Underrated and Overrated player on OH

Sports Guy

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Underrated: Scott (by far) Runner-up: Jones

I'm amazed at how many posts I see that talk about trading Scott. He was our best offensive player (by far) the last season, has a favorable contract, and is under team control for a few years. Jones gets hated on for his lack of plate discipline, but he has put up good numbers over the last two years and hasn't reached his 25th birthday. His defensive may not be gold glove, but he's not as bad as some people here would have you believe. He's a possible center piece.

Overrated: Pie, Runner-up: Arietta

Pie has yet to put together a full quality season in the big leagues and doesn't bring a whole lot to the table skill wise. Poor instincts. Arietta's peripherals at the big league level last year scream a 6+ ERA and a trip back to AAA before June. Both of those guys are talked up quite a bit here.

With the caveat I posted above, I'll try to weigh in.

I think Pie was tragically underrated at the time of his acquisition, but probably generally fairly rated right now (though he is still a very polarizing player).

I think Reimold was underrated as he climbed the ladder in the organization but generally overrated after his rookie campaign. He might be fairly rated right now, but I can think of a few posters who I think are expecting too much.

I think Scott was underrated at the time of his acquisition but largely overrated now.

I think Tillman has been underrated throughout most of his Oriole career (save for shortly after he made the BA top 20) and perhaps no more than right now.

I know this won't be popular but I believe Jim Johnson is overrated.

I fear that prospects Manny Machado, Mychal Givens, Joe Mahoney, and Ryan Adams may be a tad overrated by some, while Ryan Berry might be a tad underrated.

Mostly, though, I think the OH is a well read group of fans and provides pretty good perspectives. We may be a little too close to the guys in question to judge fairly, but I think when we see outlying opinions expressed on the board, they are generally just that - outliers.

Over-rated: Koji. If it wasn't for his closer stint late last season this guy would be half a joke in my opinion. The hamstring, the personal masseuse, the pollen, the humidity, the inability to do any stretching or throwing, etc. We all remember.

Koji is very good when the planets and moons align and he's able to pitch. He was awesome as a closer during the Showalter run.

However, we as fans can't set the bar too high for our expectations for this guy. Odds are he spends some time on the DL in 2011.

Under-rated: Jim Johnson I cringed several times during the Reynolds negotiations when several posters suggested dumping Johnson off to the D'Backs. Trading JJ this offseason would have been a huge mistake IMO. It would be a sell low move. This guy has shown that he has dominant stuff when that sinker is rolling. He claims to be 100% this offseason and a 2008-esque Jim Johnson in this 'pen this year is a scary thought. For other teams that is.

Overrated: Felix Pie - the guy can't stay healthy or produce consistently and people still want to give him his 3rd chance at taking the LF job. He's a 4th OFer at best.

Underrated: Adam Jones - A lot of people were ready to give up on Jones and still are, but the MLB Network guys made a great comparison to Bernie Williams yesterday. Unlike Pie, Jones still has Torii Hunter potential and he's got a great chance to break out this season.

Archived