Tejada deal up to Angelos

bigbird

Again...I'd give something up of value (one of our own pitching prospects) to get Wood....over Aybar

I'd give up a pitching prospect not named Penn, Loewen, Cabrera (if he can be called a "prospect" again at this point...), or Liz. We have to remember that we are dealing from the power position here. We shouldn't have to give up much more than Tejada to get the players we want. Now, if Kotchman or Morales and Mathis were added to the deal, I'd be willing to trade any of our pitching prospects to make it happen.

In other words, I'd do Tejada and Finch/Johnson/Olson/Birkins (pick one) for Santana and Wood. Or I'd do Tejada and any pitching prospect for Santana, Wood, Kotchman/Morales (pick one), and Mathis. Of course I'd prefer to keep Penn, Loewen, and Liz, but we do need a first baseman in a major way. A lot depends, I guess, on what the plan for Gibbons is. Or if we can get Shealy from the Rox on the cheap, we should do that.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, the Angels are offering Santana and Aybar. The Os want Santana and Wood. bigbird says 4 players would be coming back, 2 on the 25 man roster (Santana one) and 2 prospects (one would be Aybar or Wood), with Conine and maybe someone else going back to ANA.

Looking more in depth into wood's numbers he does look like a Adam Dunn at SS. Man he does K alot but has a high OBP and something i did not know about his 15sb 1 cs. He is a must to be in the deal IMO.

Let's just say, hypothetically, the Angels offered like 5 great prospects -- 2 arms and 3 position players -- *or* Santana and Aybar.

Would you take Santana + Aybar over, say,

Wood SS/3B

Kotchman or Morales 1B

Mathis C or Aybar SS

Adenhart or Saunders

Arrendondo

That'd be a real tough call for me anyway, but I'd probably take the 5 and let them keep Santana.

No, I'd do the second one. Although if it was Santana + Wood, i'd take that over the five person trade (with Aybar instead of Wood).

Now I might actually have to get up tomorrow to see if anything's happening. I usually sleep until 1 PM on Saturdays. Rats. :cool:

Seriously, I'm excited about this. Angelos doesn't sit in a quiet room with this plan in front of him in a vacuum, does he? I'm sure Duquette/Flanny must be trying to convince him about the upside of this deal. He's not an idiot. Right? Somebody please tell me I'm not being delusional here and that he might actually say yes. Now my hopes are up, which is never a good thing with this team.

Now I might actually have to get up tomorrow to see if anything's happening. I usually sleep until 1 PM on Saturdays. Rats. :cool:

Seriously, I'm excited about this. Angelos doesn't sit in a quiet room with this plan in front of him in a vacuum, does he?

You must have seen The Natural. The owner, the one with the dark office? Angelos. ;)

Like me, the news will still be the news, noon, 1pm-ish tomorrow. :P

If the O's were smart they should offer Benson too. Tejada, Benson, and Conine for Santana, Wood, Mathis, and Adenhart. That helps us big time. Benson and Tejada is like 20 mill off the books. We have a rotation of Bedard, Santana, Loewen, Penn, Cabrera. We could even not spend the 20 mill.

You must have seen The Natural. The owner, the one with the dark office? Angelos. ;)

Like me, the news will still be the news, noon, 1pm-ish tomorrow. :P

Does that mean he is going to shoot Tejada if he doesn't get traded?

Would be great if we could make the Tejada trade with Santana, Wood, and 2 other guys coming back, trade Tejada and Olson/JJ for Shealy and Baker, and Rodrigo for Diaz.

I think you made a mistake in here...

Sorry, BB, No disrespect meant ---But I don't believe it.

I believe this is what you are hearing, but I don't believe it is true. It makes no sense.

You are saying that the Angels are going to trade their top winning pitcher to help themselves in a pennant race. Not happenin'.

Pitching wins and with Santana, Lackey and Weaver they have a chance in the playoffs. Without Santana they are dead meat.

The only way this works is if the O's include Bedard and that ain't happenin' either.

Maybe there is a deal for Miggy with the Angels, but I find it very hard to believe the Angels are trading Santana. Not when Colon has been just plain bad.

I find it hard to believe they would trade Santana as well. However, please don't use wins as your main argument why. Santana is their 4th best pitcher in terms of ERA, and the only one below him is Colon who would surely start in the postseason if healthy. So they can spare him.

They also have Joe Saunders in AAA, who's been lights out and can step into the rotation. Their current rotation is all right handers, I can't see them going into the post season without at least 1 lefty in the rotation.

The lefty part is a total non factor imo.

I'd say the package would have to be Santana, Figgins, Aybar and Saunders or possibly Mathis. And I have little doubt Angelos will nix it. He probably doesn't know any of these players from a hole in the ground and he doesn't trust Duquette, Flanagan or any GM he's ever had.

No chance we're getting all that back unless we add someone good like Benson or Gibbons.

2 pitchers and 2 SS's?

Santana Rivera Wood Adenhart for Tejada and Conine?

You nailed it. THAT is the deal we see tomorrow.

No chance imo! Santana and Wood, ok that's certainly possible. But we're not getting much better than that, and Rivera and Adenhart is much much better than that.

Archived