Is signing Markakis and Cruz enough to make the O's WS Champs?

wildcard

Is signing Markakis and Cruz enough for the O's to win the World Series?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is signing Markakis and Cruz enough for the O's to win the World Series?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

The Markakis and Cruz pursuit is in progress and we will not know the outcome for a while but here is the question.

If the O's do nothing more then add these two players back to the team, is that enough to win the World Series?

1B - Davis

2B - Schoop/Flaherty/Navarro

SS - Hardy

3B - Machado

RF - Markakis

CF - Jones

LF - De Aza/Cruz/Pearce

C - Wieters

DH - Cruz/Pearce

UIF - Flaherty

BUC - Joseph

1B/DH/LF/RF - Pearce

25th man - Lough/Paredes

Starters

Tillman

Gausman

Chen

Gonzalez

Norris

Jimenez

Relievers

Britton

O'Day

Hunter

Brach

Webb

Matusz

McFarland optioned to AAA to be recalled for injuries.

DD continuing to add AAA depth.

DD making his normal low cost additions in July.

Is that enough to win the World Series?

If no, what addition(s) should the O's make?

Additions of healthy Machado, Wieters in walk year, any improvement at all from Davis, any improvement at all from Jiminez and adding Cruz, Nick back adds up to a very potent mix. I think it wins the AL East. Playoffs only depend on who is hot those two weeks, not the best team over 162 games. Make it to the playoffs, then you take your chances.

Additions of healthy Machado, Wieters in walk year, any improvement at all from Davis, any improvement at all from Jiminez and adding Cruz, Nick back adds up to a very potent mix. I think it wins the AL East. Playoffs only depend on who is hot those two weeks, not the best team over 162 games. Make it to the playoffs, then you take your chances.

I think that depends on how much the Red Sox do. Adding Lester and Sandoval (Miller?) makes them tough to beat given what they added at the deadline.

I'd like to see another solid arm for the pen too.

I think that depends on how much the Red Sox do. Adding Lester and Sandoval (Miller?) makes them tough to beat given what they added at the deadline.

Oh, I don't think that DD will stop with signing Cruz and Markakis. That was not the poll question. But the Red Sox finished 25 games behind last year. They have yet to sign either Lester or Sandoval. Lester maybe, but I think Sandoval stays in the NL and on the West Coast, either SF or SD.

If the O's do nothing more then add these two players back to the team, is that enough to win the World Series?

1) There is no way to ensure a World Series victory. Other than having a combination of a playoff team and a ton of luck. If you know where to buy some luck that would be a start.

2) It's pretty darned likely that Cruz and Markakis will be worth considerably less next year than they were in 2014. I'm hoping Markakis holds off decline for a year or two. But I'm assuming Cruz will be down 1-2 wins, hoping it's not more.

So... 3) They are going to have to make up the difference, plus the likely falloff from Pearce, maybe a bit from Hardy, and maybe a bit from the staff. Machado should help. Wieters might, too.

If no, what addition(s) should the O's make?

If the O's resign both Markakis and Cruz it's hard to see where they're going to make any major acquistions. In theory I'd like to see a better LFer, but I'm not sure anything will match up to a decent price and a clear upgrade over the platoon currently there. The rotation and pen seem set.

It appears they're okay with rolling with what they have, hoping it's enough to get to the postseason, and seeing if they can get a little luckier this year.

Giving this some more thought, and I realize that with DD it's about making it to July as a contender, then adding before the non-waiver deadline and then adding players who cleared waivers in August. So, I guess I do think that where we would be with the N&N boys (Nick and Nelson) added is probably enough to get us to July as a contender, but I would hope they'd do more.

This ! We need a dominate starter and a real 2nd baseman. Not to mention a left fielder.

This ! We need a dominate starter and a real 2nd baseman. Not to mention a left fielder.

Every year we hear the same refrain. "Dominant starter", "ace", "TOR" are necessary. Well, even if they are, we have never signed one as a free agent and we won't this winter either. We are not signing the Scherzers, Lesters, etc. of the free agent universe. We either develop those kinds of pitchers internally from the draft, i.e. Gausman or Bundy or we win without them as we did in 2012 and 2014. An AL East title was won by us just this past season, EASILY, WITHOUT an ace. It can certainly be won in 2015 without an ace if we have similar, multiple good performances from our five starters. Lough/DeAza along with Pearce/Cruz (if we sign him) will split the time in left field and left field will be fine. Schoop is going to be the surprise beast of 2015, imho. Nobody will be saying anything on this board about needing a second baseman this time in 2015. I think a left handed arm for the pen and perhaps a better utility infielder (although we have stuck with Ryan this long and have won).

Archived