Tejada deal up to Angelos

bigbird

Disagree. Santana is the deal breaker. If no Santana, no deal. He's already a proven MLer, extremely young with big game experience.

Wood, Kendrick, Adenhart, Morales, Kotchman, Aybar...whatever, it's basically a pick em. All unproven, all prospects. Santana is the key.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying we shouldn't do the deal unless we're getting both Santana and Wood.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you may see Wood, Santana, Napoli, and Adenhart for Tajada, Conine and MAybe a pitcher like JJ. That fits the 2 25 man requirement. I think you will then possible see a deal for Abreu. If not a deal for a 1b will follow before the deadline.

If they get Wood, I hope they put him at SS right now. Him moving to 3b doesn't make sense to me given Billy Rowell and how fast he is supposed to move through our system.

Honestly Billy Rowell shouldn't even factor into the decision making process at this point. The guy is barely out of high school. When he starts producing at AA, then we'll worry about re-shuffling the line up to make room for him.

That's a problem I'd gladly take, when and if the time comes.

Disagree. Santana is the deal breaker. If no Santana, no deal. He's already a proven MLer, extremely young with big game experience.

Santana's already agreed upon by both teams. It appears Wood vs. Aybar is still an issue. I like Aybar but Wood is a MASHER. You need to hold out for him, even if it means no other sumplementary players.

This will be my last post before the deadline as I won't be able to contact my guy the next several days. As of early this evening all signs pointed to Tejada heading to the Angels before the deadline. The front office wants the deal but Big Pete will have to sign off on it. He said we are asking for 4 players in return (2 prospects and 2 players on their 25 man roster). Other players may well go to LA. The front office knows this is a risky move but it's one that will set us up better for the offseason. He said Santana and Wood were 2 of the players we were asking for. Rosenthal has reported Aybar instead of Wood which may be due us asking for more players. The front office knows this move will be met with mixed reactions but they feel we'll be a better team and frees up Tejada's salary to pursue a big banger in the off season. Conine may also be heading to LA in the deal.

Other deals he's hearing are Hawkins to the Rockies and RLo to the Mets.

Believe it or not teams are still calling for these guys. He said the next couple days will active. That will be all from me. Maybe Belkast of Harv can bring us home the next couple days.

IF this turns out true, I will venture a best-guess:

Tejada and Conine for Kennedy, Kotchman, Wood and Adenhart

Why? Seems fair and doable all around.

They keep Kendrick and Santana. This is a move to make the playoffs this year, without sacrificing next. Kennedy is a salary dump, as he makes 3.5 mil per (about 2-3 mil too much hehehe) and with Kendrick they don't need/want him anymore.

With Miggy and Cabrera entrenched at SS and 3B the Angels can afford to deal Wood (albeit w/heavy hearts). Wood may play SS as early as next year, but if not quite ready then Fahey can. Kennedy will likely be dealt in the offseason or released. Kotchman could man our 1B spot for a long time and Adenhart is a special talent from the local area.

With all that being said, I'd naturally prefer a Santana/Wood for Miggy deal :)

This will be my last post before the deadline as I won't be able to contact my guy the next several days. As of early this evening all signs pointed to Tejada heading to the Angels before the deadline. The front office wants the deal but Big Pete will have to sign off on it. He said we are asking for 4 players in return (2 prospects and 2 players on their 25 man roster). Other players may well go to LA. The front office knows this is a risky move but it's one that will set us up better for the offseason. He said Santana and Wood were 2 of the players we were asking for. Rosenthal has reported Aybar instead of Wood which may be due us asking for more players. The front office knows this move will be met with mixed reactions but they feel we'll be a better team and frees up Tejada's salary to pursue a big banger in the off season. Conine may also be heading to LA in the deal.

Other deals he's hearing are Hawkins to the Rockies and RLo to the Mets.

Believe it or not teams are still calling for these guys. He said the next couple days will active. That will be all from me. Maybe Belkast of Harv can bring us home the next couple days.

IF this turns out true, I will venture a best-guess:

Tejada and Conine for Kennedy, Kotchman, Wood and Adenhart

Why? Seems fair and doable all around.

They keep Kendrick and Santana, keeping their rotation set.

This is a move to make the playoffs this year, without sacrificing next. Kennedy is a salary dump, as he makes 3.5 mil per (about 2-3 mil too much hehehe) and with Kendrick they don't need/want him anymore.

With Miggy and Cabrera entrenched at SS and 3B the Angels can afford to deal Wood (albeit w/heavy hearts). Wood may play SS as early as next year, but if not quite ready then Fahey can. Kennedy will likely be dealt in the offseason or released. Kotchman could man our 1B spot for a long time and Adenhart is a special talent from the local area.

With all that being said, I'd naturally prefer a Santana/Wood for Miggy deal :)

Don't give 'em ideas Greg... it's Santana and Wood/Aybar or bust.

Santana's already agreed upon by both teams. It appears Wood vs. Aybar is still an issue. I like Aybar but Wood is a MASHER. You need to hold out for him, even if it means no other sumplementary players.

100% agree. As long as those two are involved, I'm good.

If they want to take Conine's automatic option off our hands and are willing to add a mid-level prospect. Super.

I'm really shocked they caved on Santana. They must be despirate, so I'd definitely squeeze Wood out of them and call it a day.

Greg: Rosenthal has said the Angels have offered Santana, the O's would be FOOLS to allow him to leave the deal. Santana is a must for me, with Wood the next biggest must. From there it really doesn't matter much.

Again...I'd give something up of value (one of our own pitching prospects) to get Wood....over Aybar

I agree I think Aybar ends up being only slightly better than Fahey. I think Wood is a deal breaker if i am the GM.

Is this pretty much confirmed?

I just got back from work to find an explosion of Tejada threads each about 7 pages deep...so I very well could have missed this...

Wood, Kendrick, Adenhart, Morales, Kotchman, Aybar...whatever, it's basically a pick em. All unproven, all prospects. Santana is the key.

Let's just say, hypothetically, the Angels offered like 5 great prospects -- 2 arms and 3 position players -- *or* Santana and Aybar.

Would you take Santana + Aybar over, say,

Wood SS/3B

Kotchman or Morales 1B

Mathis C or Aybar SS

Adenhart or Saunders

Arrendondo

That'd be a real tough call for me anyway, but I'd probably take the 5 and let them keep Santana.

Let's just say, hypothetically, the Angels offered like 5 great prospects -- 2 arms and 3 position players -- *or* Santana and Aybar.

Would you take Santana + Aybar over, say,

Wood SS/3B

Kotchman or Morales 1B

Mathis C or Aybar SS

Adenhart or Saunders

Arrendondo

That'd be a real tough call for me anyway, but I'd probably take the 5 and let them keep Santana.

I am biased- huge Santana fan. I think he's going to be special.

So yes, I'd take the Santana deal. The idea of him and Bedard anchoring the rotation for the next few years just strikes me as a safer bet than adding only unproven- albeit talented- players.

I agree I think Aybar ends up being only slightly better than Fahey. I think Wood is a deal breaker if i am the GM.

Slightly better than Fahey? When has Fahey ever been among the top 100 prospects?

Top 100

2006 - 46. Erick Aybar, ss, Angels

2005 - 39. Erick Aybar, ss, Angels

A list of guys from the pre-season who have spent time in the majors this year and are "on track" according to Baseball America.

4. Jeremy Hermida, of Marlins

6. Francisco Liriano, lhp Twins

7. Chad Billingsley, rhp Dodgers

8. Justin Verlander, rhp Tigers

9. Lastings Milledge, of Mets

10. Matt Cain, rhp Giants

11. Prince Fielder, 1b Brewers

15. Ryan Zimmerman, 3b Nationals

17. Conor Jackson, 1b Diamondbacks

21. Nick Markakis, of Orioles

22. Jon Lester, lhp Red Sox

24. Bobby Jenks, rhp White Sox

30. Hanley Ramirez, ss Marlins

34. Scott Olsen, lhp Marlins

35. Joel Zumaya, rhp Tigers

36. Mike Pelfrey, rhp Mets

37. Jonathan Papelbon, rhp Red Sox

41. Anthony Reyes, rhp Cardinals

42. Russell Martin, c Dodgers

46. Erick Aybar, ss Angels

51. Brian Anderson, of White Sox

53. Jeremy Sowers, lhp Indians

54. Craig Hansen, rhp Red Sox

57. Jered Weaver, rhp Angels

58. Jason Kubel, of Twins

63. Jonathan Broxton, rhp Dodgers

66. Kenji Johjima, c Mariners

68. Cole Hamels, lhp Phillies

69. Yusmeiro Petit, rhp Marlins

78. Kendry Morales, 1b Angels

80. Josh Johnson, rhp Marlins

89. Andre Ethier, of Dodgers

94. Ronny Cedeno, ss Cubs

95. Tom Gorzelanny, lhp Pirates

96. Matt Kemp, of Dodgers

98. Chuck James, lhp Braves

That's pretty good company. I'd rather have other guys instead of Aybar as well, but let's not pretend this guy has no value and won't turn into a quality major leaguer.

Plus he held his own during his call up to the majors, albiet only for a short time.

E Aybar LAA SS 21 20 3 6 1 1 0 1 9 0 3 0 0 .300 .450 .300

Is this pretty much confirmed?

I just got back from work to find an explosion of Tejada threads each about 7 pages deep...so I very well could have missed this...

Yes, the Angels are offering Santana and Aybar. The Os want Santana and Wood. bigbird says 4 players would be coming back, 2 on the 25 man roster (Santana one) and 2 prospects (one would be Aybar or Wood), with Conine and maybe someone else going back to ANA.

Archived