Prince Fielder or Bust

jonglo

I just don't think the Orioles have enough depth/enough chips to effectively trade for Fielder.

Britton is untouchable, IMO. Matusz as well. Arrieta, too. The common component for the past decade plus of futility has been no starting pitching. The O's are on the verge of a special, young rotation...and some people want to dismantle it for a year of Prince Fielder's bat.

Not a good move.

Then you look at the positional depth in the minors, and who do you really have to choose from? Manny Machado? Nobody is going to bite on a Prince Fielder for Tillman, Waring, Mahoney, Givens deal...they're just not.

Again, this comes to the farm system having been so neglected for such a long time that moves like this become impossible, or extremely detrimental if they are made. Just because the O's could really use a big bat like Fielder, doesn't mean they have the accumulated minor league talent to pull a deal like that off.

I think OH has a unrealistic cost of Fielder. Because the Brewers haven't traded him yet the price is going down daily.The closer he gets to free agency the lower the price.Britton,Machado....they don't get that any more.

Were talking Tillman,Bell Vandanhurk package should get it done.

We need to better 2 first rd picks.Thats the going price right now.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think OH has a unrealistic cost of Fielder. Because the Brewers haven't traded him yet the price is going down daily.The closer he gets to free agency the lower the price.Britton,Machado....they don't get that any more.

Were talking Tillman,Bell Vandanhurk package should get it done.

We need to better 2 first rd picks.Thats the going price right now.

The Brewers aren't going to trade one of their two most marketable players before single-game tickets go on sale for another team's spare parts and question-mark prospects. There are factors stretching beyond "baseball decisions" that make such moves entirely unrealistic.

Fielder's value will start to rise as the season goes on from where it is now. You know there will be a team willing to part with a bit more near the July trading deadline if they're one hitter away from a post-season appearance.

I still won't touch him before FA. And even then, I have a hard time meeting his demands. He's not in good shape physically and I have questions about his attitude. And if you look at his dad, by the time Cecil was 33 there was a 70-point slugging PCT drop. Long term deal for Prince? No way, Jose!

The Brewers aren't going to trade one of their two most marketable players before single-game tickets go on sale for another team's spare parts and question-mark prospects. There are factors stretching beyond "baseball decisions" that make such moves entirely unrealistic.

I disagree.What you need to look at are guys that are traded with 1 year from free agency.Gonzalez was traded for PROSPECTS...the center piece in the deal had a 5.00 ERA in double A ball.Tillman as the center piece is much better outcome for Brewers.

The truth is we should have traded for Gonzalez because he is a better player,but that means Fielder should be cheaper in prospects and money to sign long term.

The Angels didn't offer Tex enough to change his preference for the East Coast.

Cliff Lee gave the Rangers an opportunity for the 7th year - they declined.

Sabathia, again wasn't offered enough by the Brewers

Beltran wanted to stay an Astro but the Mets offered more.

Sounds like the commonality in your explanation is that the player went to the team that offered the most money (except Lee, but that was close).:scratchchinhmm:

I disagree.What you need to look at are guys that are traded with 1 year from free agency.Gonzalez was traded for PROSPECTS...the center piece in the deal had a 5.00 ERA in double A ball.Tillman as the center piece is much better outcome for Brewers.

The truth is we should have traded for Gonzalez because he is a better player,but that means Fielder should be cheaper in prospects and money to sign long term.

Please read John's post above about signing Fielder long term. Its a mistake.

Of course, that player with a 5.00 ERA in AA is rated higher than Britton, our #1 prospect.

The Angels didn't offer Tex enough to change his preference for the East Coast.

Cliff Lee gave the Rangers an opportunity for the 7th year - they declined.

Sabathia, again wasn't offered enough by the Brewers

Beltran wanted to stay an Astro but the Mets offered more.

So what you're saying is that those guys all left those teams because they didn't offer enough money? So if we want him so bad, can't we just be the team that offers him the most money next year, and let some other team be the poor saps that trade a boatload of prospects just to be jilted a year later?

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

What do either of these have to do with the discussion at hand?

Some talking head has said that Casey Kelly is a can'tmiss prospect.So good that he is the guy that San Diego has to have in a Gonzalez trade.This is an opinion and not a good one either.

History has shown us that prospects are overated.For every Elvis Andraus(SP) trade were prospect are traded for MLB established starter there are 20 trades for prospects that get you nothing.Look at the Santana trade.....the haul for the best pitcher in basebal got the twins nothing,and why is that?

People continue to overate guys that haven't done a thing at the MLB level.

Some talking head has said that Casey Kelly is a can'tmiss prospect.So good that he is the guy that San Diego has to have in a Gonzalez trade.This is an opinion and not a good one either.

History has shown us that prospects are overated.For every Elvis Andraus(SP) trade were prospect are traded for MLB established starter there are 20 trades for prospects that get you nothing.Look at the Santana trade.....the haul for the best pitcher in basebal got the twins nothing,and why is that?

People continue to overate guys that haven't done a thing at the MLB level.

You know, Albert Pujols was once a prospect and had to play in the minors because the Cardinals said there were better players on the ML team..........how'd that turn out.

Archived