Bubba Starling

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. All that, and his name is Bubba Starling. Reason enough right there to want to draft him. But you have to be pretty confident you can sign him to take him with the 4th pick, considering the other players who are highly regarded and don't have the option to play big time football.

This is the guy that I have been hoping is the real deal. He was recruited by almost every big time college football program that you could think of. Some of them were really surprised when he picked Nebraska. And a few of them have always thought he would choose a baseball career over football.

I think he will never see a college football game. Especially now that the Offensive co-ordinator and the Quarterbacks coach have both been fired by Bo pelini.

Like Golson, but I think he is going to be slot WR -- at least for next season. Could fit Kelly's mold at QB in a spread, but I think he'll need to work to climb the depth chart at this point. Assuming Crist can stay on the field for two full games in a row, he, Rees and Massa would (I'd think) be the trio competing for QB this spring/fall.

Just my thoughts. Golson is definitely exciting.

No slot for Golson, Massa is moving to reciever, Hendrix, Golson, Rees and Crist are in the mix at qb Go Irish.

I really hope that Starling is the real deal and the Orioles draft him.

Considering the sucess we have had with Avery; I would love to see us draft this guy.

Avery has had two and a half pro seasons and 1300 PA, and just got a taste of AA last year.

I would not be surprised to see Starling in an MLB lineup before two and a half years of pro ball. Heck, he might beat Springer to MLB.

The best I heard was once in a generation athleticism in a player destined to play Center Field. He plays 3 sports, so the amount of formal instructional time received in baseball pales in comparison to most top prospects. Tabula Rasa for our coaching staff (for better or worse)

Apparently he started showing off a curve last spring, and it wasn't half bad considering that he had never thrown one before.

He would pitch and play OF at Nebraska, I think.

As talented as some say that Starling is, it sounds like he's a bit raw on the baseball skills side of the equation. Why would you expect a quick ascent to the majors for such a player? Although Bubba can pitch, it looks like his ceiling is bigger on the hitting side. The last football star with baseball upside to be drafted was probably Donovan Tate. Although injuries have held him back, he looks like a project, with 41 K's in 90 AB's in rookie ball last year. He might not have had as much hype as Starling seems to be getting but I bet it's not that far off. The thing that scares me about guys like this is that people get so rapped up in their physical abilities (how hard they throw and how far they can hit a baseball) that we forget that maybe the guy can't hit a good curveball or even recognize a good curveball. If he can't he certainly isn't getting to the majors in 2 1/2 years. And the IF is a valid if, especially with HS hitters.

Bubba has better pure offensive baseball skills than did Tate at the same age. I can understand why comparisons might be drawn, but they are (I think) different animals.

What jumped out most about Starling these past nine months was how significant his improvements were in such a short period of time. Exposed to more advanced coaching and focus on baseball (Team USA, Area Codes, Under Armour) and he picked things up incredibly quickly. He seems to me like a player who will take very well to pro instruction and will potentially move quickly. I have fewer concerns with Starling than I do with Springer.

As talented as some say that Starling is, it sounds like he's a bit raw on the baseball skills side of the equation. Why would you expect a quick ascent to the majors for such a player? Although Bubba can pitch, it looks like his ceiling is bigger on the hitting side. The last football star with baseball upside to be drafted was probably Donovan Tate. Although injuries have held him back, he looks like a project, with 41 K's in 90 AB's in rookie ball last year. He might not have had as much hype as Starling seems to be getting but I bet it's not that far off. The thing that scares me about guys like this is that people get so rapped up in their physical abilities (how hard they throw and how far they can hit a baseball) that we forget that maybe the guy can't hit a good curveball or even recognize a good curveball. If he can't he certainly isn't getting to the majors in 2 1/2 years. And the IF is a valid if, especially with HS hitters.

Starling will probably not have the usual learning curve. He is a freak.

Ok, please continue to talk me into this guy because I'd prefer a high celing position player at #4. I'll continue to play devil's advocate for the time being. Just watched a Keith Law video scouting report with Starling on the mound. At the time, Starling was 88-91 MPH and Law states that he's had little pitching instruction and that his potential (I'm assuming he meant as a pitcher or hitter) is limitless. However, Law says that at that point he would take Starling as a pitcher. Again, it certainly doesn't sound like he's a no brainer lock as a hitter. If so, I'd expect Law to lean that way. I'll continue to search articles and video on Bubba to confirm or question the stuff I've been reading on this board. I'm still skeptical that a lot of the hype comes from the fact that he's excellent at so many things. In the end, it's how does he project as a ML hitter.

P.S. This kid is going to be a really tough sign. Boras is his agent and he has tons of leverage with college and being a dual sport star.

If he's really a top 5 pick, it's going to take 10M to sign him. Could be one of thse situations where he drops to a big spender like the Red Sox or Yankees who can afford to gamble a late round pick on him.

Your video report was made after the Tournament of Stars. I spoke with Law in person at the Area Code Games a month later and he told me he was not in the "Starling is a pitcher camp", more undecided. Starling also improved greatly between the Tournament of Stars (which led into the trials for the USA Baseball 18U Trials), playing on Team USA, the Area Code Games and the Under Armour All-America scout workout and All-America Game.

I don't see any way a kid asks for $10 M. That would beat the current record for a HS position player by 66% (Tate and Machado each signed for around $6 M, I believe). Even though Starling has stated he is not sure what he wants to do (Nebraska or baseball) there is a strong belief in the industry that he wants to play baseball and will sign (not sure why people seem so sure about him and concerned about Bradley's signability).

Finally, agents know that hard slotting could be right around the corner, so I don't see anyone turning down good money this year. I think Starling could get around $6 M -- maybe a bit more since he's a 2-sport player and can have the money spread out.

Whatever reports you dig up, consider the source. Lots of regurgitation out there on Starling and lots of old info (Law's report is even a bit outdated at this point, being from June and with Starling improving).

Would a comparison to Mike Trout be accurate at all? The kid seems to be oozing with potential. Like Trout he's obviously an amazing athlete and could move very quickly especially if his coachability is really as high as it is being described in this thread.

Would a comparison to Mike Trout be accurate at all? The kid seems to be oozing with potential. Like Trout he's obviously an amazing athlete and could move very quickly especially if his coachability is really as high as it is being described in this thread.

Different body from Trout. May be a little bit behind Trout in refinement, but could be a better athlete. Better arm, comparable speed (Trout is going to slow down some w/his body type).

there is a strong belief in the industry that he wants to play baseball and will sign (not sure why people seem so sure about him and concerned about Bradley's signability).

Maybe it's quotes like this one from a couple of weeks ago, when he signed at his HS:

“Obviously, it’s something I would have to consider, but it’s going to take a lot of money for me not to go to Nebraska,” Starling said.

Sounds like someone who is ready to be wooed.

The last time he was on a baseball field, he was being mentioned down at #10-#15, I think. As his stock rises, the slot money and presumably the overslot possibilities both get bigger. I think a bonus in excess of $4MM would be tough to turn down, and I imagine that Boras will be advising him that the same money might not be available in three years. And of course there is always the injury risk.

Kansas City Star, Feb. 11

Archived