Prince Fielder or Bust

jonglo

You know, Albert Pujols was once a prospect and had to play in the minors because the Cardinals said there were better players on the ML team..........how'd that turn out.

Yeah ,after Albert played his 1 year in the minors they realized they had no better players and made him the starting 1b.....turned out well for them.

We actually did well that draft got Roberts and Bedard.....we missed out though on the best player in the draft Puljos

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah ,after Albert played his 1 year in the minors they realized they had no better players and made him the starting 1b.....turned out well for them.

We actually did well that draft got Roberts and Bedard.....we missed out though on the best player in the draft Puljos

So, it sounds like prospects do turn out to be good players doesn't it?

So, it sounds like prospects do turn out to be good players doesn't it?

Really?You need a list of failed CANT MISS PROSPECTS?

No one who has watched the last 20,30 years of the birds should every get so caught up in what the mediots say to not seriously consider trading prospects for established MLB players.

Really?You need a list of failed CANT MISS PROSPECTS?

No one who has watched the last 20,30 years of the birds should every get so caught up in what the mediots say to not seriously consider trading prospects for established MLB players.

Nope, just need you to acknowledge that great ML players were once prospects.

Some talking head has said that Casey Kelly is a can'tmiss prospect.So good that he is the guy that San Diego has to have in a Gonzalez trade.This is an opinion and not a good one either.

History has shown us that prospects are overated.For every Elvis Andraus(SP) trade were prospect are traded for MLB established starter there are 20 trades for prospects that get you nothing.Look at the Santana trade.....the haul for the best pitcher in basebal got the twins nothing,and why is that?

People continue to overate guys that haven't done a thing at the MLB level.

2010 NL All-Star Team:

Yadier Molina - 4th round

Brian McCann - 2nd round

Albert Pujols - 13th round

Adrian Gonzalez - 1st round

Ryan Howard - 5th round

Chase Utley - 1st round

Martin Prado - amateur FA

Brandon Phillips - 2nd round

Hanley Ramirez - amateur FA

Jose Reyes - amateur FA

Omar Infante - amateur FA

Troy Tulowitzki - 1st round

David Wright - 1st round

Scott Rolen - 2nd round

Ryan Braun - 1st round

Andre Ethier - 2nd round

Jason Heyward - 1st round

Michael Bourn - 4th round

Marlon Byrd - 10th round

Corey Hart - 11th round

Matt Holliday - 7th round

Chris Young - 16th round

Chris Carpenter - 1st round

Yovani Gallardo - 2nd round

Roy Halladay - 1st round

Tim Hudson - 6th round

Ubaldo Jimenez - amateur FA

Josh Johnson - 4th round

Tim Lincecum - 1st round

Adam Wainwright - 1st round

Jonathan Broxton - 2nd round

Matt Capps - 7th round

Evan Meek - 11th round

Arthur Rhodes - 2nd round

Brian Wilson - 24th round

Heath Bell - amateur FA

Carlos Gonzalez - amateur FA

Joey Votto - 2nd round

Billy Wagner - 1st round

Ryan Zimmerman - 1st round

Yeah, so, now I'm bored and have no intention of adding the AL team, but...

...point being: scouting and stuff is...uh...important, and, as stirring as that Pujols example was, 28 of the 33 above-mentioned, drafted players were selected in the first 10 rounds of their drafts (and 24 of those were taken in the first 5 rounds).

Shorter point being: history has shown us that your version of history is dumb.

So what you're saying is that those guys all left those teams because they didn't offer enough money? So if we want him so bad' date=' can't we just be the team that offers him the most money next year, and let some other team be the poor saps that trade a boatload of prospects just to be jilted a year later?[/quote']

We need his bat next year, not just in 2012.

2010 NL All-Star Team:

Yadier Molina - 4th round

Brian McCann - 2nd round

Albert Pujols - 13th round

Adrian Gonzalez - 1st round

Ryan Howard - 5th round

Chase Utley - 1st round

Martin Prado - amateur FA

Brandon Phillips - 2nd round

Hanley Ramirez - amateur FA

Jose Reyes - amateur FA

Omar Infante - amateur FA

Troy Tulowitzki - 1st round

David Wright - 1st round

Scott Rolen - 2nd round

Ryan Braun - 1st round

Andre Ethier - 2nd round

Jason Heyward - 1st round

Michael Bourn - 4th round

Marlon Byrd - 10th round

Corey Hart - 11th round

Matt Holliday - 7th round

Chris Young - 16th round

Chris Carpenter - 1st round

Yovani Gallardo - 2nd round

Roy Halladay - 1st round

Tim Hudson - 6th round

Ubaldo Jimenez - amateur FA

Josh Johnson - 4th round

Tim Lincecum - 1st round

Adam Wainwright - 1st round

Jonathan Broxton - 2nd round

Matt Capps - 7th round

Evan Meek - 11th round

Arthur Rhodes - 2nd round

Brian Wilson - 24th round

Heath Bell - amateur FA

Carlos Gonzalez - amateur FA

Joey Votto - 2nd round

Billy Wagner - 1st round

Ryan Zimmerman - 1st round

Yeah, so, now I'm bored and have no intention of adding the AL team, but...

...point being: scouting and stuff is...uh...important, and, as stirring as that Pujols example was, 28 of the 33 above-mentioned, drafted players were selected in the first 10 rounds of their drafts (and 24 of those were taken in the first 5 rounds).

Shorter point being: history has shown us that your version of history is dumb.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLb&columnid=2&articleid=27501

Top 100 prospects 2002

Nothing wrong with my history.

This was going to come up.You know its been 20years?This is the problem with OH. Scared to be bold because we made a bad trade 20 years ago.

We can't change that.Move on.Trade for Prince.Its what the team needs,a serious game changing batter in the MOO.

Not scared, just pointing out that the blanket mindset that prospects won't pan out and established players are guaranteed to continute at their current levels of performance is kind of dumb. My guess is that if you were to look at the worst trades in the history of baseball - Glenn Davis, Fregosi for Ryan, Andersen for Bagwell, etc. - they would all be prospects for established players.

This is not to say that there's not a time to trade prospects for "stars", just that expecting it to automatically work out doesn't make sense. It depends on the situation, it depends on the prospects, and it depends on the star.

Not scared, just pointing out that the blanket mindset that prospects won't pan out and established players are guaranteed to continute at their current levels of performance is kind of dumb. My guess is that if you were to look at the worst trades in the history of baseball - Glenn Davis, Fregosi for Ryan, Andersen for Bagwell, etc. - they would all be prospects for established players.

This is not to say that there's not a time to trade prospects for "stars", just that expecting it to automatically work out doesn't make sense. It depends on the situation, it depends on the prospects, and it depends on the star.

What Fielder is is a 26yo masher.81 games at the yard would just be incredible.We need a 1b now.Why are we not getting the best one available to us?

Archived