Source: Orioles Close To Signing Kevin Gregg To Two Year Deal

Brendan25

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Daniel Bard is by far the best of the bunch. The longer he is kept out of the closers role the better. Papelbon and Jenks are sinking ships.

Agreed... I think Papelbon might bounce back but the Jenks ship has sailed. This has Eric Gagne part 2 written all over it.

Would the Orioles offer him the closers job to get him here?

Why not? If he has a Gonzo like disaster opening day, we have Koji as his replacement.

It's not like we have someone totally set right now or that Gregg is such a horrible option.

(you just don't want him for multiple years, regardless ;))

What he said.

Grant Balfour is only a worthwhile signing at $1 million per season.

Balfour is the poster boy for what's wrong with the current draft pick compensation system. He's been worth about a win a year over the last three years, 180 innings of a 3.00. Decent enough pitcher, somebody you'd be reasonably justified in signing to a 1/5 or 2/10 kind of deal.

But since he'll cost you a 1st/2nd round pick worth upwards of $5M, maybe more, he's essentially valued at $0. He really would have been more valuable this offseason if he'd blown his last 6 saves and dropped to a Type B.

If he ever signs another MLB contract he'd do well to become the team's union rep, and work his butt off to get the compensation system fixed or eliminated.

Balfour is the poster boy for what's wrong with the current draft pick compensation system. He's been worth about a win a year over the last three years, 180 innings of a 3.00. Decent enough pitcher, somebody you'd be reasonably justified in signing to a 1/5 or 2/10 kind of deal.

But since he'll cost you a 1st/2nd round pick worth upwards of $5M, maybe more, he's essentially valued at $0. He really would have been more valuable this offseason if he'd blown his last 6 saves and dropped to a Type B.

If he ever signs another MLB contract he'd do well to become the team's union rep, and work his butt off to get the compensation system fixed or eliminated.

If he is a type A free agent that means he was offered arbitration and he refused, right? He messed up and should have accepted arbitration. Sounds like his agent screwed up to me. The system is working as intended from the players perspective IMO. He had two choices and picked the worst one.

Not sure I understand why this shows a need to fix the system, though it might need it for other reasons such as competitive team balance perspective (i.e. the rich better able to game the system denying the poor the balance it was intended to promote).

If he is a type A free agent that means he was offered arbitration and he refused, right? He messed up and should have accepted arbitration. Sounds like his agent screwed up to me. The system is working as intended from the players perspective IMO. He had two choices and picked the worst one.

Not sure I understand why this shows a need to fix the system, though it might need it for other reasons such as competitive team balance perspective (i.e. the rich better able to game the system denying the poor the balance it was intended to promote).

If Balfour had never been offered arbitration, he would likely receive that same arbitrated salary or more over a multi-year deal. Arbitration grants a player a one year contract, whereas some long-term stability might be favorable, especially to a reliever.

There's no question that Balfour would have received the most lucrative offer had he not qualified for type-A status, rather than if he had accepted arbitration or declined and come at the cost of a draft pick.

First problem is that a guy who's put in the requisite service time to qualify to go to the team of his choosing can't do that, or really have much of any choice at all, because the compensation the system has in place for signing him is more valuable than he is. Basically the system says that if you play well, but are in a role that limits your market value like middle relief, you don't get to really be a free agent.

Second problem is that the system was supposedly put in place to compensate teams when they lose a player they paid a lot of money to develop. Balfour was signed by the Twins many years ago, has changed organizations multiple times, and yet the Rays will be compensated for losing him.

You mention the problem of rich teams gaming the system in ways poor teams often feel they can't.

Archived