Tejada deal up to Angelos

bigbird

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure I would be all about getting Shields back in this deal. I'd almost be more compelled to ask for another good prospect or two instead. Too risky to get a reliever back in a deal like this, IMO.

Previous posts have stated how upset Mora would be if Tejada got traded. Well, I think the fans should be upset. Not because we trade Tejada, but because we signed Mora to an extension. Trading Tejada makes the Mora extension look worse and worse by the minute.

Doesn't make sense for the Angels to trade Shields and doesn't make sense for us to ask for him.

Just posted this thread on the ESPN board for the Angels.

I couldn't find a better site for the Angels, so I posted it there. Interested to see thier reaction.

What if the two were Tejada and DCab?

Santanta and Wood take their two spots for the O's, and the addition of DCab (instead of say, Conine) keeps the Angels' rotation intact, meaning that they part with a higher order of prospect(s), say Saunders/Adenhart and Kotchman?

In short:

Tejada and DCab

for

Santana, Wood, Adenhart and Kotchman

Interesting post and one I had considered as well, that's wierd :eek:

I doubt we send anyone Cabrera for awhile... but you never know.

I see everyone is getting their hopes up. I can't believe the Angels would deal Santana unless they are very high on Saunders or have a pitcher coming in this deal or another deal. Since Bedard is untouchable and Benson is hurt, it doesn't look like we can give them a ML starter. Assuming that Santana is coming here's my best guess.

Santana, Aybar, Morales for Tejada & Conine

I, too, can't believe they would deal Santana, with Escobar pitching in pain every time, and Colon sidelined again.

Maybe three solid starters are enough in the postseason with Escobar, Lackey, Weaver. But, they have to get to the postseason first.

If I were them I would counter Baltimore with Saunders, Wood, Morales, Aybar for Tejada/Conine and tell them they have an hour to accept it or else I am going after Soriano with the same offer.

Me too. I'm sure they don't mind giving up Aybar and some other lesser prospects. I imagine any mention of Santana, Kendrick, or Wood will meet a negative reaction. I will be surprised if we get one of those guys. Pleasantly surprised. Absolutely pleasantly shocked if we get two of them.

Got to think they would have a deal for another pitcher.

I just don't see how a pending FA like Soriano has close to the same value as a 3+ year player like Tejada. If I were the Angels I would get Soriano for a lot less. Can't believe that Tejada & Soriano deals will be that close in value.

No, Soriano doesn't have the same value.

The point is- LAA would be smart to make PA ---- or get off the pot. LAA should force the issue with a very fair take it-or leave it offer with a deadline or else they will be screwing around with the O's FO until they realize it is ten minutes before the deadline and PA takes his ball and goes home. And they are left with nothing.

If I were the Angels, I would also be trying to get Soriano for alot less.

I've thought about it some more and I think the following deal would be approved by Angelos.

Angels get:

Tejada

Javy

Hawkins

O's get:

Brandon Wood

Nick Adenhart

Kendry Morales

Think about it. We'll get a SS that is compared to Cal Ripken. A local product in Adenhart that could be a Number 1 or 2 starter and a solid (Cuban!) first basemen. I think Angelos could be sold on that deal since he could easily envision the marketing potential of those players

Santana, Rivera, Adenhart

Kendrick, Saunders, Adenhart

Shields, Santana, Rivera

That's 3.

I'd throw in Conine, Hawkins, etc.

If it w/help and we could clearly dicument that he's ok, I'd include Benson. He's solid, and that w/help hold down a rotation spot. I'd want a little mor from their end of course.

Aybar got traded to the Braves; I mite have taken him in a deal.

I'm not that crazy about Wood. Lotsa errors and lotsa strikeouts. Kotchman, maybe, but I'm not seeing much power w/him. PLus he gets hurt.

I think we have every right to demand a top guy and a couple of good ones. This is Miguel Tejada for crapsakes!! MIGUEL TEJADA!

Greg: Rosenthal has said the Angels have offered Santana, the O's would be FOOLS to allow him to leave the deal. Santana is a must for me, with Wood the next biggest must. From there it really doesn't matter much.

I understand, it's just that I'm having a hard time believing that Santana is being offered. :)

I agree 100% that we should try to get Santana in any trade, but I will say this as well; I would prefer Wood as the #1 option over Santana. Why? We need hitting moreso than pitching as we head into the future of this franchise. Get position players back to help offset the loss of Tejada and with our young pitchers developing, we have the makings of an exciting young team for many seasons to come.

We have quite a few projected ML Starters in our system, from Loewen/Penn/DCab to Olson/Liz/Erbe/Beato/Johnson. While Santana would excite me to no end, getting Wood to man SS in Miggy's place would help secure that position as a point of strength. Besides Wood, I imagine Kotchman and Adenhart may be coming as part of the remaining package.

Either way, any fair trade w/ the Angels would seem to be a potential favorable one for the O's. Get 'er done! :D

A big problem is referred to in the title of this thread.

"Deal up to Angelos". :confused:

I understand that he has to give the approval to trade Miggy. But, he must have done that before Flanny/Duq begin to negotiate with other GM's.

So once that approval to make a deal is given, why does he have to approve the specific players in the deals ? :confused:

Is PA himself telling the baseball people who the best players to get back are ?

Here we go again. Palmiero FA- I, Mussina, IROD, Lee, Burnett fiasco all over again. :(

PA has to "win" every negotiation. Therefore, any negotiation will drag on and on until either the other side throws their hands up and walks away, or caves in.

Knowing that PA has to "win" at every negotiation (as if their can't be a win-win for two teams involved in a deal) a smart GM would always low-ball the he!! out of the Orioles knowing that PA is involved and will insist on "winning" the negotiation.

You have to make him feel like he has "won". Low-ball and work up to your best offer. As opposed to offering a fair deal in the hopes that it is accepted.

Deal up to Angelos?

We shouldn't even be talking to any clubs unless Angelos has already given the go ahead on a trade. Secondly, since we aren't bringing extra money onto the payroll and Angelos knows nothing about baseball or prospects compared to Duquette, why should he be involved at all in the final decision at all, or giving his ok? It must have been given already, or we are even more dysfunctional than I thought. Bigbird?

Thats what I said last night but of course the Angelos apologists jumped on me, he should not be involved in this decision. It's not like he can sit there and say well I've seen this prospect and he is going to be a bust.

Deal up to Angelos?

We shouldn't even be talking to any clubs unless Angelos has already given the go ahead on a trade. Secondly, since we aren't bringing extra money onto the payroll and Angelos knows nothing about baseball or prospects compared to Duquette, why should he be involved at all in the final decision at all, or giving his ok? It must have been given already, or we are even more dysfunctional than I thought. Bigbird?

Yes, most likely the FO got approval to go ahead and negotiate a deal for Tejada. But, after a deal is finalized- PA must sign off on it.

Isn't that the gist of both Tony's comments and of what we all have been saying and hearing for years- we are dysfunctional because the FO has to constantly go back and forth to PA at every step of the way to get his approval and/or "guidance".

Deal up to Angelos?

He likes havig a star on the team from what I'm told. He'll save like $5 million for this season. Wonder if LA is wanting some cash back?

Archived