Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

5 hours ago, section18 said:

I don't want him gone so badly as you state.  He is my favorite Oriole.  AJ is a smart guy.  In the past players have been offered something ( money) to waive a no trade clause. Is he looking for a piece of the pie? If we save as a writer said $7.2 million with this deal is Adam thinking give me a mill or two of that money? Save 5 million let's say and get one or two prospects back for him? Wherever he goes he will have expenses for his family whether it's living in a luxury hotel or month to month condo. Philly is a different story but he will still have expenses living there short term and maybe longer if he signs with them in the off season. He can keep an eye on things in Baltimore easily if he signs with them next year.  One of the writers who said he hasn't accepted a deal yet said something like at this time he hasn't accepted a deal leaving open the possibility.  He is already a multi-millionaire but probably wants some of that $7.2 million the Orioles would save.  How much will it take to sway him to accept the deal? 1 or 2 million? Part of the money needed to pay for Cal Ripken's house. I believe he was to settle/close on his house in July.  He may already have closed on it and it's holding him back. It's a beautiful home he'll probably move into and live in when on the east coast. He's already said he understands why it makes sense to trade a player like him in the final months of his contract for players to help the team and then coming back to sign with the same team.  It doesn't sound like that's guaranteed at the moment. 

Why do you assume it is money?  Adam took a below market deal to stay with the club. He could have demanded a Chris Davis like contract to stay with the team.  But he didn't.  Why can't he just want to finish the season with the team that he has been with 11 years?  If he is your favorite Oriole just enjoy the rest of the season with Adam on the team.  

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Why Not? said:

I also fear that the Jones / Orioles relationship will end with acrimony. Whether it ends in the next 36 hours or during the offseason, I hope it ends with the same class and dignity that we have seen with Machado, Britton and Brach. I don't want this to wind up like the Murray trade or Mussina departure.  

I blame this on DD. He should have shown Adam Jones the respect he deserves by asking him about his feelings about waiving no trade rights before shopping him around.  

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

I blame this on DD. He should have shown Adam Jones the respect he deserves by asking him about his feelings about waiving no trade rights before shopping him around.  

John Angelos had dinner with Jones in the past week or ten days. I'd assume this came up. If it didn't, shame on the club. But I agree, work with Jones. If he won't accept a trade, stop listening to offers. Jones has earned it.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Why do you assume it is money?  Adam took a below market deal to stay with the club. He could have demanded a Chris Davis like contract to stay with the team.  But he didn't.  Why can't he just want to finish the season with the team that he has been with 11 years?  If he is your favorite Oriole just enjoy the rest of the season with Adam on the team.  

Adam Jones did not take a below market offer.    At the time, he was a guy with a .756 career OPS (top year .792) who’d hit more than 19 homers one time.    The deal he signed was very fair to both sides. What happened was, after he signed it he really blossomed as a player, making the all star team 4 years in a row.    The deal turned out very well for the Orioles but it wasn’t really a lopsided deal for the team when it was signed.    Both parties took some risks.   

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Adam Jones did not take a below market offer.    At the time, he was a guy with a .756 career OPS (top year .792) who’d hit more than 19 homers one time.    The deal he signed was very fair to both sides. What happened was, after he signed it he really blossomed as a player, making the all star team 4 years in a row.    The deal turned out very well for the Orioles but it wasn’t really a lopsided deal for the team when it was signed.    Both parties took some risks.    

And he has made 34 million the last two years to be a replacement level player. The deal was fair

I love Adam Jones.  He's easily one of my favorite Orioles of all time.  When he was a young man, my wife saw him in the hallway at FanFest and had a very nice chat with him, and from what I can tell, he hasn't let fame and fortune change him at all.  I saw some highlights the other day of our playoff celebration on the field at OPACY, with Jones pieing fans in the front row around the first base line.  Good memories.  As a fan, I am glad he wants to stay the rest of the year, and I'm not opposed to bringing him back next year under the right scenario.

All that said, I agree with the OP in regards to I hope the relationship between Jones and the Orioles doesn't become sour in the next two months.  If Jones chooses to stay, I can see a scenario where Duke wants to bring up Mullins and move Jones out of center.  Its not a lack of respect, its more to see what we've got with Mullins, but Jones could see it as a disrespectful move.  We also know Buck loves Jones and will be on his side, so a move like this could also negatively impact an already "prickly" relationship between Buck and Dan.  And then, of course, there is the thought of "why doesn't Jones want to play for a contender for the next two months?"  The only reason I can see is because he loves it here, wants to resign next year and become a lifelong Oriole, but I don't know that this is in the Orioles plans.

So yeah, it could turn ugly.  

For all that Jones has meant to this orginazation and still means to the community It doesn’t look good on the Originazation to leak that a trade is in place for him to the Phillies but Jones refused. It makes Jones out to be the villain. Not good business. Plus I find it hard to believe with the salary owed Jones his declining numbers at the plate and in the field that we would be getting anything of value for Jones. Having Jones in the clubhouse with a guy like Mullins and the other young guys about to head north will probably serve more value then anything we could get trade.

Couldn't agree more with webbrick, dipper & ags.  Hope it ends cool.  I love A.J. but understandably he's not very happy right now as change can be frustrating.  It seemed a bit evident in his choice of phrasing.

I said "uh oh" when I heard him saying things like “They can say whatever they want and propose whatever they want, but I can be like, ‘Ehh, you know what? That doesn’t work for me,'”.  Even more of an uh-oh was when he kind of said under his breath, "...and they're not doing that here" in response to his own comment about Manny next contract.

All of true of course, but wrapped in a slightly adversarial tone.  Them vs. Me kind of stuff.  In the end, it's all men (and ladies) for themselves so I get it.

2 minutes ago, G0Birds said:

Couldn't agree more with webbrick, dipper & ags.  Hope it ends cool.  I love A.J. but understandably he's not very happy right now as change can be frustrating.  It seemed a bit evident in his choice of phrasing.

I said "uh oh" when I heard him saying things like “They can say whatever they want and propose whatever they want, but I can be like, ‘Ehh, you know what? That doesn’t work for me,'”.  Even more of an uh-oh was when he kind of said under his breath, "...and they're not doing that here" in response to his own comment about Manny next contract.

All of true of course, but wrapped in a slightly adversarial tone.  Them vs. Me kind of stuff.  In the end, it's all men (and ladies) for themselves so I get it.

Submitted the above post and forgot to add the other "uh oh" comment I read.  On Thursday in response to whether he's be approached about a trade, Jones said “Not yet,” Jones said. “But I think there’s definitely going to be some discussions soon because I guess I’m next in line to get off the books. Pretty rough comment my friends. There's a lot in there.

Again, like jrobb just said, not good form on the O's part to talk trade with other teams and not already have a full understanding of his thoughts, desires, etc.  Maybe they did, but from the tone of what's been in the media it doesn't seem like the relationship is great right now.  It's a shame because he's one of the all-time great Orioles.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

And he has made 34 million the last two years to be a replacement level player. The deal was fair

He had 2.6 WAR last season and has .5 WAR this season.  Hardly replacement level over the last 2 years.  He has 32 WAR over his career with the Orioles and made close to 100 million. I would think that is a great deal for the team. 

15 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I doubt he gets much if any negativity from media or fans. The national media is always on the Orioles case about something, and local media loves AJ. As for negative fan reaction...have you read some of the angry comments on other sites about trading Brad Brach? Many fans don't understand or care about the business side of baseball.

And the return they will get for Jones isn't worth stressing over either way.

This is the key for me. If a good prospect or piece was being offered then I'd want Jones to waive his no-trade cost, but I'm not going to dump him to a contender only to get a C-level guy back. that would be disrespectful to a guy who means so much to the franchise and it's fans.

I do want to say this though, the uprooting of his family stuff is so overblown it's not funny. First off, why would his family need to uproot for two and half months left of this season? Now maybe I'm just looking at this from a guy who was separated from his family for months at a time many, many times including a year long and five month deployments. So you'll need to excuse my huge roll of the eyes if a multi-millionaire will be "separated" (he literally could fly them and keep them with him if he wanted) from his family during the stretch run.

But back to the issue at hand, the only way I'd ask Jones to waive his no-trade is if we could really get a nice piece back from him and I don't think he as the value for the to happen so we might as well use him to help the young guys get acclimated to the bigs! I don't want to see Jones wearing pinstripes for a stretch run when the return is minimal.

I'm happy to have #10 stay in uniform the rest of the year. Now saying all of that, the decision on his next contract and whether he fits into a rebuilding team that has depth in  outfield prospects is the one that will be tough.

Tony,   let's assume that Jones stays with the Orioles for the rest of 2018........as it appears will happen.

What would you do with Mullins for the rest of the year?    Would the O's be able to let Mullins play some CF in September you think?  Or would that be too 'disrespectful' to Jones?   Should Mullins just 'wait his turn' until 2019?

14 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Tony,   let's assume that Jones stays with the Orioles for the rest of 2018........as it appears will happen.

What would you do with Mullins for the rest of the year?    Would the O's be able to let Mullins play some CF in September you think?  Or would that be too 'disrespectful' to Jones?   Should Mullins just 'wait his turn' until 2019?

If it were me, I'd ask Adam to move over so we could evaluate Mullins in center. 

Honestly though, this situation could give us a glimpse into the mind of Buck and whether he intends to be back he next year or whether he's going to go out on his terms. If Mullins is promoted and he's played in left field instead of center, then that would be him telling Dan he'll do what he wants.

If that's the case than it will be interesting to see how that plays out because the way Duqeutee is everywhere doing interviews once again and talking about the future, whether he has a contract or not he seems to be guy in charge right now.

Archived