson

Loewen*

Ray*

Penn*

Fahey

Luis H

Markakis

BRob

Gibbons and Burres only played for us.

* Denotes DL players this year..Penn and Loewen getting very little time.

While Luis Hernandez' only major league action has been for the Orioles, I wouldn't classify him as home grown because he spent 2002-2006 in the Braves system.

But when a player has contributed to as many magical moments as Luis Hernandez he becomes an adopted member of the family. He may not have been drafted as an Oriole, but here's hoping he retires as one.

But when a player has contributed to as many magical moments as Luis Hernandez he becomes an adopted member of the family. He may not have been drafted as an Oriole, but here's hoping he retires as one.

I have the same hope...and hopefully he'll make that decision this off-season. ;)

I think a Lenin-like statue of Luis Hernandez looming over the Inner Harbor would allow me to die a happy man.

That was the general picture I had in my mind. :)

Well that or a Statue of Liberty clone in the Inner Harbor with LH holding up his Glove of Eternal Justice that can catch any ball hit to the left of the pitchers mound.

Not sure how they got Wang though.

The same way that they got Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez and Hidecki Matsui, as amateur free agents from foreign countries that weren't subject to the U.S. amateur draft. The Yankees scouted these players and outbid any other interested teams to sign them. O's could have done the same thing if they'd had the same scouting department and checkbook.

If the Orioles aren't in the playoffs, I don't care about who wins/loses. Yeah I'd rather see the Yanks and Sox lose but I don't watch the games and root against them. At least not after 2004. It's useless and depressing. Watching any of the playoffs just reminds you how far the Orioles are from actually playing in them.

Archived