No Orioles in BA Sally League Top 20

jcarm

Yea, this had to be one of the worst overall years in the organization's recent history.

We have more promise now than say, 2003 or so BUT that promise turned into a lie this season.

Could be wrong, but I doubt we ever had as much depth in young, high upside guys(recently)......There is a lot of unfulfilled potential in our system, luckily as Tony said, for the most part, the tools are still there so there is a decent chance for rebound. I am a bit worried about Hobgood because for him, it doesn't seem like the tools are still there, nor have they been since he was drafted, and Coffey's reports since coming back weren't exactly positive either. Ditto with Tolliver....

I like Townsend, but IMO he doesn't have quite the upside that would make him a top 25 prospect in baseball regardless of injuries. But, then we have guys like Randy Henry and Aaron Wirsch who do have the upside to be one of baseball's better prospects, the issue is getting them on the field for an entire season. Coffey is another one who, if the velo comes back could blossom, as could Martin if the control can improve. He has pretty sick K and GB stats, just need him to throw more strikes.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is getting to be a dissapointing pattern. Looking over the stats-possibly Townsend did not qualify due to not enough plate appearances. I would think that Bundy and Hobgood would have at least been considered. I guess it is apparent that the strengh of our farm system is in the higher leagues and in players that did not qualify for the lower leagues due to not enough time spent in the league.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/league-top-20-prospects/2010/2610727.html

At the beginning of this season, the predominant thinking was that the strength of the system was in the lower levels, particularly the pitching at Delmarva. The starting staff there was said to be gangbusters, and the general belief was that quality pitchers would be left behind in Florida when the teams went north, just because there wasn't enough room for them in the rotation at Delmarva.

Anyone who predicted on April 1 that the Shorebirds would have zero presence on this list would've had a heavy argument on his hands.

This is a big disappointment, if not exactly a surprise.

This is getting to be a dissapointing pattern. Looking over the stats-possibly Townsend did not qualify due to not enough plate appearances. I would think that Bundy and Hobgood would have at least been considered. I guess it is apparent that the strengh of our farm system is in the higher leagues and in players that did not qualify for the lower leagues due to not enough time spent in the league.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/league-top-20-prospects/2010/2610727.html

And by higher league, it is only Bowie. Besides Britton, we have nothing at Norfolk until next season.

It's true BAL has graduated players. But TAM graduated:

Crawford (2003), Baldelli (2003)

Gaudin (2004), Upton (2004), Cantu (2004)

Kazmir (2005), Gomes (2005)

Shields (2006), Young (2006), Zobrist (2006)

Dukes (2007), Sonnanstine (2007)

Longoria (2008)

Price (2009), Niemann (2009)

Brignac (2010), Davis (2010)

Likely: Hellickson (2011), McGee (2011), Jennings (2011)

TAM has maintained a top 5ish farm system for the past five years or so (don't remember BA's rankings with complete clarity) despite consistently graduating strong ML contributors, or at least highly thought of MiL talents. This is what BAL needs to compete against, in addition to worrying about the spending of BOS and NYA. To further dampen the mood, the Yankees had a very strong organizational year from top to bottom, and in particular with regards to international signees.

I agree with the the gist of this, but I still think we should look closer at the exact situation of the Orioles. They graduated at least 6 players to the majors in the past 2 years, including their top pick from 2007 and 2008, then appeared to have a down draft year in 2009. Our 2010 signees all performed well, but didn't get enough playing time to qualify. That's a perfect recipe for a single-year drop.

Now, we can't afford down draft years when we're picking 3rd or 4th every year, so 2009 is inexcusable. But when your best draftees hit the majors with just 1 year in the minors for two straight years, their impact on our farm evaluations is very small in comparison to their impact on our big-league club.

I agree with the the gist of this, but I still think we should look closer at the exact situation of the Orioles. They graduated at least 6 players to the majors in the past 2 years, including their top pick from 2007 and 2008, then appeared to have a down draft year in 2009. Our 2010 signees all performed well, but didn't get enough playing time to qualify. That's a perfect recipe for a single-year drop.

Now, we can't afford down draft years when we're picking 3rd or 4th every year, so 2009 is inexcusable. But when your best draftees hit the majors with just 1 year in the minors for two straight years, their impact on our farm evaluations is very small in comparison to their impact on our big-league club.

To be fair, Longoria/Price both hit the majors with the speed of Wieters/Matusz. I understand what you are saying. Further, Joe Jordan's focus on JuCo and non-1st tier high schoolers may simply mean you get an extra year or two in development as you work for those players to emerge into the talents you hope they will become (which I think is a big part of his strategy -- getting talent before it breaks-out and demands garners the attention of the rest of the league). Time will tell if that approach is enough to keep up with, or maybe surpass, the approach taken by Boston and Tampa in the draft, and New York on the international front.

When I posted this summer that the Orioles lower minors teams weren't cutting it, I was assured that the talent was there but it was diluted because there were 3 short season teams plus Low A Delmarva.Looks like there wasn't that much talent to dilute.

To be honest, I believe we would have had some guys get kudos had it not been for injuries. I'm sure Townsend would have gotten raves somewhere. Maybe even Mychal Givens had he not gotten hurt.And perhaps Coffey, et. al.

Nevertheless it is disturbing to me that the Orioles haven't done better.

Givens and Townsend were not eligible due to games played. BA requires a player to play 1/3 of the league games and 1 at bat per league games.

Thanks for the info.

Townsend's numbers in his limited time at Delmarva were so good that I could certainly see him on the Sally League list if he had been healthy and if Stockstill had kept him there long enough to qualify. But he probably belonged in a more advanced league anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Townsend's numbers in his limited time at Delmarva were so good that I could certainly see him on the Sally League list if he had been healthy and if Stockstill had kept him there long enough to qualify. But he probably belonged in a more advanced league anyway.

It's possible, but keep in mind that the numbers have to coincide with good grades from the evaluators with whom BA is speaking. Stats alone won't land you on these lists.

Archived