Reporting in

bigbird

Yes that is entirely possible... my presumption is that to compete you need two Tejada type offensive guys.... Delgado/Beltran, Manny/Ortiz, ARod/insert any name here, Konerko/Thome, Ripken/Murray... now, if we traded Tejada for the Angels offer, we'd be better, but still be 2 BIG bats away... now as you point out, you could easily sign one FA with the money you save from Tejada, and then you'd be even more improved, but to me, still not in the class with Mets, Yankees, Redsox... now, that isn't to say we need to sign another expsive FA, if a prospect that we acquire could produce like say David Wright, then we'd have 2 impact offensive players.. so I agree with that trade and signing one FA we'd be 3rd place probably 8-10 games out instead of 21.

Maybe not...You should check out Wood's minor league numbers.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wood was not included based on what he said. Before the deadline he mentioned we needed 2 players fro the major league roster and 2 prospects to deal Tajada. When's the last time Stoneman has dealt top prospects?

Got to think Flanny and Duq know what they are doing.

Hey guys, got to throw my two cents into this one real quick. I don't think Wood was offered in this deal and I think what BB said above it good evidence of that. Stoneman does not like giving away top prospects and for all that we know, he might be releasing this info that he offered Wood, Aybar, and Santana, just to save his own face in this whole situation. I cannot see the our two-headed monster being that naive and stupid to pass up on those three guys just to get kotchman included. Just sounds like the Angels are trying to blow some smoke...you know the rest of that saying. However if the O's did pass that up, I don't know how I'd react.

Hey guys, got to throw my two cents into this one real quick. I don't think Wood was offered in this deal and I think what BB said above it good evidence of that. Stoneman does not like giving away top prospects and for all that we know, he might be releasing this info that he offered Wood, Aybar, and Santana, just to save his own face in this whole situation. I cannot see the our two-headed monster being that naive and stupid to pass up on those three guys just to get kotchman included. Just sounds like the Angels are trying to blow some smoke...you know the rest of that saying. However if the O's did pass that up, I don't know how I'd react.

The FO could fall in love with that deal, but if PA doesn't see any big names coming back he's not going to give it his blessing.

Maybe not...You should check out Wood's minor league numbers.

I give the report that Wood was added to the package has as much validity as the report that Rob Neyer thought was credible enough to doubt that Santana was available.

Maybe both are somewhat right, maybe when Colon had to go on the DL Santana was pulled and Wood offered in his place.

I don't think the FO is that stupid, but I wouldn't put it past PA.

Im totally fine with not trading Tejada for anything less than the 4 players mentioned. Would St. Louis trade Pujols for anything less than that package or what they demed they wanted for him, at any stage of team developement?

Tejada is that type of player. Top 5 in baseball. We didnt NEED to trade him, Angelos doesnt WANT to trade him and from what he says, HE DOESNT WANT TO BE TRADED. These were other teams approaching US.

I think you are a giving Tejada a little too much credit. He's a great player, and obviously the best SS in baseball. However, I would not call him a top 5 player in all of baseball, nor would I compare him to a trade return value of Pujols.

Also less than a year ago he was scratching to get out the door, and when he realized he wasn't going to join Ortiz in Boston he's decided to come off those demands.

So, you knew:

1) That the Orioles wanted 4 players from the Angels.

2) That the MASN deal is close.

3) That no team wanted Nioner because of his option and we don't want to pay any of it.

4) That part of the reason we didn't make these deals was because we are still worried about this year.

YOu knew all of that?

Come on SG...if someone would have asked you these same questions, you'd be saying "Of course I knew, if you didn't, then you just haven't been paying attention."

1. BB said a while back that they wanted 2 MLB players and 2 prospects.

2. MASN has been talked about a lot again lately...suggesting that something is going on...doesn't take much to think a deal is getting closer.

3. No big surprise about the O's not wanting to pay Conine's option...they just don't send money along with a traded player...or take back bad contracts.

4. It was reported earlier in July that they wanted to make some trades, but didn't want to give fans the impression they were giving up on the season. They don't change gears that quickly.

EDIT: I should also say that I'm not taking away from BB's post...it's always good to read what he has to say...and to confirm things that we have been getting mixed reports about.

The FO could fall in love with that deal, but if PA doesn't see any big names coming back he's not going to give it his blessing.

Very true and just to clearify, I was not involving PA in what I said. I was just trying to express my opinion about Stoneman and our guys. If Peter was to nix that deal, that is something I would not be shocked about, however if our two guys nixed it instead and didn't even let it get to Peter, that is what i would be extremely upset about. PA is an entity to be associated with only amongst himself.

1. BB said a while back that they wanted 2 MLB players and 2 prospects.

I didn't know this.

2. MASN has been talked about a lot again lately...suggesting that something is going on...doesn't take much to think a deal is getting closer.

We have seen it could take a year to get this done.

3. No big surprise about the O's not wanting to pay Conine's option...they just don't send money along with a traded player...or take back bad contracts.

I think it likely you can assume this.

4. It was reported earlier in July that they wanted to make some trades, but didn't want to give fans the impression they were giving up on the season. They don't change gears that quickly.

I am not sure that was in July...That may have been earlier...We also know they actively shopped these guys and we also know they stated that they stopped doing things waiting for the Tejada stuff to settle.

There is no way i felt Hawkins and Roddy would still be here.

I rolled my eyes since you come along and can my question and then purport to point me to the "bright side.":rolleyes:

Nor did I demand an immediate response to the question. He can feel free not to respond at all.

Point out where I have speculated / complained about not pulling the trigger on Tejada. I'm simply curious as to what kind of package we were looking for.

Read what I said. I said it is going to lead to it, now look at the thread...

I was telling you there was a bright side to everything he was reporting. To me, the fact we didn't get a deal done is upsetting since it was so streamlined.

Rolling your eyes looks snobish. Not just when you do it, in general.

I don't think we can trade Tejada for prospects until the end of the offseason. I can't imagine how we are going to lure a high priced FA here when our "confederate" money hasn't been good enough the last 3 years.

If we trade Miggy for a #1 or #2 starter that would be great. We still would be faced with more of the same until these prospects emerge, which hopefully they will. We then would still be lacking the power we have been looking for since 1998.

You have to get some help in here first before you trade away your franchise player. Unless you are just throwing the towel in and rebuilding

The MASN deal, by the way, is close. You can go to their website and read about how this will be going to arbitration possibly sometime before next season. You can also check out Ray Frager's recent blog entry or go to the Washington Post. The story was there about 4 days ago.

Read what I said. I said it is going to lead to it, now look at the thread...

I was telling you there was a bright side to everything he was reporting. To me, the fact we didn't get a deal done is upsetting since it was so streamlined.

Rolling your eyes looks snobish. Not just when you do it, in general.

I have had nothing to do with the direction of this thread. I simply asked a question for Bigbird, you decided to come along and opine as to the merits of my question.

Also, I thanked you for pointing me in the direction of the Sunshine. Though I don't believe I needed any help there.

Beginning a statement with "Not to be rude," is rude.

Yours Truly,

The Snob:rolleyes:

Im totally fine with not trading Tejada for anything less than the 4 players mentioned. Would St. Louis trade Pujols for anything less than that package or what they demed they wanted for him, at any stage of team developement?

Tejada is that type of player. Top 5 in baseball. We didnt NEED to trade him, Angelos doesnt WANT to trade him and from what he says, HE DOESNT WANT TO BE TRADED. These were other teams approaching US.

It always cracks me up when the old "the O's don't NEED to trade him" rationale come out in these Tejada discussions.

Nor do they NEED to finish above .500. And recent history indicates they won't, either, until some major roster changes are made.

JMHO, but there's no realistic way to achieve major roster changes without making a Tejada trade the centerpiece.

I have had nothing to do with the direction of this thread. I simply asked a question for Bigbird, you decided to come along and opine as to the merits of my question.

Also, I thanked you for pointing me in the direction of the Sunshine. Though I don't believe I needed any help there.

Beginning a statement with "Not to be rude," is rude.

Yours Truly,

The Snob:rolleyes:

Well maybe you weren't here the last 3 weeks when all we talked about was trades with the Angels. That was made when we could actually make trades with them.

We are still talking about this after the fact. If you don't think that is a little obsessive, then I guess its all on you.

The fact I wrote "not to be rude" is because this is a message board and sometimes people can read something and take it out of context and then spin if off the wrong way, which you did anyways.

If you have anything else to say to me, do it off this thread.

I am not sure that was in July...That may have been earlier...We also know they actively shopped these guys and we also know they stated that they stopped doing things waiting for the Tejada stuff to settle.

You're right about the comment concerning not wanting to give the fans the impression they were giving up on the season. It was from Roch's blog on June 20th....almost July, like I said, but not quite.

Archived