Bubba Starling

Considering the amount of money we threw around this offseason, I think Starling might be a little too rich for our blood.

I think a mid-tier guy like Bundy (Bundy brothers, FTW!) is a real possibility here, IMO.

Are you the O's accountant? That's just ridiculous to say. The O's need talent and this is the cost of doing business in the amatuer draft. It is comparably cheap to the stupid signings like Danys Baez for $18mil guaranteed.

You have to draft the BEST talent.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering the amount of money we threw around this offseason, I think Starling might be a little too rich for our blood.

I think a mid-tier guy like Bundy (Bundy brothers, FTW!) is a real possibility here, IMO.

I would be surprised and disappointed if a one-year rental on Vlad forces them to go cheap in the first round of this draft.

In fact I would be furious.

Are you the O's accountant? That's just ridiculous to say.

Not sure if you saw this, but we deferred $3 million of Vlad's salary. Perhaps that means nothing in the long run, but AM alluded several times to the fact that the O's were in danger of running over their budget this offseason.

That said, I know just as much about what's in the bank as you, which is to say "nothing."

I would be surprised and disappointed if a one-year rental on Vlad forces them to go cheap in the first round of this draft.

In fact I would be furious.

I believe if McPhail was seriously concerned with his draft budget he would not have signed Vlad. If they do go cheap because of the Vlad signing I would also be furious.

I think signability and money are always an issue. All things being equal I think the O's go with someone they consider an easier sign. However, if Jordan thinks Starling is head and shoulders above the college pitchers, I do think they would take him.

I think this is true of every team.

And add me to the list of people who will be furious if the O's have to go cheap in the draft because they signed Vlad. Unless it results in a playoff spot, that is absolutely not okay.

Not sure if you saw this, but we deferred $3 million of Vlad's salary. Perhaps that means nothing in the long run, but AM alluded several times to the fact that the O's were in danger of running over their budget this offseason.

That said, I know just as much about what's in the bank as you, which is to say "nothing."

Well most good organizations have a major league roster budget as well as a amateur draft budget. If the O's are sacrificing what they can spend on the draft, which is their whole future, for a rental and deferred small payment on Vlad then I have no hope for this franchise.

I don't think this is the case. Sorry.

If any of you have a Dick's Sporting Goods around you, stop in and grab the Baseball America HS preview magazine they have. Its only 15 or so pages but it highlights the preseason AA team, top 25, etc....

There is a small article in it about Starling...I must say, you can not read the article and come away anything but impressed with this guy.

Right, but my point is that the O's won't touch Bubba unless they think he's a LOT better than someone like Jungman, Barnes, or whatever college pitcher they like at #4. I'm thinking the odds are greatly in favor of a college pitcher being our #4 pick unless Jordan is gaga over Starling, assuming Starling is even there at #4.

In fairness, he shouldn't take Starling over the college pitchers if he's not gaga over the guy. The college pitchers have very nice upside and will be ready soon. Similarly, it's not like Barnes is chopped liver, though we'll see how this year goes.

Starling should only go over them if we're gaga for the guy. I am, in a very manly way of course.

I'm not very knowledgable about prospect ratings and the like, but I would like to know about this guy is simple.

How does he compare to Griffey Jr. at this point?

Because if there is even a 10% likelihood he has a similar career path, you have to draft him and dump a truck load of cash in his front yard. The risk is worth the reward if this is the case. A 20 year old impact bat in the OF would push this team to the next level.

Otherwise, go with the pitcher.

I'm not very knowledgable about prospect ratings and the like, but I would like to know about this guy is simple.

How does he compare to Griffey Jr. at this point?

Because if there is even a 10% likelihood he has a similar career path, you have to draft him and dump a truck load of cash in his front yard. The risk is worth the reward if this is the case. A 20 year old impact bat in the OF would push this team to the next level.

Otherwise, go with the pitcher.

The alternative isn't a replacement level player. It's a guy who has maybe a 50% chance of being Tim Lincicum.

There's a very good case for going "safe" here, even though I personally wouldn't want us to as of today.

jimcallisBA Jim Callis

Starling. @luke_jackson10: If you're Joe Jordan and you can take Springer, Starling or Barnes, who are you taking? #Orioles #mlbdraft

Callis just tweeted this, thought it might be interesting for some people. I personally have little to no clue with the draft.

jimcallisBA Jim Callis

Starling. @luke_jackson10: If you're Joe Jordan and you can take Springer, Starling or Barnes, who are you taking? #Orioles #mlbdraft

Callis just tweeted this, thought it might be interesting for some people. I personally have little to no clue with the draft.

I agree with Callis FWIW, though I think that question was a bit of a softball. I'm not particularly high on Springer or Barnes as a top 4 pick.

Archived