Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

Slowly, Jones’ offensive numbers are starting to look like they normally do.   The guy has his hot and cold streaks, but his numbers from season to season don’t vary a whole lot.    OPS is now .746, OPS+ is 100.    The big offensive concern remains that he’s not walking at all, even by his normal standards.    .268 BA only translates to a .288 OBP.

Defense, of course, remains a huge issue.    

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope he gets to a contender, and if that contender happens to come to Camden, look forward to seeing him beat the Nick Markakis/Rougned Odor record for ovation granted a visitor.  He'll need to keep up the good version of himself to make the Indians want him instead of Melky Cabrera, the Cubs instead of Albert Almora, etc.

The Mariners not only have the need with the Cano suspension and Gordon going back into 2B, but they also get back about $12M in payroll room because Cano's unpaid while out.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Slowly, Jones’ offensive numbers are starting to look like they normally do.   The guy has his hot and cold streaks, but his numbers from season to season don’t vary a whole lot.    OPS is now .746, OPS+ is 100.    The big offensive concern remains that he’s not walking at all, even by his normal standards.    .268 BA only translates to a .288 OBP.

Defense, of course, remains a huge issue.    

Is it me, or has he lost a lot of range just this season?  His range was already below average for a CFer, but now he's letting balls drop that most decent corner OFers typically catch.  

The bottom line is that the Orioles need to do the right thing for them and Adam, and trade him to a contending team.  He gets another crack at the playoffs and a possible WS title, and the Orioles get (hopefully) a solid prospect or two.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Is it me, or has he lost a lot of range just this season?  His range was already below average for a CFer, but now he's letting balls drop that most decent corner OFers typically catch.  

It's not you. He has very limited range and no arm. Not many teams would have him in center. 

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

He's been the slowest CF in MLB this year, and slower than the vast majority of corner outfielders too.

His 26.5 ft/sec average sprint speed would place 33rd out of 41 LFers and 35th out of 40 RFers with at least 25 sprint plays. 

That data is from baserunning speed, not defensive plays, but... still. Whatever good instincts and glove skills he has, it can't make up for that much.

3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

He's been the slowest CF in MLB this year, and slower than the vast majority of corner outfielders too.

His 26.5 ft/sec average sprint speed would place 33rd out of 41 LFers and 35th out of 40 RFers with at least 25 sprint plays. 

That data is from baserunning speed, not defensive plays, but... still. Whatever good instincts and glove skills he has, it can't make up for that much.

Slower than Mancini.

Just let that sink in.

19 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I wouldn't say he has "no arm." Range isn't good though.

When was the last time you saw Jones throw to a base trying to get a runner instead of just hitting the cutoff man. Sorry but he has a very weak throw. It is what it is. 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

When was the last time you saw Jones throw to a base trying to get a runner instead of just hitting the cutoff man. Sorry but he has a very weak throw. It is what it is. 

You're supposed to hit the cutoff man.  

1 hour ago, Spy Fox said:

Ouch, it's been sad to see this season.  If we trade him to a contender, it's pretty much gotta be as either a LFer or RFer - meaning we can't expect to get much other than satisfaction that he's playing for a contender.  Adam's goodwill has not lost a step.  

Archived