Narron and Bridwell sign with O's

The Orioles are nearing agreements with two more of their top 10 picks, both high upside high school players that will get above slot deals to join the organization.

Fifth-round pick, shortstop/third baseman Connor Narron and ninth-rounder, right-handed pitcher Parker Bridwell, are expected in Baltimore later this week to take physicals. That is pretty much all that is left before they finalize their deals.

When the two deals are completed, the Orioles will have agreed to terms with 33 of their 49 selections from the June draft, including five of their top 10 and nine of their top 15.

Their top two picks – Florida high school shortstop Manny Machado (1st round, 3rd overall) and UCLA right-handed pitcher Dan Klein (3rd round) remain unsigned. The Orioles will have until midnight on Aug. 16 to come to an agreement or they’ll lose their draft rights.

Orioles Director of Scouting Joe Jordan will be in California this week to scout the Area Code games, and could meet directly with Klein and his representative, John Boggs, along with a couple of other draft picks. Two other unsigned top 10 picks – sixth rounder Dixon Anderson, a right-handed pitcher from U.C. Berkeley, and seventh rounder Matthew Bywater, a left-handed pitcher out of Pepperdine – also hail from California.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/08/narron_bridwell_to_take_physic.html

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any reason why we shouldn't get all of these guys signed, quite honestly.

I was under the impression that Narron was likely going to be a difficult signing, hence his sliding to the 5th round. The fact that we got him, if the above his true, is phenomenal. Definitely need to give credit to both MacPhail and Jordan on that one.

Klein is the most important one now, IMO. If Machado doesn't sign, we still get the compensatory #3B pick in next years draft which could mean Rendon / Harper and Cole. Losing Machado hurts a lot less then Klein, who I really feel will be a stud closer in the future.

I was under the impression that Narron was likely going to be a difficult signing, hence his sliding to the 5th round. The fact that we got him, if the above his true, is phenomenal. Definitely need to give credit to both MacPhail and Jordan on that one.

Klein is the most important one now, IMO. If Machado doesn't sign, we still get the compensatory #3B pick in next years draft which could mean Rendon / Harper and Cole. Losing Machado hurts a lot less then Klein, who I really feel will be a stud closer in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to get these two guys. They were probably the two toughest signs in our top 10. We definitely need to get the other ones done, though.

Seems like we have some potentially very good college arms in the top 10. I'd like to get them all signed.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we get all of our top 10 signed. It was speculated that an Anderson deal was just awaiting overslot approval. I bet Jordan gets him, Klein, and Bywater done while he is out west. No way we don't sign Machado. Getting Urban would just be the cherry on top.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say we get all of our top 10 signed. It was speculated that an Anderson deal was just awaiting overslot approval. I bet Jordan gets him, Klein, and Bywater done while he is out west. No way we don't sign Machado. Getting Urban would just be the cherry on top.

Wow, I knew that Narron was close, but Bridwell came out of left field, I am very excited about that. Bridwell will be a definite asset to our minor league system. You can never have enough projectable pitchers with good stuff already coming out of HS. I agree with you mostly with the exception of Bywater. I am starting to wonder if Bywater is gonna be walked away from. He should already have a deal right now, certainly before these overslotters we just signed. But, OTOH, I can't imagine him getting a better deal next year for 2 reasons, 1 that its a much better draft class so he will be drafted later more than likely and the fact that his value is at its highest right now. He is coming off of a great season, I doubt he can mprove upon that enough to overcome the larger pool of quality college SPs, but thats just me. In the end, I think he gets done though.....

Right now, we still need to sign Anderson, Bywater, Klein, Urban and Robinson......And of course Machado.....

Narron was my favorite pick of the draft, glad we got him signed. He sounds like a tough player. Hopefully he can get a bit of time in Bluefield or somewhere this year.[/]

He is the son of Jerry Narron, former coach with the O's under Johnny Oates and replaced Oates when he was fired, so some confluence of vibes there - karma. I wonder if Buck's hiring had anything to do with that in any way. :scratchchinhmm: Although, Buck replaced Jerry in TX as manager.

Wow! Jerry was the catcher that replaced Thurman Munson the day after Munson's plane went down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Narron

Archived